Stock aluminum or Yakima racks

I just got my Eagle a couple of months ago and I went with the Yakima tracks, mainly because of the flexibility of all the available attachments but also because I have had good results with Yakima products over the years..

I too have Yakima tracks, however, I have never used them. I would be curious what percentage of those installed actually get used?

I had corrosion issues with Yakima products many moons ago..starting with the ends of the tubes, then into the locking mechanism and towers Maybe they have changed things up since then, not sure..I have known a few who, after rusting tubes, went out and bought aluminum tubes to slide through the towers..
The '01 Hawk I recently purchased and refurbished had Yakima tracks on it. The hardware holding them on the roof was severely rusted.. Took them off and built aluminum racks myself.. I live at the beach, so did the camper in its previous life... If you dont live In a salty environment, you should have no probs

I liked building my own as to customize it as I wanted/needed...through bolted, basket on the back, slightly taller towers, thicker material..

TT

I have Yakima tracks and bars. I like the idea that one can adjust the bars to accommodate different boat lengths if necessary. The downside is, Yakima bars are a little on the heavy side, especially when you have three bars like me. Another alternative to Yakima bars would be aluminum bars. I met a FWC owner while camping last year in Idaho. He replaced his steal Yak bars with the same size (length/diameter), but the bars were aluminum. He was carrying a 16' canoe.

I already have Yakima bars and yak mounts on my ARE topper and could easily switch them over. I too looked but never found aluminum bars that'd fit the Yakima towers there like an 1&1/8" in diameter.. It certainly would help with weight concerns, but I still think there is an issue with height and airflow. For me mileage counts . The trip I did last year took 2 months and 1 day, I traveled through 24 states and visited 16 national parks as well as many national forests.

NorCalHawk said:
I have Yakima tracks and bars. I like the idea that one can adjust the bars to accommodate different boat lengths if necessary. The downside is, Yakima bars are a little on the heavy side, especially when you have three bars like me. Another alternative to Yakima bars would be aluminum bars. I met a FWC owner while camping last year in Idaho. He replaced his steal Yak bars with the same size (length/diameter), but the bars were aluminum. He was carrying a 16' canoe.
This. We carry a canoe a lot and other misc stuff like lumber and other long stuff from time to time. I often change the bar spacing to accommodate things. I like that the Yakima racks are tall enough to clear the roof vents and that so many attachments are available. I have considered getting a roof box for carrying bulky light things but haven't yet. I have also considered switching to aluminum bars but so far the Yakima bars are working fine.

It is mentioned that there are corrosion issues with Yakima Racks in a salty/beach environment. That is like saying bears **** in the woods.
I own a beach house. That salty moist air environment will eventually get to any common metal I know about. Some (most?) metals submit very rapidly!

New/advanced/strong/pricey plastics are resistant, but can't be used for everything.... Yet.

There is pure elemental aluminum, and then there are many various al alloys just called "aluminum".
Alloying with other metals give the al the various properties needed to make it function better in its many various demanding applications.
I'm not an expert (metallurgist) by a looong ways, but my exposure to aircraft alloys has given me the impression that these various alloys that are used in aircraft make the al more susceptible to corrosion, so sometimes a pure al layer is plated over the alloy to reduce/inhibit the start of corrosion, or a coating (zinc chromate, etc) or high quality paint, or a combination is used.
Salt, moisture, oxygen, and heat team up over time to reduce (actually oxidize) aluminum metal to a white powder...

I wouldn't bother with posting this, but there are young camper modifiers and home builders here who's project might benefit from exposure to this type of information. Galvanic response of dissimilar metals in contact is another good concept to be well aware of for those projects.

All this, plus more, make "plastic fantastic" and fiberglass, epoxy, ect, appear very attractive, but they have limitations, too, to be aware of.

Ah, I dream of a perfect world......
And, I treasure the huge technological and medical progress made by mankind this past century...
But fear for the loss (rarity) of common sense in modern times.
I digress.....
Sorry.

Edit: there are marine al alloys specifically designed to reduce saltwater corrosion combined with sacrificial anodes to make sea going aluminum constructed vessel.
My very limited exposure has been aircraft applications.

Back
Top Bottom