step stool for 4 Wheel Hawk on back of 2003 tundra

cwdtmmrs said:
The problem with ladders and stools that you must be on firm level ground and you have to put them somewhere when not in use. Not so with a receiver mount step or steps. I modified a 2 step Brophy to flip up when traveling.
Great point on the firm ground. We've not used our stool, yet, in soft muddy ground. After rain, the ground tends to stay fairly firm and well drained in the mountains we frequent. For uneven ground, the Little Giant has been pretty good. Had issues with the plastic short stools on uneven ground, but the aluminum stools with wide and deep steps seem to remain pretty user friends even at a slant.

In our case, we also typically pull a trailer so we would have to store a receive step someplace and put in on once we arrive at camp and disconnect the trailer and moving around and storing a receiver step is heavier and more awkward than a folding aluminum step stool.

Your flip-up mod is great! and eliminates the clearance issues with non-modified receiver steps on forest service roads and offroad.

cwdtmmrs said:
The problem with ladders and stools that you must be on firm level ground and you have to put them somewhere when not in use. Not so with a receiver mount step or steps. I modified a 2 step Brophy to flip up when traveling.

cwd
How many pounds it weighs?

@ EnviroProf : Yes, that's my 18-lb 3-stepper, I guess it's a bit more pricey now than the set I got a few years back for $180. Many possible ways to mount them. In my case I had to fab a drop-in using an angle iron strip support to conform to our Grandby's overhang but it works, ahem, 'fab'. I know you could come up with a great way to do it in your particular config. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy/do.
Rico

Chadx said:
Esus, curious if you are you running a lithium battery or just that tiny of battery that it's only 20 lbs? [Edit: Disregard. Found your thread that you are running lithium]. The average 74 amp AGM is 55lbs and we have two so 110lbs. For those running ultralight, the Little Giant steps or receiver hitch steps might not be their cup of tea, but sure worth a look and evaluation to see if it works for each person. For us, 20 pounds either way doesn't really even register as a concern. Might be different for others.
Chadx, as you noticed - running lithium and love it. Between that and flexible panels over rigid we saved a lot of weight. Weight is a big deal to us, but we have to get in and out somehow! Tough call between little giant ladder, scissor stairs, or hitch mount stairs.

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
I saw your steps in a different thread. Killer solution. I just don't have the tools for such a mod. This would be the perfect setup for me though.

Update on little giant dimensions.

Each step is 14" wide by 9" deep.
Step height above the ground: 8.5", 18",26". That puts the top step 4" taller than my bumper step and only an 11" step down from the camper threshold when exiting. With my previous Rubbermaid, it was a 20" step down.

The top step on the two step rubbermaid is the same height as the second step on the three step little giant, so having that third step works well for us.

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
The problem with the receiver mount is that it takes up your receiver mount! I was just thinking about the times I have my swing arm MTB rack on the camper for hauling the bikes.

Valid point. That could be rectified by adding a tandem receiver or a redesign of the steps to allow for an open receiver end. There are times when I have to use a modified receiver cargo carrier to carry a big Yeti cooler. It is dog-legged up so the carrier is the level of the rear door, Kinda like a rear porch and I usually use a folding step ladder then.

cwd

Zirdu said:
I had an Eagle camper on a Toyota Tacoa for years. I was very happy with the Rubbermaid stepstool. Then I sold that and bought a new Grandby and put it on a new F-150. I was still happy with the Rubbermaid step stool, but the wife couldn't handle it. Too big a step, and too unstable for her - and she didn't like the small grab bar that came standard with the Grandby.

So first I had an aluminum platform custom built to go over the gap in the back bumper. Here it is from the back:
attachicon.gif
8 - 1.jpg

I bolted it to the bumper and applied sandpaper strips purchased from Amazon.
attachicon.gif
6 - 1.jpg

Again, this worked fine for me, but the wife refused to go without a more secure entry. So, I bit the bullet and bought the scissor steps. I went whole hog and paid up for the big sized aluminum three step.

To attach it to the back of the truck I needed to improvise. I added two plywood pieces to the top step, seperated by a gap just big enough to hold the aluminum bar at the end of the steps. I sealed these and painted them black. That makes it very easy to place and remove, and fills in what otherwise would be a gap between the top scissor step and the truck. I bolted this on also. Here it is installed. I later installed some sandpaper strips on the black plywood.
attachicon.gif
13 - 1.jpg

I then changed out the "small" metal grab bar that came with the camper and replaced it with a large plastic one:
attachicon.gif
14 - 1.jpg

Cost some money, but now the wife is very happy. And I have gotten to love the scissor steps. They are VERY secure, and the new hand hold isn't too bad either.
Howdy Zirdu,
I wanted to change my handle to something like you have. Where did you get that? Was the bolt spacing the same as the stock FWC handle?
Thanks,
Dave

Chadx said:
Little Giant step stool all the way. They make a 2 step (too short) and 4 step (too tall) and three step (just right).

We tried the rubbermaid and it was too short and flimsey. The little giants are aluminum, expensive ($115), sturdy and a joy to use. Made me sorry I dealt with the little plastic rubbermaid for 3 trips. It it just too short to step down to it. Every one that sees it asks about it. People take pictures of it. Ha.

It folds flat and goes in the back seat of my truck and is the first things i pull out. Use it constantly at home, too. I removed (drilled out rivets) the support arm, but it folds down so permanently removing is not necessary and leaving it could be handy.

Please check one out.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/safety-step-ladder/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-Ladder-Systems-3-ft-Safety-Aluminum-Step-Ladder-with-Bar-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-10310BA/100430063
That is interesting, I was looking for my step ladder to post a link but couldn't find anyplace that still sold it. That 3 Step Little Giant is exactly the same, just with a rubber (or plastic?) step insert instead of aluminum.

At any rate, it works great. I also drilled out the handle and chucked it. The steps are a little heavy and take up some room, but it's the last thing in and first thing out so it's not a big deal.

We actually used our step a lot for my elderly dog with severe arthritis. She recently passed, but we used that step ladder almost daily for years to help her get in and out of the rear of the crew cab trucks, it is very sturdy and stable or she wouldn't have used it. I wish I used it from the time she was a pup, I'm sure jumping in and out of a lifted full size trucks for years didn't help with the arthritis. Hindsight...20/20

Adventure Dave:

No the new handle I installed was quite a bit bigger than the stock handle, so I had to drill new holes. I cut gaskets out of some very hard thin rubber material I had lying around, and also used silicon caulk to attach to the camper. I was a bit worried it might not work, but the new screws did bite and it has held on great. I just put screws back into the old holes with a bit of silicon caulk so I could re-install the old handle some day, if necessary.

Not sure where I got the handle, but I think it is this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-E219-Black-Handle/dp/B009HQ607A/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1501006299&sr=8-25&keywords=rv+handle

Just a shout out on the Little Giant ladder. We got one this week and it's working out great.

We had planned, initially, to use one of the hitch-mounted steps mentioned, but we opted for a swingaway hitch carrier (since we quickly learned that we hated carrying all that stuff inside the camper and had to remove it before we could do anything camp-wise). Ultimately, the weight of the Little Giant is well worth it for us. It's incredibly stable (like walking up three stairs) and we all feel much safer -- particularly when getting *out* of the camper. Thanks to Chadx for the reco.

gaylon said:
My three step little giant is 26.5" at the top step.
attachicon.gif
Image1500389474.615746.jpg
Thanks for posting the pic. How many inch gap is there between the top step and the top of your bumper? I have a custom bumper that's flat all the way across and I'm thinking that the Little Giant would be better than the folding Harbor Freight stool that I use. The single step stool works most of the time but I'd like something that I could anchor to the bumper for a little bit more stability. Thanks!

Zirdu said:
I had an Eagle camper on a Toyota Tacoma for years. I was very happy with the Rubbermaid stepstool. Then I sold that and bought a new Grandby and put it on a new F-150. I was still happy with the Rubbermaid step stool, but the wife couldn't handle it. Too big a step, and too unstable for her - and she didn't like the small grab bar that came standard with the Grandby.

So first I had an aluminum platform custom built to go over the gap in the back bumper. Here it is from the back:
attachicon.gif
8 - 1.jpg

I bolted it to the bumper and applied sandpaper strips purchased from Amazon.
attachicon.gif
6 - 1.jpg

Again, this worked fine for me, but the wife refused to go without a more secure entry. So, I bit the bullet and bought the scissor steps. I went whole hog and paid up for the big sized aluminum three step.

To attach it to the back of the truck I needed to improvise. I added two plywood pieces to the top step, seperated by a gap just big enough to hold the aluminum bar at the end of the steps. I sealed these and painted them black. That makes it very easy to place and remove, and fills in what otherwise would be a gap between the top scissor step and the truck. I bolted this on also. Here it is installed. I later installed some sandpaper strips on the black plywood.
attachicon.gif
13 - 1.jpg

I then changed out the "small" metal grab bar that came with the camper and replaced it with a large plastic one:
attachicon.gif
14 - 1.jpg

Cost some money, but now the wife is very happy. And I have gotten to love the scissor steps. They are VERY secure, and the new hand hold isn't too bad either.
You know what they say,

Happy Wife
Happy Life!

I don't think I've shared our solution, which is a lil Giant style three step ladder.
We've got first gen Tundra AC 2006 / 2008 Hawk.

We find the wide, three ladder step very useful for loading kayaks on the roof, as well as safe set of stairs, even on upslope campsites where the rear of the slightly lifted Tunda/Hawk is quite high.

When I first got the camper, the original owner passed along their wide step aluminum ladder (Little Giant knockoff). The ladder folded nicely against the rear wall where the factory rear steps were in place. After a few evenings of scratching my head, I worked out a system that has lasted five years: The ladder sits on the lower step, where I fabricated a 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar with riveted tee handle that we slip between the rear ladder rung and the inside of the ladder. There's a second red strap that ties off the top of the ladder. My wife can do it, and it has stood up to six years of DV usage. Works for us, but that's our system.

I fabricated a funky step last week out of a piece f diamond plate, a piece of 1x3 aluminum leftover from my awning install and a harbor freight trailer hitch. Not for everyone but it works great. If I slide it all the way in I don't even pin it but I can slide it back 3", pin it and the top step is then 11-1/2 inches deep. 20" wide overall.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 107
I recently purchased a 2 step Little Giant for my rig. I had been using a lightweight HF folding stool but it would tend to tip forwards or backwards on uneven ground plus it was a high step up to the bumper. I've used hitch steps in the past but always managed to bang my shins a few times on each trip. The Little Giant has a wide stance both side to side as well as front to back. It weighs in at 15lbs which adds to the stabilty. The top of my bumper is the 3rd step up and is only about 1- 1 1/2" higher than each step up of the LG - depending on how much the air bags are aired up or the slant of wherever I'm camped. I also like that I could secure the steps to my bumper with hd bungees if it feels really unstable.

Attachments

• lil giant - 1.jpg
    lil giant - 1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 172
Back
Top Bottom