Steps again

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
On my last camper I just used my bumper and/or my action packer as a step and that worked fine. However my new camper has a taller door and not bumper step so I need a better step solution. The kind that attach to the tire won't work as the tire is not directly under the door. My though right now is that I will go with an aluminum scissor step. Any other ideas?

gallery_2_125_322622.jpg

Do you want them to be affixed? When actually at camp I use a 2-step deally like this behind my FWC. If that is too short for the slightly taller flatbed they make three step versions. I just toss it on the floor inside the door when I'm leaving camp.

My intention on my build was to start there but perhaps evolve to making/modify a set of collapsing steps (same type of mechanism of folding) but have the upper rail connect to the flatbed securely so they don't kick out/tip if stepped on wrong.

2-StepStoolPlatinum_l.jpg

Edit, if the legs don't work out because where the tire is (I forget how much they stick out the back, then trimming those off and just hooking the handle on some hooks off your flatbed rail might work). ~$35 starting point to consider. 3 steps $35 at lowes Verse probably over $200 for folding aluminum steps and more useful (if you don't need to trip the leg)

I'm wondering if a simple loop could suffice as a step. Meaning: A loop of 1/2 inch galvanized pipe, attached to two floor flanges bolted and braced to the flatbed itself. This would be located behind the tire. Food for thought....

I would build a folding step just more than the width of the door. Steps pivot on the folding bar and a chain or cable holding the steps on the camper side. If the steps moved to much with the cable you could put a flat folding hinged bar like on a ladder, this would require more steps to set up and take down. I weld solid bar at the top and bottom of the folding bar to keep it from flexing. Also could put a round bar at each step and have them rotate on the round bar. Chain holding the folding bar would act as hand rails. When raised everything would fold flat taking a lot less space than a scissor steps. Find someone with a TIG welder and make it out of aluminum.

See crude drawing.

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 138
And as luck would have it, we have a large airplane salvage yard here in Sacto. Not far from me.

Our Hawk came with a nice solid three step ladder. Jay knows where they can be sourced ;)

In truth I find that entering/exiting the camper is one of the sketchier moves. I'm pretty nimble, but can see how it would be easy to biff pretty hard while carrying something like a beer in one hand. :D After thirty years in construction I'm kind of a safety nut, so prefer to have something that's doesn't require lot's of attention to stay safe.

The cool part of our set up is that the ladder folds flat and I've got it mounted to the fold-out rungs while traveling. Throwing the ladder inside, like the PO did didn't work for us. Too easy to wipe out the dog (who travels in the camper) or damage the cabinets with a loose ladder inside. We use the three step unit all the time when loading kayaks and such.

You have a 'blank spot' next to the door, so you could opt to do a wall mount ladder during travel. Ours takes about 15 secs to undo one strap and pull the aluminum stop I made to lock it down.

This recent shot shows an oblique view. If you're interested I'll post better shots.

Does your flat bed design allow the possibility of adding a custom slide out similar to the XP? Would need to be custom made (i.e. not cheap) for your use but the simplicity is pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_8248.JPG
    IMG_8248.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_8274.JPG
    IMG_8274.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 239
RV bunk ladders could work.

60" Ladder, w/ 1" Hook #7176
t_7176.jpg
Heavy gauge 1" aluminum ladders come fully assembled. Nylon-padded steps give you maximum comfort and padded feet help grip and protect your RV floor. Includes 1" hooks. 1/box.

Details
spacer.gif
SKU:
Price:92-1054
$70.69

The XP version wont work as the space for it needs to be built into the floor of the camper or the flatbed. While the ladder is a decent idea, using a ladder to get out of the camper when you are carrying stuff isn't very convenient. I'll consider the rest of the suggestions here thanks for the input!

Y'know-

I dunno why Jay hasn't suggested this 'solution' yet...

414oW-We9mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I musta skeered him off...

Pure brillance!!! Thank you Mark. I'm going to use it to get into the overhead bed.

A friend has one of these http://www.pickupspe...hitch_steps.htm or something similar on his work truck.

With a tap of his foot he can swing it down, out and to the right to expose the step for easy access to his bed. Gentley pushing it back up, to the left and inward locks it in place again.

It's kind of small, may have to be installled in an original configuration, and wouldn't be easy to find while backing out of your camper while carrying your dinner, but it's another option.

Editted because I'm a litttle dyslexic and often confuse left and right, as well as east and west. Don't trust my directions!

Lots of fantastic(al) ideas in this thread but I went with the scissor steps. The 4 step was the perfect height and mounted easily to the flatbed.

gallery_2_125_38545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom