Spring is in the Air!

Woke up to freshly-white ground at my house this morning...but it's less than an inch deep. Now it's sunny.
Pretty without being problematic. ;)

A foot of heavy wet snow this morning to clear to make it down the hill for my annual physical. I beat doc to his office. Another six inches on the road now with much more to come. And, it looks like we are about the only ones still with power. It will probably be getting dark here soo

Couldn't decide if I should post this here or in the winter thread. But since it is talking about warming, I decided to put it here. Also because this thread was handy. Also because Ski is still having winter. :) Feel free to move it to the winter thread if it matters.

Interesting look at warming trends over time. It is not my imagination that our winters are not as cold as they used to be:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 1.22.38 PM.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/16/climate/us-winter-warming.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Carson City measured at my house 16" of that white stuff, wet and heavy.. warm here and has been settling and packing down... We are at 5000 feet elevation. we have not had that much snow in many years like we used to get.

Oh and to add, my doctor did not make it to the office for my appointment this morning and cancelled.

ski3pin said:
A foot of heavy wet snow this morning to clear to make it down the hill for my annual physical. I beat doc to his office. Another six inches on the road now with much more to come. And, it looks like we are about the only ones still with power. It will probably be getting dark here soo
Power came back on last night after 40 hours. The initial foot of heavy wet cement stuck to the cedars like glue. It looks like a war zone, branches on roofs, lines down everywhere, roads blocked. We went through over a week without power 25 years ago. The day after power was restored I installed propane hot water heater and a propane cooktop, so we are always warm and comfy. Most of our neighbors are clueless as how or why to use a shovel.........................

I imagine its worse where you live. Its not like living where its guaranteed you'll have snow every year. Easy to get complacent after a few drought years. Forty hours, wow thats a long time. Do you have a backup for the refrigerator? I suppose I could keep at least some of my stuff using the camper fridge. At least as campers we aren't complete strangers to living off the grid.

Snow everywhere, now it's warming up again and it's melting and everything is all mud! Dang, it's supposed to rain all week, seems like we are never happy ;) , hey, just makes WTWing more fun(glad I just bought a new patio mat :D )

Smoke

Ski, glad to hear your power is back. Hopefully the white stuff will help fill some reservoirs. It sounds like we are on for some more snow later this week. The transition to spring is taking a while this year.

craig333 said:
Do you have a backup for the refrigerator?
That's easy. The stuff in the refrigerator just goes outside the door on the deck in a cooler. No need to add any ice. Do not open the freezer door.

We spent today fixing two friends' snowblowers. Getting too aggressive in the slop breaks things.

Ah, spring time! We only received half of the forecasted 4 feet of snow but we received all the water content - heavy wet cement.

Snow-March-2018-019-copy.jpg

Snow-March-2018-020-copy.jpg

Thick, choked forests are a bad idea as was demonstrated with our recent power outage. Most all the power lines were brought down by cedars growing in thickets and were snow loaded on only one side and finally snapped under the load. Trees and branches damaged homes, cars, blocked roads, and one local resident was under a tree when it snapped.

Snow-March-2018-024-copy.jpg

Snow-March-2018-023-copy.jpg

Snow-March-2018-022-copy.jpg

Mother nature got to work with some pruning.

That's a big load of Sierra cement, ski3pin!

A few years ago I lost a couple big branches off juniper trees in my yard to a similar force...except it was Cascade concrete.
Nothing like that here this year...and I'm not complaining. :)

There's a big low-pressure system wound up off the west coast right now! :eek:

VCG15-19002018078.jpg

GOES West Visible

Ski I was wonder what the elevation is at your home..

We're suppose to get hammered here Tuesday night into Wednesday...1 to 3 inches...But our home is only about 825' ASL..

smlobx said:
Ski I was wonder what the elevation is at your home..

We're suppose to get hammered here Tuesday night into Wednesday...1 to 3 inches...But our home is only about 825' ASL..
4100'

The current "atmospheric river" funneling a warm wet system into California is due to mix with cold air from the north over the weekend now that Astronomical and Meteorological Spring have combined forces.

Friday Night
A chance of rain and snow showers before 11pm, then snow showers. Low around 34. South wind 9 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow showers. High near 38. South southwest wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night
A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

ski3pin said:
The current "atmospheric river" funneling a warm wet system into California is due to mix with cold air from the north over the weekend now that Astronomical and Meteorological Spring have combined forces.

Friday Night
A chance of rain and snow showers before 11pm, then snow showers. Low around 34. South wind 9 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow showers. High near 38. South southwest wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night
A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Thank goodness winter is over!

Something's in the air today but sadly it's not spring. 8 inches of new snow today! Wind is blowing at about 20 mph, gusts to 40 mph. Record low temps forecast for tonight, 9°F. What is up with that?

edit: update snow total- 12 inches on the deck and still snowing. April snow is not unheard of here but I checked- average high temperature here for this date is 51°F. This is kind of ridiculous, haha.

Ski, thanks for the offer! What's the top speed on that thing? Once you get past the mountains, should be clear sailing. I'll look for you around July 4. :)

Just finished a round with the community snow blower. More snow (maybe rain) forecast for the weekend. Here's hoping for rain, haha.

Our pair of special ed Stellar Jays are attempting nest building downstairs. We saw a Piliated Woodpecker on our morning walk today. Two to four inches of snow forecasted for overnight. Spring is in the air!

Had our first triple digits on Tuesday. 98 or so yesterday, supposed to cool back to the upper 70's for the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom