Suggestions for matching camper with my intended use

chopslot

[SIZE=14pt]Hello Everyone,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]I have routinely visited this site over the past couple of years, and have greatly appreciated the passion, experiences shared, and insight of those who post on this fantastic site. I am hopeful to purchase a camper this year after purchasing my truck (silverado 2500,10' bed) this past year. I am fortunate to live in Utah where I'm close to so much. I anticipate using the truck/camper for the following scenarios...(1) I backpack a lot in Escalante and would be driving down Hole In the Rock or the Burr Trail to trailheads or vistas. These roads can be pretty rough…washboard, and washed out. (2) I have a drift boat and would like to check out/fish all the great rivers in the surrounding regions….ID, MT, Wy, Ut. (3) Road Trips out to the coast, or in the surrounding states NV, ID MT, BC, Wy, CO, NM. As you can see I will be spending much of my time on paved roads, but will at times (25%) be off road….nothing too radical, just some tough road/sand sections. Based on the following intended use would you even consider an Alaskan? Does going off road prevent me from going with a cab over? Or would you recommend going with something lighter and more designed for off road use i.e. 4WC or ATC….Grandby type designs? I recognize there is no perfect set up, and that everything comes with advantages and disadvantages. I’m just looking for the best combination, given my intended use. If I have posted this in the wrong section, my apologies. Thanks in advance for your suggestions![/SIZE]

I'm very happy with my ATC Bobcat. They were willing to do custom work, are very responsive, and it's built to survive more than I can throw at it. When you give them a call, you're talking to an owner of the company.

I like Alaskan (a lot) as well, but for South Utah, an ATC be my choice.

Happy with my Grandby. I do a lot of driving on the tarmac to get where I want to be, really hard to avoid that. Part of the decision will be based on what kind of truck it is going to go on. I've had my camper in the Escalante out towards Egypt, on the Burr trail and many other places and wouldn't hesitate to take it there again, So far there has been no place that I wanted to put my truck where I felt s though having the camper on kept me from getting there.

Chopslot, is the 10' bed correct???? Put the camper on that fits the truck and a cab over for sure. The interior is strictly up to you and your needs.

cwd

Thanks for your responses. sorry, I meant 8' bed. Some more info...I'm leaning in the direciton of the Grandby for the reasons you mention Cayuse...Egypt/Middle Moody/40 Mile are about as challenging a trailhead I will be going in to. In terms of the Alaskan due to their weight, are they more a paved road kind of unit?

An Alaskan Camper can do a lot more than folks believe. We visited the factory twice when we were making decisions about which large camper to buy. I am very impressed with their campers and with the folks that build them. We have the luxury of having two truck campers, a small one (ATC Bobcat on a Ford Ranger) for my photography expeditions, and a large hardside on a F350 for the two of us. Ultimately, we chose a Northern Lite for the additional room, but it was really close. We almost went for the Alaskan. The fact that we have two large bird dogs played heavily into the decision making as well.

Below is a photo of the Alaskan Camper that belongs to another photographer. I stumbled onto his camp in Central Oregon, and struck up a conversation about his rig. At the time, it had been his home for 14 years. John has taken the Alaskan into places that I would never go, and he has caught it on rocks/trees and who knows what. When he breaks it, he either fixes it himself, or takes it to the factory for Bryan Wheat to repair. These are capable rigs. At the time, we had a FWC Grandby, which we sold when we bought the Northern Lite. The Grandby did not meet our needs. There is nothing wrong with them, it just wasn't the right camper for us.

------------------------------------------ From another thread ---------------------------

Take a look at the Alaskan Campers. Recently, I've seen several of them on flatbeds, and they make a nice unit. We recently visited the factory, and had I the opportunity to do it over, I think an Alaskan would be my first choice for the type of camping/exploring we do.

This is John Armitage's camper. He has lived in it for 14 years, and taken it into some pretty rough country as the exterior shows. Still, it is sound and reliable. The aluminum flatbed is from Highway Products, and provides lots of storage.

20226163789_ac0b17f4e4_b.jpg

Wowza! Thanks for taking the time to respond and include the photo....I take it the concern of a cabover holding up structurally on rougher dirt roads may not be a big issue.

Hey Sagebrush, what was it about your needs and the Grandby that didnt alighn?

Two German Wirehair pointers, a roll over couch, a Porta Potti (The Bride wanted a bathroom), a transverse (east - west) bed, no place to work with a second person in the camper, and a bunch of fly rods and camera gear taking up space are some of the major reasons that the Grandby wasn't a good fit for us. Many people do make it work, but it was just not in the cards for us.

For solo photo and fishing trips I like the simplicity of popup. Hence, the ATC Bobcat for my old Ranger. If you decide to go with a popup, it would be worth your time to look at ATC. I must say that if Alaskan made a camper that fit a Ford Ranger, I would have considered it.

We have an ATC Ocelot and it is the right rig for us on an 05 Tundra. It is lightweight, great on rough 4WD roads, and slim profile for moving along brushy roads. That being said, as we get closer to retirement and more "full time" living in some type of camper set up, we are seriously looking at either a large hard side on a full size truck or Alaskan on similar. Just having the extra room as Sagebrush mentioned without having to pull a utility trailer is appealing (we are also thinking about simply having a utility trailer to haul extra gear on long trips with our current set-up). More room is great, but the wallowing around in driving in friends large rigs has always made me glad for the lightweight, good handling or our current set-up. Who knows, we might afford both like Sage in the end!

I do a lot of mild off-roading and on a few ill advised occasions some white knuckle off roading with my Hawk and haven't had any issues with anything breaking or coming apart. I really appreciate the low center of gravity driving on steep winding roads - I never feel top heavy. There were times I snagged some branches on the corner of my Hawk on narrow trails and it always reminded me how worse it could have been if my camper was any higher. Also, there are times when I need to do some tight turn arounds and backing into tree's can be an problem with a higher profile. A few months ago before I found my newer Hawk I was going to buy an ATC Ocelot or Panther. I have worked with ATC and FWC while living in the Sacramento area and ATC by far gives superior service and are flexible on their builds. Marty at ATC is willing to practically build you a custom camper at a much lower price point. I also like that you have the option of 3 different widths. ATC has worked on my Hawk and know the camper as well as, if not better than the folks at FWC, especially the newer service people there. Good luck with your search!!

I will keep you posted as I mull things over (and over, and over....) Sincere, thanks everyone for taking the time to weigh in. I'm really looking forward to the opportunities this will provide. I love being out on the road, seeing new places, finding new hotsprings, meeting people along the way and hearing them talk about the places they found along the way.

The first order of business is to read your VIN tag on the door and see what the GVWR is. Then get the truck weighed with you and both(?) tanks filled with gasoline. NOW....you know how much camper you can buy and not be sweating bullets some the line. Of course you can get the DRY/EMPTY weight of whatever camper you choose and then add at least 750 lbs of "cargo" weight for your passenger and all the stuff you want to haul.

You didn't mention if you have 4x4 in your truck and while it is a gas-sucking, weight reducing, maintenance item you won't need 98% of the time....when you are off-road or are looking at some snow you will be glad to have it.

Next put together a needs list....
One or two persons?
Cooking in or outside all the time?
Need a porta-potti in there?
Need a greywater tank?
How much freshwater do you need?
Propane or just 12 volt or 120 volt reefer?
Need a roof rack for the boat or do you tow it? Too much weight makes putting the top UP a PITA. Consider the height with a boat on the roof rack as a limiter to how far out in the forest you can go.

Nobody out there ever complained of having "too much truck" (meaning a 3/4 ton or 1 ton vs. a 1/2 ton) but how much weight you put on it can be the deal killer and an overloaded truck that isn't 4x4 can lead to getting stuck in some interesting places.

As they say...do your homework....you have the truck, now be sure you don't have "too much camper" for it!

Good Luck...you are close to so many wonderful places to get out and into...

If you're still tuning in, allow me to share.

I own a Grandby and grew up around an Alaskan, my grandfathers 8' cabover to be exact. They are both good campers, very long lived in the industry, and either will certainly cover your intended missions. You have received a lot of advice thus far. In addition I'd consider the season of use. If you plan a bit of regular winter use, IMO take a second look at an Alaskan. The hard top in my experience makes for easier heating and heat retention. The bottoms of the Alaskans, at least the old ones, and FWC are about the same.

Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom