Stuck in Yuma! Need camp site advice.

Ramblinman

Well we have been planning our trip to Baja Since 2012. We stopped to use the rest room in Vidal and my girl friend fell and broke her wrist - our 5 week vacation and bucket list trip is on hold until the swelling goes down and it can be casted.

I have been living vicariously thru you guys for years wandering the West! Thought we should use the opportunity to boondock in the desert near Yuma. We have 6 days to kill.

I would be very happy to listen to any suggestions that might be appropriate for Boondocking in a FWC!

As opposed to meandering aimlessly I thought we should ask if there any decent areas within a couple of hours of Yuma.

Thanks

Last year, on my way home from a trip to Baja, I spent a couple of days camped in Kofa NWR, not too far north of Yuma. I can't remember the name of the exact spot I camped, but it was accessed from the highway on the West side...I think I just picked a road and destination that looked good. If you like Sonoran Desert, it's nice. Ocotillo were in bloom... It was dispersed camping, not in a campground.
When I was there, in late March, the temperatures were already in the 90s -- a little warm for my taste -- so I didn't spend longer, but it should be just right this month.
So, that's one idea.

_DSC0775-2.jpg _DSC0776.jpg

_DSC0785.jpg _DSC0808.jpg

By the way, "KOFA" is an acronym for "King OF Arizona" -- a mine.

I don't know the Yuma area, but if you can travel a bit, Anza Borrego on the west side of the Salton Sea is a great area!

Sorry to hear of the injury! Speedy and complete recovery!

Here's a screenshot of the general area from Ultimate Campground Project app on my ipad (just for a very basic idea of what's there.)

YumaCGMap.png

You might drop by the Yuma BLM office at 7341 E. 30th St. in Yuma for maps, camping rules, and advice (or give them a call at 928.317.3200).

Ramble on!
-OC

Picacho State Park across the river in California is pretty nice. Interesting geology and historic gold mining district. Decent campgrounds with fire rings and ramadas. About 25 miles north of I-8 up a decent graded dirt road.

On the map Old Crow posted, south of the Little Chuckwalla mountains and east of Palo Verde Wilderness is the Houser Geode Beds.

Sorry to hear of your girl friend's injury. X2 on Anza Borrego. Also, you are about three to four hours (175) miles from OrganPipe Cactus National Monument. We were there for the first time about a month ago and were very impressed. Spectacular scenery and the NPS camp ground was excellent. Good luck!

gallery_1728_830_101060.jpg

Ramblinman,
We are not to far from you on the northern end of Kofa. Lot's to do and see between here and there. We are going to head out on the El Camino del Diablo to reach Organ Pipe NP. Give me a call, I'll pm you with my cell.
Cheers

Good to see she's still up for exploring after that incident. One more area I've never explored. Good luck.

Ramblinman said:
....................... We stopped to use the rest room in Vidal and my girl friend fell and broke her wrist - our 5 week vacation and bucket list trip is on hold until the swelling goes down and it can be casted.
Wow, something you wouldn't expect while on vacation. Lucky you two have some leeway with time. Best wishes to your girlfriend for an easy fix and full recovery.

Ramblinman and I live in the same city and we know one another. He was kind enough to show me his FWC prior to purchasing my Hawk. I really envy the fact that you are on such an awesome trip!!!

Live in the moment my friend and appreciate what you have and what is around you. Perhaps there is a reason... much bigger than you and I, that you got delayed. This event will set an entirely different timing, pace and chain of events for your trip. Perhaps this event will lead you to a location or experience that you wouldn't have experienced otherwise. It will force you to slow down a bit and really take the time to absorb what's around you. You will certainly experience more Yuma than you had anticipated ;-). Hopefully the insight you gain on the forum will help guide you.

Wishing you and your GF a safe trip and healthy recovery. We look forward to your trip reports.

Look at the bright side... now you will be able to climb on top of things and say "take my picture" and she'll be the one stuck holding the camera ;-).

Enjoy your trip!!! Have fun!!! Be safe!!!

I look forward to hearing about your experiences when we meet again.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions - We ended up staying in he KOFA and we were hosted/guided by Captm!Very fortunate to have met them - wonderful people who I am now living vicariously thru - and what a great truck and camper combo - lots of thought put in to their outfit! Off to the doc tomorrow - fingers crossed so we can get down to the baja!

Hey - best case! My co pilot and girl friend got a Velcro splint instead of a cast - best of a bad situation. Thanks again every one for your suggestions. By this time tomorrow we should be in San Felipe!

Ramblinman said:
Hey - beat case! My co pilot and girl friend got a Velcro splint instead of a cast - best of a bad situation. Thanks again every one for your suggestions. By this time tomorrow we should be in San Felipe!

Good news! Safe journeys!

Glad to hear your in San Felipe. Molly and I had a great time with the two of you.
Another day or two and the dogs would have been best of friends.
We look forward to hearing all about your trip when we stop by and visit on our way to Alaska.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom