step stool for 4 Wheel Hawk on back of 2003 tundra

Chadx said:
Little Giant step stool all the way. They make a 2 step (too short) and 4 step (too tall) and three step (just right).
I take it that top part for holding onto when using it like a regular ladder is removable? Or did you just cut it off? Otherwise it would be right in the way of the door. I don't see it in Gaylon's pic so it must have been removed somehow. Just looking for extra details to help me choose between this or scissor steps. Neither are cheap, trying to choose wisely!

Esus said:
I take it that top part for holding onto when using it like a regular ladder is removable? Or did you just cut it off? Otherwise it would be right in the way of the door. I don't see it in Gaylon's pic so it must have been removed somehow. Just looking for extra details to help me choose between this or scissor steps. Neither are cheap, trying to choose wisely!
If you are still fairly agile, this is super portable and handy

full

I had an Eagle camper on a Toyota Tacoma for years. I was very happy with the Rubbermaid stepstool. Then I sold that and bought a new Grandby and put it on a new F-150. I was still happy with the Rubbermaid step stool, but the wife couldn't handle it. Too big a step, and too unstable for her - and she didn't like the small grab bar that came standard with the Grandby.

So first I had an aluminum platform custom built to go over the gap in the back bumper. Here it is from the back:
8 - 1.jpg

I bolted it to the bumper and applied sandpaper strips purchased from Amazon.
6 - 1.jpg

Again, this worked fine for me, but the wife refused to go without a more secure entry. So, I bit the bullet and bought the scissor steps. I went whole hog and paid up for the big sized aluminum three step.

To attach it to the back of the truck I needed to improvise. I added two plywood pieces to the top step, seperated by a gap just big enough to hold the aluminum bar at the end of the steps. I sealed these and painted them black. That makes it very easy to place and remove, and fills in what otherwise would be a gap between the top scissor step and the truck. I bolted this on also. Here it is installed. I later installed some sandpaper strips on the black plywood.
13 - 1.jpg

I then changed out the "small" metal grab bar that came with the camper and replaced it with a large plastic one:
14 - 1.jpg

Cost some money, but now the wife is very happy. And I have gotten to love the scissor steps. They are VERY secure, and the new hand hold isn't too bad either.

The little giant ladder has a fold down top part. I don't hang it on the back, I actually place it on top of action packers that I place on the floor of the camper such that the ladder is wedged between the fridge and the side dinette seat. The ladder the holds the fridge closed firmly.

Vic Harder said:
If you are still fairly agile, this is super portable and handy
I need something with multiple steps with the last step being significantly higher than 17". It's not really an agility thing, I have the wife and a large dog to consider besides myself. In my Colorado, the camper sticks out of the truck bed a touch which renders the step built into the truck bumper effectively useless.

Leaving the tailgate on, but down is actually a really nice option. It provides that additional step and is also a nice place to sit, leave shoes, etc. Only problem is that it will swing up and hit the camper on bumps, etc. I've toyed with securing it somehow, but it's really just easier to remove it. Removing it improves clearance and reduces weight in addition.

I'm either going to go with a 4 step scissor setup or that Little Giant at this point... unless something better pops up!

gaylon said:
The little giant ladder has a fold down top part. I don't hang it on the back, I actually place it on top of action packers that I place on the floor of the camper such that the ladder is wedged between the fridge and the side dinette seat. The ladder the holds the fridge closed firmly.
Perfect. Thanks for the info!

Esus said:
I need something with multiple steps with the last step being significantly higher than 17". It's not really an agility thing, I have the wife and a large dog to consider besides myself. In my Colorado, the camper sticks out of the truck bed a touch which renders the step built into the truck bumper effectively useless.

Leaving the tailgate on, but down is actually a really nice option. It provides that additional step and is also a nice place to sit, leave shoes, etc. Only problem is that it will swing up and hit the camper on bumps, etc. I've toyed with securing it somehow, but it's really just easier to remove it. Removing it improves clearance and reduces weight in addition.

I'm either going to go with a 4 step scissor setup or that Little Giant at this point... unless something better pops up!
Having a large (and old) dog does complicate decisions. Before ordering my camper I purchased a set of folding steps for my 10-year-old yellow lab to get into the Tacoma's back seats. http://www.petloader.com
They are expensive, but are really sturdy and the dog has no problem. I had tried ramps with dogs and they hate them.

The dog steps won't hold up to my weight, however, and so the challenge for me and the new camper will be swapping two different steps back and forth for the dog and the humans.

If the scissor steps work well for dogs too, the extra money would be well worth it for me. Does anyone have experience with dogs and these steps? Do some come with wider steps or with non-slippery surfaces that might make them more dog-friendly than others?

My dogs go up and down the little giant steps without pause. They are both in the 60+# range. One of the reasons I chose this ladder is how sturdy it is. It doesn't flex or rattle under their weight.

I have a set of Brophy 24" wide steps (3-stepper), the surfaces are treated at the factory with an add-on layer reminiscent of a coarse sandpapery kind of finish. So slippery has not been among my experiences with these steps, they're great.
Rico

Chadx said:
Little Giant step stool all the way. They make a 2 step (too short) and 4 step (too tall) and three step (just right).

We tried the rubbermaid and it was too short and flimsey. The little giants are aluminum, expensive ($115), sturdy and a joy to use. Made me sorry I dealt with the little plastic rubbermaid for 3 trips. It it just too short to step down to it. Every one that sees it asks about it. People take pictures of it. Ha.

---------
Please check one out.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/safety-step-ladder/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-Ladder-Systems-3-ft-Safety-Aluminum-Step-Ladder-with-Bar-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-10310BA/100430063
weighs 21.5 pounds, heavy.

RicoV said:
I have a set of Brophy 24" wide steps (3-stepper), the surfaces are treated at the factory with an add-on layer reminiscent of a coarse sandpapery kind of finish. So slippery has not been among my experiences with these steps, they're great.
Rico
Rico, are these the stairs you have? https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Brophy/AS23.html

These are expensive, but look pretty good. Any issues screwing the mount in below the door of your FWC?

Found this oldie: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8886-how-do-you-mount-your-scissor-steps-to-your-fwc/?hl=%20brophy%20%20steps

I have a set of the steel brophy steps that came with my camper. Never used them after the first trip. I prefer that 2x4 on the trailer hitch.

Vic Harder said:
I have a set of the steel brophy steps that came with my camper. Never used them after the first trip. I prefer that 2x4 on the trailer hitch.
We have Brophy steps as well, but for the last year or so, we have just used the trailer hitch/ball. Works just fine. Doesn't hurt my foot even in sandles. Just face the front when getting in and out.

I use a Werner 24" aluminum step ladder for getting into my camper on a Tundra.

pollux said:
I noticed that as well. Almost the same weight as my battery! The brophy steps weigh even more though. 29lbs!

Hi all - I just posted a topic on hitch steps. The steps I have are not inexpensive, but I purchased for the long-term. A nice feature is that the steps fold up and I keep them in the hitch when traveling.

Esus said:
I take it that top part [of the Little Giant] for holding onto when using it like a regular ladder is removable?
As others have mentioned, it folds down to completely get it out of the way. As mentioned in my first post, since I didn't feel it was necessary to keep it on, I drilled the two rivets and permanently removed it.

pollux said:
And worth every pound! (for us). I've not found anything near as stable or secure that is still portable/not attached (like the scissors steps). As mentioned, I removed the unnecessary foldable arm which removes some weight. We carry the Little Giant on the back seat so it's accessible and also moves weight forward compared to permanently mounted scissors steps or anything one keeps behind the rear axle. We travel pretty light so the weight is a non-issue. Less than 20lbs with the top removed and you have to carry something, so minus the weight of some other step stools and you are maybe 15 to 17lbs heavier. We pick and choose where extra pounds are worth it and this is one of them.

I'm only 45 and plenty spry as is my wife, but she didn't like the unstable feeling of the rubbermaid, the shallow steps and, more importantly, the high last step going in or out. The three step Little Giant gets the top step up approximately 4" higher than the step on the bumper plus positions that step further out and it's wider and deeper making it a much easier first step exiting out of the camper. Going in and out is now extremely fast and easy. No pausing and doublechecking where my foot is going and slowly stepping way down as I exit carrying a tub/tote. I swing the door open and just walk right down without pause. After using the two-step rubbermaid stool for the first few trips, then replacing it with the Little Giant, I'd still carry the Little Giant if it was 40 pounds! Ha. Plus, during the week when the ladder is removed from my back seat, it is set up in my shop right next to my fishing boat and makes going in and out of that way faster and easier. Plus the stool is set up and right there handy to grab and use elsewhere in the shop. Surprised how much I use it and how less often I grab my 6foot step ladder.

At the FWC Grand Opening and Open House in Bozeman, MT a couple weeks ago, we got more comments (and pictures take) of the Little Giant ladder than on the camper itself! Ha. Especially when all the other FWC had the little rubbermaid steps stools, receiver hitch ball, or nothing.

To each their own, but I don't look at this stool as a luxury, but as an integral part of our setup for enjoyment, ease of use, and safety. A slip or trip going up or down steps could result in major injury. Maybe low probability but high consequences and would sure wreck a trip. Somewhat more likely is a slip/trip causing one of use to get a minor injury. An unnecessary aggravation. But most likely is it causing us to drop whatever I'm carrying and or just being annoying to have to pause and fish for a narrow, unstable step. I learned long ago to eliminate out of my life, if easily done so, anything that is an ongoing aggravation.

We go in and out of our camper a lot. My take on it is if your step stool is too short (or flimsy or too narrow of steps, etc.) and has ever given you even a seconds pause to make your way in or out or given you even a fleeting hesitancy to enter or exit your camper, it's the wrong stool for you. Replace it and take that pause/hesitancy out of the experience. For me, this solution gives me no more pause than using steps leading to the front door of a house. And no penalties of concern to us (some others might be concerned with the weight or the price), why not?

Esus said:
I noticed that as well. Almost the same weight as my battery! The brophy steps weigh even more though. 29lbs!
Esus, curious if you are you running a lithium battery or just that tiny of battery that it's only 20 lbs? [Edit: Disregard. Found your thread that you are running lithium]. The average 74 amp AGM is 55lbs and we have two so 110lbs. For those running ultralight, the Little Giant steps or receiver hitch steps might not be their cup of tea, but sure worth a look and evaluation to see if it works for each person. For us, 20 pounds either way doesn't really even register as a concern. Might be different for others.

The problem with ladders and stools that you must be on firm level ground and you have to put them somewhere when not in use. Not so with a receiver mount step or steps. I modified a 2 step Brophy to flip up when traveling.

cwd

Attachments

• P1020832.JPG
    P1020832.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 127
  • P1020834.JPG
    P1020834.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 130
Back
Top Bottom