Spring is in the Air!

Cayuse said:
Had our first triple digits on Tuesday. 98 or so yesterday, supposed to cool back to the upper 70's for the weekend.
Wow! We should have a high of 40° today. The Lady shoveled the deck and walkways this morning. More snow Monday. :)

Right with ya...still patches of 6" snow in the field and woods here in westerner New England. Bears are out too.

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28
takesiteasy said:
Ski, thanks for the offer! What's the top speed on that thing? Once you get past the mountains, should be clear sailing. I'll look for you around July 4. :)

Just finished a round with the community snow blower. More snow (maybe rain) forecast for the weekend. Here's hoping for rain, haha.
We have to do our 50 hour service on a new tractor before we launch. We'll let you know when we're on our way. The Lady wants to come so now I'm working on a tiny travel trailer to pull.....................

............a little late but April 1st still works doesn't it? :)

ski3pin said:
We have to do our 50 hour service on a new tractor before we launch. We'll let you know when we're on our way. The Lady wants to come so now I'm working on a tiny travel trailer to pull.....................

You mean you were kidding? Darn! We got more snow coming this weekend! Craziest April ever.

An impressive line of severe thunderstorms from the Gulf Coast Florida to eastern Ohio fills the national weather radar map as I type this from my desk in my little CPA office. Fairly typical "Springtime is here" for the Mid-Atlantic. But it's still unnerving to see these systems traverse the country headed in your direction, especially one which has already spawned tornadoes in the previous 24-36 hours or so. We're pushing all of the electronic filing we can push through the system at this moment and making sure our network backup system starts early today in order that we will have that much less to re-create if we take a hit.

Third time in the last 6 years with tornadoes in the area on or about the deadline day! Run Forrest Run!

Foy

Foy, that system headed your way dumped 16 inches of snow on us and it is still snowing! We are breaking records left and right. I hope you escape unscathed with records intact!

ski3pin said:

Ski, I was going to suggest you put the tractor on air freight in light of our recent accumulation, but never mind- the airport is closed due to snow, haha.

takesiteasy said:
Foy, that system headed your way dumped 16 inches of snow on us and it is still snowing! We are breaking records left and right. I hope you escape unscathed with records intact!
. It's a big 'un alright. Eastern edge due within the hour and headed back to my office shortly to pull the backup tape. Cars and trucks on the street away from trees. That's about we can do.

takesiteasy said:
Ski, I was going to suggest you put the tractor on air freight in light of our recent accumulation, but never mind- the airport is closed due to snow, haha.
It's been few days since Little Red got a workout round these parts. They say snow tonight and tomorrow but I don't think it will be enough to burn a little diesel.

Foy said:
. It's a big 'un alright. Eastern edge due within the hour and headed back to my office shortly to pull the backup tape. Cars and trucks on the street away from trees. That's about we can do.
Take care!

Tornado west of us in Greensboro and north of us in Warren County. Torrential rain and some wind damage around here. That front had a solid line of red on the radar from northwestern Cuba all the way into Ohio as of around 8:00 pm last night. Incredible. We lucked out.

Wow Foy, life back east sounds dangerous, when you retiring and coming west? Different places-different worlds.Yesterday was sitting on my deck drinking a vodka in the sun and thinking about getting my cut-offs on; today it's snowing, and I have on a heavy wool shirt-jacket on and supposed to get into the 20's tonight. Over the next few days it's supposed to warm up and dry out and I'm off somewhere in the high desert .This sure has been a weird year but at least the snow pack is at 80% or so, so we should okay this year.

Smoke

Reckon we all choose our hazards, Smoke. The Devil you know is preferred to the Devil you don't, right? Hurricanes and tornados usually come with some warnings, unlike earthquakes and wildfires. That and the fact that our kids and grandkids and much of our extended family are in this and nearby zip codes mean we're coming out of here boots first. We have learned to keep our heads on a swivel and generally stay aware.
Foy

And the latest reports say NWS weather field observers have determined an F-0 twister touched down for a minute or two about 12 miles E-N of our home on Sunday night. So we had an F-1 well west of us in Greensboro, another around 30 miles northeast of us, and an F-0 due east about 12 miles out.

Believe it was 2011 we had one touch down in Sanford, NC about 40 miles to the southwest. It flattened a Lowes building supply store immediately and stayed on the ground all the way to and through downtown Raleigh, passing about 2 miles east of my office. Two days before the filing deadline. I buzzed over to check on things right after it passed and found about a dozen pieces of debris in the form of personal documents (power bills, credit card statements, etc) from somebody's blown apart residence and a piece of corrugated aluminum roofing about 18" by 6" in my office parking lot. A little too close for comfort!

Foy

12" of fresh heavy white stuff in Central WI. Record breaking 35" of April snowfall in Green Bay, WI with 24" over last week-end. Collapsed roof on hotel. 70's by next week may mean flooding. Wildlife is searching for food. More snow on ground today than all winter. Spring has NOT sprung. Photos show April 2017 vs 2018. IMG_19971 April 2017.JPGIMG_6762 April 2018 Snow.JPGIMG_67881 Tractor April Snow.JPG

We had wet snow all day yesterday, with the warm ground and clearing overnight, temps dropping to 24° - ice rink this morning. Used our micro spikes for our early morning walk.

No snow but still seems unseasonably brisk, camped here on Assateague Island, MD. It's just 46°F at 11:30 EDT.
Rained yesterday, now the cold behind the front.
IMG_20180417_113643.jpg

The (feral) Chincoteague ponies don't seem to mind.
IMG_20180417_114520.jpg

Back
Top Bottom