Sun/moon roof can it be done or is it just asking for trouble

Tentbug

Not sure which to call it sun or moon roof, I do not want it to open.
We use to just sleep under the stars we are now unable to do that and I miss watching the stars. Is this something that can be done with a 1992 Alaskan cab over

The double edged sword of camper ownership. I still sleep in the dirt from time to time when the weather/sky warrants it.

The cabover roof is framed with 2x2s. You would have to cut through at least two where the vent/fan is.(assumming you want something bigger than 14" sqr)
This will really weaken the roof,

you open the hole...the water comes in

if you build it like a glass bottom boat you might get away with it.....3M 4200 sealant...not 5200....you want to be able to make repairs...if necessary

Ripper....Bryan and company have gone to 2x2 Aluminum square tubing for the extension supporting the cabover deck....it may work in this case too....full length,,,major rework

Rusty, the aluminum supports the sleeping platform? What does this have to do with a bigger opening in the roof?

I'd noticed that the angle brace was missing on the newer cabovers, so I ask Bryan what was different about the structure.

The newer cab over's have the sleeping platform supported by an aluminum square tube which extends into the

upper section. The tubing is buried in the framing. Alaskan's first venture into Aluminum framing?

If aluminum square tubing was used in the framing of the skylights, larger openings could be made.Different

methods of attachment would have to be used but there's no reason larger openings couldn't be made using

the material. The limiting factor would be the material used for the skylight itself. Its flexing and performance in

wind....as in highway speeds.Its an interesting concept I'd never considered but there's no reason it couldn't be

accomplished using appropriate materials.

Tentbug brings up an interesting deviation from an all but normal Alaskan conversation...thanks for that.

In Hallmarks you can opt for a marine hatch over the bed area. I think they call it an escape hatch. It might be the right size for you.

that'll do.... :D

Attachments

• eagle globe and anchor.png
    eagle globe and anchor.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom