Spring is in the Air!

I dream of a world in which we are free from the chains that bind us to the notion that the 21st-ish of March, June, September and December carry any connection to "first day of [season]".
In that world, those days will be simply equinox, solstice, equinox, solstice

---Well said

We've had a late, but potent arrival in our neck of the woods on the west slope of the Sierra.
We had two different dumps of snow, turning our yard into a winter wonderland.

_DSC1812-X2.jpg

Ya... I hate March... it seems to have a mean heart ... sun is stronger and days give hope of the special thawing, smells of earth... seeing geese go north, mud season... this morning .........16" of fresh heavy snow.... but it is the start of sugaring season too... off to the sugar shack for a pancake breakfast! (I do long for a color that is not brown, grey or white)... even a stop sign looks good.

March is always the light at the end of the tunnel for us. While the big snows are common at this time of year, they don't last long. Fresh snow is always pretty, at least until you have to get the snowblower out, haha. Love that ever increasing sun!

We made syrup with our kids one year from the maples in our backyard. Boiled all night over a wood fire- attracted a crowd. Very fun- it was surprising how many people in the neighborhood didn't know where maple syrup comes from. We made 3 gallons and gave most of it away as gifts.

On our early morning walk this morning we heard a robin. It was the first bird sounds - other than the boisterous ravens - we have heard around here for a long time.

I've got a regular red shafted flicker visiting my back lot in Grass Valley . We've had snow in town and a covey of california quail were enjoying forage under the trees; the only bare soil to be seen with the late season snow cover. I've also spotted western bluebirds, but none have taken advantage of my BB box this year. Killdeer have been nesting in the adjacent golf course, and I hear their calls often. The lower oak/grasslands have more bird activity than the nearby snowy pine covered hills, where our house is located.

I've only seen one or two jays since fall...but woodpeckers -- northern red-shafted flickers, but also hairy and downy woodpeckers -- have been enjoying suet all winter long.

Flicker-suet_20180304-1.jpg

ski3pin said:
This morning was a riot of Stellar Jays. It was as if the bus just dropped them all off. :)
UPDATE: I guess "the bus" has arrived in Bend -- I saw a Stellar just now for the first time in weeks! :)

Yep Mark, those wood pecker types never seem to leave-they and the steller/scrub jays/tweeter birds have and easy touch here year round.! Pretty soon those Oregon juncos will start to arrive and it will really be Spring. Boy was that a short winter-what little of it there was! Starting to warm up here, rain instead of snow and I just bought a new pair of rubber boots for all that mud and water out there, must be time for some Spring time camping!

Smoke

This weather forecast equals more diesel -

Today
Rain and snow showers. High near 40. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight
Rain and snow showers likely before 11pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. East southeast wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Thursday
Snow showers, mainly after 11am. High near 37. East wind 6 to 11 mph becoming south in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 33. South southwest wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Friday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 37. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.

Friday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Saturday Night
A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Sunday
A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40.

We are melting snow at a mad rate now- still piles of the stuff around but not for long (unless we get Ski3pin's weather...).

Saw our first flock of Robins yesterday- that is a sure sign of spring.

Glad to hear there's snow forecast for California mts. We're getting some this week in the mts here, too, though not huge amounts.

A sign of spring here in Central Oregon -- around my house anyway: Chipmunks! The first I've seen in months. I guess they hibernate...?
Western gray squirrels have been active all winter.

craig333 said:
<snip> I might have to let the dog play in Ski's driveway!
Ole Riley won't have much fun on the cleanest road in the neighborhood! :)

But, stop by if you want to burn off some energy shoveling. We can always find snow to move. We might start selling snowmen - assembly required.

What's the going price for a snowman these days?
Do you deliver?
Looks like you are going to get a bunch more soon.
Still just spotty clouds here. The storms haven't given us much rain around our bay area.
But a lot over the hills around Big Sur where it does the most good.
The two main rivers that have dams on them are in the path of the rain.
Have fun with the "tool".
Frank

Back
Top Bottom