Spring thing

1/4" of rain here in Camarillo, almost 5" of new snow up at the cabin in San Bernardino Mins., most of it melted now. The clouds moving through here to the north have been stunningly beautiful.

We're getting some SNAP -- crackle -- BOOM now, this evening, in Central Oregon.
A few drops of rain, too.

Not here. I was on the phone to the city last night trying to get them to take care of the dog park. Either water and mow or close it down. It didn't take long for it to dry out once the rains stopped.

It's gettin squirrelly in my yard as winter recedes into the past:
  • Western gray squirrels
  • Golden-Mantled ground squirrels
  • Some specie(s) of chipmunks (I should learn chipmunks)
Also, a cottontail rabbit. ("mountain cottontail", according to ODFW)

The crazy Stellar Jays are back and deer continue to move through coming back up into the mountains. It hit 80 here today. That is hot.

We had a toad strangler of a cloud burst here, that combined with the irrigation above us, almost washed out the driveway. Our fox litter was certainly pushed out of the culvert den. I’m not sure where they relocated.

A few elk are showing in the woodlands below us, along with good numbers of mule and white tail deer. I know there are calves and fawns on the ground, but we haven’t seen them yet.

Thankfully, no hot weather… yet.

92* here in Seaside, Or last weekend. We were camping at McKinley Pass where it was a cool 77*. Violet-Green Swallows are back nesting under the eaves. Lots of beaver activity in the creek behind us.

Growing up in North Carolina, we used "Frog Choker" for the same natural phenomenon.
Both are easier to spell than fenomuhnum. :)

Paul

craig333 said:
Toad strangler? Never heard that term before but I like it :)
I’ve heard it before, and describing the same phenomenon. I don’t remember from whom(s). My Grandfather used to describe those events with the phrase, “Don’t look up, you’ll drown”, or “That’s a gully washer”.

The wild iris (Iris tenax) bloomed today.

52915287736_824ea42fb9_b.jpg

52915513189_e83822697f_b.jpg

Bear scratching at the porch...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.48.01 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.48.01 AM.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 25
Today’s nice morning brought us a white tail doe with her tiny fawn out in the sagebrush, and a few mountain goats at about the 7,000’ level on Maxwell Peak. Nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom