step stool for 4 Wheel Hawk on back of 2003 tundra

4Wheel

Can anyone recommend a step stool, ideally sturdy, plastic, foldable and higher than 17", to enter into the camper.
thanks,Wendyy

The Rubbermaid 2 step works nicely. About $30 at hardware stores. Ace HW seems to be the place that has them here.

Or, get a receiver mounted Brophy 2 step. They're steel, but look like they would do a good job.

+2 on the rubbermaid. We have a Brophy 2 step that took up too much space in our cargo carrier and there was also the weight. It was retired. Jd

We've been using this stool for a couple of years and are really pleased with it. Not plastic but very sturdy and folds flat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013G6IZQ/ref=asc_df_B0013G6IZQ5078531/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0013G6IZQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167118707651&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12664924095934736814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030289&hvtargid=pla-303351010485

I posted an amazon link but I think we found it cheaper somewhere else and I can't remember where.

We also bought the rubber maid two step stool, and it was ok...
However, I really like what we are using now.

See the attached photo, showing an un-altered version of the ladder (we use this in our house), and the altered version, along with the rubbermaid stool for size comparison.

I bought a lightweight two step aluminum/plastic ladder from Home Depot. I think it's called a gorilla ladder. I drilled out the rivets holding on the top tool tray, and removed it.
Then I cut down (slightly) the two top aluminum pieces to clear the camper door when it opens.

I cut the tool tray into three pieces, discarding the center piece, and kept the two end pieces, reinstalling them on the aluminum tubes with pop rivets, to cap it off.

What I like about this is that it is more stable than the rubbermaid stool, and the top step is large - a good landing pad for that first step down out of the camper. The two black plastic caps also act as a half-assed hand hold if you need it.

This ladder is super light, not much heavier than the rubber maid, but seems much sturdier. It stores easily inside our camper when we are traveling. It is also handy to reach the camper latches.

Attachments

• Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 423
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 346
Yep, checkout GLOWSTEPS I'm old but I love the sturdiness of the setup and I don't have any of the handrails or accessories.

I use a little giant three step ladder because my Tundra is a little bit lifted and the entrance is usually three feet above the ground. Not plastic and not lightweight but it is very solid.

Amyinaz said:
We've been using this stool for a couple of years and are really pleased with it. Not plastic but very sturdy and folds flat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013G6IZQ/ref=asc_df_B0013G6IZQ5078531/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0013G6IZQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167118707651&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12664924095934736814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030289&hvtargid=pla-303351010485

I posted an amazon link but I think we found it cheaper somewhere else and I can't remember where.
I have this too and don't like it. It works but a third stair or taller second stair would be useful. It's only 17" tall so not what the op is looking for.

We use the 2 step Cosco metal stool.
I modified it by cutting the "top" crossbar off so it fits under the camper and you don't trip on it.
Also I bungee it to the hitch bar,so it stays put,and make sure to hold on a good, 3 point entry/exit is always safest.
I have an 02 Tundra.
Frank

I went from a single step foldable to a three step step stool to a set of scissor steps that I found on craigslist. The scissor steps are really nice for in camp but I do find myself sometimes just stepping on the hitch ball and climbing in if it's just something real quick.

Wish I'd found the scissor steps in the beginning.

Little Giant step stool all the way. They make a 2 step (too short) and 4 step (too tall) and three step (just right).

We tried the rubbermaid and it was too short and flimsey. The little giants are aluminum, expensive ($115), sturdy and a joy to use. Made me sorry I dealt with the little plastic rubbermaid for 3 trips. It it just too short to step down to it. Every one that sees it asks about it. People take pictures of it. Ha.

It folds flat and goes in the back seat of my truck and is the first things i pull out. Use it constantly at home, too. I removed (drilled out rivets) the support arm, but it folds down so permanently removing is not necessary and leaving it could be handy.

Please check one out.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/safety-step-ladder/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-Ladder-Systems-3-ft-Safety-Aluminum-Step-Ladder-with-Bar-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-10310BA/100430063

Attachments

• 8879e3e0-94a9-46b4-8dac-adac17760e68_1000.jpg
    8879e3e0-94a9-46b4-8dac-adac17760e68_1000.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 111
Chadx said:
Little Giant step stool all the way. They make a 2 step (too short) and 4 step (too tall) and three step (just right).

We tried the rubbermaid and it was too short and flimsey. The little giants are aluminum, expensive ($115), sturdy and a joy to use. Made me sorry I dealt with the little plastic rubbermaid for 3 trips. It it just too short to step down to it. Every one that sees it asks about it. People take pictures of it. Ha.

It folds flat and goes in the back seat of my truck and is the first things i pull out. Use it constantly at home, too. I removed (drilled out rivets) the support arm, but it folds down so permanently removing is not necessary and leaving it could be handy.

Please check one out.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/safety-step-ladder/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-Ladder-Systems-3-ft-Safety-Aluminum-Step-Ladder-with-Bar-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-10310BA/100430063
This looks like the best idea I have seen yet. For those of us with other trucks and camper models, could you measure the height to the top of the third step?

Thanks Gaylon. That does look like a good choice. I see you have some tools mounted to the back of your camper. Have you thought of designing something to attach it to your rear wall steps?

Back
Top Bottom