Storage ideas for FWC

Doff

Advanced Member
We are ordering a new camper at the beginning of the year. We are really excited about it and are starting to plan for it. I have been searching for ideas on how to increase storage or some ideas of storage tricks for the camper. We also want to add some storage to the outside. We wanted to get Aluminess rear bumper with their boxes, but they do not make them for newer model Tundras. Any suggestions for increasing/ improving inside storage? And do you have any suggestions on ways to get secure storage to the outside of the camper?

THANKS!
Dan

Storage ideas.....that's a tough nut to crack owning a Hawk!

Kind of comes down to...are you packing too much stuff? Well, we use a lot of stuff as well.

I had an Aluminess bumper on my '03 Super Duty for carrying extra stuff, including 4 NATO fuel/water cans. Only rarely used the fuel cans to help others. Opted not to go that route on the new truck.

Since we carry a 10' x 10' sand mat, Helinox chairs, cook mostly outside under the awning on a Partner stove, we wanted a way to pack up the "outside" items for easy storage, removal and use. We opted for 4 Frontrunner Wolfpack boxes. One stows under the forward dinette's table, the other 3 simply sit on the camper's floor (we keep a sleeping pad mat from Walmart on the floor all the time). If camping and not needing the boxes, we simply toss them under the rear of the truck or inside the truck cab if security is an issue.

The sleeping bag pad keeps the boxes from sliding around and allows you to walk around inside the camper bare footed when it is very chilly outside.

The Wolfpack boxes have worked well for us for many years.

You could consider a hitch-mounted cargo basket for stowing gear on the exterior. Jonathan Hansen recently reviewed this one on his web site.

Not too many options and advantages/disadvantages just about any route you go when looking to expand storage inside/outside a FWC.

Not a clear solution but what I use. I have my rear seats removed and can use for storage but my big Dog is almost always with me so his space. When wife and I go on "longer" trips we always needed more easily accessed space. It's a PIA to load and unload camper of extra gear at start and end of day's travel. The little Trekmate was our choice. I too want an Aluminus and will probably get one. However, until then this is a great solution. I also used a swing away with cargo rack which was convenient but TERRIBLE departure angle so had to stop as I never knew where I would travel. When camped we do not have to unhook trailer just park it a 90 degrees out of way and still have camper access.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 902
  • trailer90.jpg
    trailer90.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 486
If you want to increase storage inside the camper, take a good look at the counter construction as there is a lot of wasted space. Example; on my 2005 Hawk the forward most cabinet was narrow with a walled of section. Had to work on the water pump, so I removed(tore out) the walled of section and found several cu/ft of usable space, enough space to store 2 rolls of paper towels, 120v 4 cup coffee maker(rarely used), percolator, dish towels, etc. There are others areas you can improve upon also. I built a custom rack for behind the stove/sink area, holds spices, bio soap and lots of nick knacks. Fishing rods have a rack and hang below the cabinet above the couch. Roof rack is a excellent spot for seldom used gear when weight is kept minimal. We have culled lots of gear we thought we would use when we originally equipped the camper, I have since become a believer in "less is more", but we still carry enough to be comfortable, hike, fish, kayak.

More storage = more stuff = weight and space. We of course with a '05 AC Tundra and '16 Hawk have done the same dance; how much is enough stuff?

Took out the rear seats on our Access Cab, put a shelf/rack on roof of cab and have loaded up the spaces behind the turnbuckle access doors. Yes, we bought a 10' aluminum utility trailer to carry our 2 '17 foot sea kayaks and or my dirt ADV motorcycle, but will very rarely use it. We did add, after much thought, a Warn winch on a receiver tray that can be used fore or aft. I dislike carrying 100 lbs on the front but it is easily removed.

Notwithstanding that our Tundra [e-tires], with airbags, rear anti-sway bar, is max'd out on weight; we have come to the point that "more is not necessarily better". After all, just for us, we opted for a Hawk to make our off road rig as versatile as possible to allow us to get to those really remote spots.

Phil

Beach said:
Had to work on the water pump, so I removed(tore out) the walled of section and found several cu/ft of usable space, enough space to store 2 rolls of paper towels, 120v 4 cup coffee maker(rarely used), percolator, dish towels, etc. There are others areas you can improve upon also. I built a custom rack for behind the stove/sink area, holds spices, bio soap and lots of nick knacks. Fishing rods have a rack and hang below the cabinet above the couch.

I agree with BEACH above and I have done the same.
Just a suggeestion if you have access to any. Go see some liveaboard sailboats. You will get great ideas on space utilization. I lived in Miami 17 years and had friends that lived on smaller sailboats and was always amazed at the many hidden well used inches of realestate and the multi-use items they had built.

Also word of advice; I bought my new Granby with the 3 way frig. I have since purchased a Dometic ice chest type and installed it in the same cabinet area. It uses half the space and about 1/3 the power. Had I know beforehand I would have not gotten the 3 way and did that myself.

The people at 4WC are great. I can't say enough good things about Stan, Denny in Jackson, etc etc. You will have a great experience.

I'm in the "how much stuff do you need?" group. My '05 Hawk originally had the rollover couch and had tons of storage underneath. I converted it to side dinette seating and added corner cabinets on the passenger side and still had more than enuff storage space. The drivers side cabinets do waste a lot of space so consider a shell model and build your own cabinets or have them built. My current ATC shell model has cabinets across the front and space under the rear dinette seat where I keep all of my cooking/dining items. I have space to add additional cabinets on the drivers side but prefer to keep the space open. I've been on several trips with my new ATC and so far I haven't had to keep anything on the floor except for the Little Giant step stool that I leave by the back door.
I took out the 2/3 rear seat on my "19 Tundra and built in a lockable storage cabinet where I keep my recovery gear and clothes. If I have any boxes to load they go on top of the cabinet. I keep my camp chairs, portable solar charger, snacks,backpacks, etc on the floor behind the front seats. I do everything I can to keep the floor of the camper clear.
I also have a custom rear bumper with dual swing outs - one side is for my 2nd spare tire and the other side has a box that I used to carry jerry cans and extra water. My new ATC was built with the Rotopax and AT holders so I haven't found any use for the extra box yet.
Pic of my bumper on my prior rig.

Attachments

• bumper - 1.jpg
    bumper - 1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 672
Ronin said:
I'm in the "how much stuff do you need?" group. My '05 Hawk originally had the rollover couch and had tons of storage underneath. I converted it to side dinette seating and added corner cabinets on the passenger side and still had more than enuff storage space. The drivers side cabinets do waste a lot of space so consider a shell model and build your own cabinets or have them built. My current ATC shell model has cabinets across the front and space under the rear dinette seat where I keep all of my cooking/dining items. I have space to add additional cabinets on the drivers side but prefer to keep the space open. I've been on several trips with my new ATC and so far I haven't had to keep anything on the floor except for the Little Giant step stool that I leave by the back door.
I took out the 2/3 rear seat on my "19 Tundra and built in a lockable storage cabinet where I keep my recovery gear and clothes. If I have any boxes to load they go on top of the cabinet. I keep my camp chairs, portable solar charger, snacks,backpacks, etc on the floor behind the front seats. I do everything I can to keep the floor of the camper clear.
I also have a custom rear bumper with dual swing outs - one side is for my 2nd spare tire and the other side has a box that I used to carry jerry cans and extra water. My new ATC was built with the Rotopax and AT holders so I haven't found any use for the extra box yet.
Pic of my bumper on my prior rig.

Who makes your bumper?

Doff said:
Who makes your bumper?
DS Welding&Fabrication Grass Valley, CA. I've known Daniel for 15 years and he does quality work. He's fab'd 2 bumpers for me and a front bumper will be next on my list.

No pix yet, but I am working on a high clearance hitch mounted basket/ step / platform. It won’t have a ton of storage, but it’ll keep the gross stuff outside.

We have a Grandy on a Shortbed Dodge 2500 QC. When we bought our camper we had the dealer install one of these under the overhang:

https://www.equipt1.com/collections/roof-rack-accessories/products/k9-camp-table

I also added a spacer in the bed made of 2 x 3's laying flat so it lifts the camper up 1-1/2 ". This allowed me to add a box under the overhang that is made from 1 x 4 which is really 1 x 3-1/2. In this box I carry a 8 foot extend and climb ladder which allows me to get up to my sea kayak to strap it on. The box could be used for anything you wanted.

The 1-1/2" spacer also lifts the camper so that I can make use of the space along side the camper in the bed. I store long things like kayak padles (broken down) or the struts for my inflatable boat wheels, plus folded up camp rug, extra oil, tranny fluid. It also gives me the clearance to mount my shovel under the overhanging side.

The other place I pick up space is between the truck bed and the front of the camper I use the space on top of the rubber bumpers to store my aluminum sand tracks that are wrapped in some rubber backed carpet from Home Depot. They are hard enough to get out of there and covered up so they are not on display to be stolen, but can be gotten out if needed. I've only had to use them once and that was to help get a 2wd Ford Transit out of the Baja sand.

I also have my gas can mounted on the rear of the camper.

On my previous FWC Ranger II shell, I had a spacer made of 2 x 4's on edge so it lifted the camper up 3-1/2" which gave me space to store my solar panels under the camper as well as some gear.

Hope you can use some of these ideas.

I believe expedition one also builds a storage bumper...and i also recommend looking at boat storage for ideas...

But...just to add...for me, one of the cooler aspects to owning a fwc camper is making it your own. They are easy ro customize to suit your specific needs and interests...i was caught up in the time consuming "planning and design " stage and finally said heck with it, threw out some stuff, built some stuff, bolted on some stuff and what works stays, what doesn't gets tossed and redone...and i am enjoying that part of the process...so have fun

The factory cabinets (by design) do not offer a lot of storage. If you want inside storage you need to buy a shell and build it out the way you want. I did this on my 2013 Hawk.

Large opening storage in cabinet.
P1110938.jpg

Full depth slide out drawers, not sure why FWC does not do this.
cabinet+top+drawers+open.jpg

Small drawers in waisted space.
cabinet+front+drawers+open.jpg

Extra corner cabinets, laid out the way I want.
P1110981.jpg

P1110977.jpg

camper rich said:
We have a Grandy on a Shortbed Dodge 2500 QC. When we bought our camper we had the dealer install one of these under the overhang:

https://www.equipt1.com/collections/roof-rack-accessories/products/k9-camp-table

I also added a spacer in the bed made of 2 x 3's laying flat so it lifts the camper up 1-1/2 ". This allowed me to add a box under the overhang that is made from 1 x 4 which is really 1 x 3-1/2. In this box I carry a 8 foot extend and climb ladder which allows me to get up to my sea kayak to strap it on. The box could be used for anything you wanted.

The 1-1/2" spacer also lifts the camper so that I can make use of the space along side the camper in the bed. I store long things like kayak padles (broken down) or the struts for my inflatable boat wheels, plus folded up camp rug, extra oil, tranny fluid. It also gives me the clearance to mount my shovel under the overhanging side.

The other place I pick up space is between the truck bed and the front of the camper I use the space on top of the rubber bumpers to store my aluminum sand tracks that are wrapped in some rubber backed carpet from Home Depot. They are hard enough to get out of there and covered up so they are not on display to be stolen, but can be gotten out if needed. I've only had to use them once and that was to help get a 2wd Ford Transit out of the Baja sand.

I also have my gas can mounted on the rear of the camper.

On my previous FWC Ranger II shell, I had a spacer made of 2 x 4's on edge so it lifted the camper up 3-1/2" which gave me space to store my solar panels under the camper as well as some gear.

Hope you can use some of these ideas.

Do you have any pictures of your modifications?

Everyone...thanks for all the great tips....I am getting a bunch of great ideas!!!

billharr said:
The factory cabinets (by design) do not offer a lot of storage. If you want inside storage you need to buy a shell and build it out the way you want. I did this on my 2013 Hawk.
Nice job Bill! I have also marveled at the magnitude of wasted space in the Four Wheel drawer and cabinet design in my 2010 Hawk. You have what I am shooting for. Did you build these yourself or contract this out? Do you have drawings?
Thank you,
Dave

A handy storage we use is the folding fabric cubes. These fold down to nothing or have a stiffener that lies in bottom to make the "box".

Good thing about these is they take almost no room after one unloads the food or whatever was stored in them.

They come in assorted sizes.

David Graves

AdventureDave said:
Nice job Bill! I have also marveled at the magnitude of wasted space in the Four Wheel drawer and cabinet design in my 2010 Hawk. You have what I am shooting for. Did you build these yourself or contract this out? Do you have drawings?
Thank you,
Dave
I did all the work except making the drawer boxes. Wanted then square and flat, don't have the skills or equipment. Did not use drawings but did make cardboard mock ups. Changed the big opening because of the mock up. Doors are not even so the large one can fold out of the way and the small one lays on the seat cushion. You can see my build right up by clicking the link in my post above.

Back
Top Bottom