Superspring/ Helper spring owners ?s

verynice

Well I've had it with the airbags and am looking at helper springs and am hoping to get some input from owners. My wife just got her way, and a bathroom, as I've just bought a Lance 825 to replace my Northstar TC800 (for sale if you know anyone :) ). Anyways, after removing the A/C and jacks I'm at about #2500 fully loaded on a ram 2500 and am trying to decide on what rating helper springs to get-#2500, #3500, #4000, & #5000. It will be going offroad (no jeep trails) and lots of windy and winding roads. Any recommendations??? Thanks in advance-

Forget the helper springs. Take the truck to a spring place and let them add a couple of proper leaves to the spring packs. The packs will likely ride better and function the way you want them to. Just adding leaves to your existing packs isn't that expensive.

I'm going through the same thing. Wanted something better than the airbags. Just had Deaver Spring make me up a pair of rear leaf springs. These are basically stock spring packs with 2 additional leaves. I wasn't looking for lift just added weight capacity.

I haven't installed them yet. I have to get another project out of the garage 1st!

Yeah, you're probably right. My Alaskan factory truck rode unbelievably well with the proper rear springs. On the other hand, I wanna take the camper off for months at a time and probably wouldn't be happy with that ride...

I had super springs on my 1st gen Tundra with a Hawk. While they worked ok, if I ever had to do it again, I would go with new custom spring packs.

I just wish there was a clear choice for part time campers. I have custom internal bypass shocks that have to be "setup" to match springs and weight to work right and there's no way to have bolth. I know that there are adjustable shocks and "helper" springs that I was thinking might be the best compromise :(

verynice said:
Well I've had it with the airbags and am looking at helper springs and am hoping to get some input from owners. My wife just got her way, and a bathroom, as I've just bought a Lance 825 to replace my Northstar TC800 (for sale if you know anyone :) ). Anyways, after removing the A/C and jacks I'm at about #2500 fully loaded on a ram 2500 and am trying to decide on what rating helper springs to get-#2500, #3500, #4000, & #5000. It will be going offroad (no jeep trails) and lots of windy and winding roads. Any recommendations??? Thanks in advance-
Just curious, why have you had it with the airbags? I ask, because I just recently installed a set on my truck and love the ride quality. I realize your camper is heavier than my Hawk, but the bags should still keep you level while putting les stress on the truck's factory suspension. With some adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks, you could have a comfortable truck when you remove the camper.

Their not terribly bad as I got the oversized hellwig bigwig bags that take less air and ride a little better. It's just that no matter what I do, every month or so they lose a few pounds of air. Even tested them underwater in a bucket with no success. I'm pretty anal about things working perfectly... :(

I added Roadmaster Active Suspension on my Ford Ranger, which with my FWC Eagle shell was just at the truck's GVWR, they sort of returned my truck to its normal height in the rear. They took care of the road handling, such as sway and lean etc. I was happy with them on pavement, the truck cornered like it was empty.
Then as I added things to the shell's interior, which translated as weight, the rear height dropped. I use the truck/eagle combination for both on road and off road trips. Also, the Eagle never comes off the truck, so I wasn't worried about a hard ride with an empty truck.

So I was disappointed that the Roadmasters didn't keep my height and I lost ground clearance. I heard about a company in Grand Junction, CO by the name of Alcan Spring Company, when I was at Overland Expo West in 2017. The only thing Alcan does is manufacture springs and u-bolts.

Here is an except from their website:

Maybe the title of this page should be "Product" without the "s". After all, we really only make one product: custom leaf springs.
However, in Alcan Spring's 26-year history, we've custom-made that one product in just about every possible variation for every vehicle you could imagine. From go-carts to 10-ton dump trucks; from the family car to drag cars; from stock-replacement pickup truck springs to the most exotic rock-crawlers and desert racers.
Bottom line: No mater what your leaf-spring needs, Alcan Spring has the experience and skill to deliver exactly what you want.

http://www.alcanspring.com

After checking out the website I called them on the phone, they were extremely helpful. I told them I wanted a 1000 lbs more carrying capacity and the original height. They would have added height if I wanted it, but my wife has enough trouble getting in and out of the camper at the original height so I opted to not add any height. I gave them a credit card to start the order. I had the option of having them shipped to me or picking them up in person, I opted to pick them up and have them installed at a local shop in Grand Junction recommended by Alcan. 6 weeks later they contacted me and I made arrangements to pick them up and coordinated an appointment with the shop. It cost me about $800 for the custom springs, new u-bolts and the install.

Best money spent, wish I never bought the Roadmaster Active Suspension. They are now hanging in my shed.
We just got back from Big Bend Ranch State Park and drove some very rough 4WD roads. The truck was awesome. We met some Jeep Rubicons and Toyota FJ Cruisers on the roads, they were impressed we had made the 10 miles to Chorro Vista.

I can't speak to how the setup would work if I had an empty truck.

On a previous truck also went with custom leaf packs front and back through National Springs in southern California. I weighed the truck empty and loaded and they did the calculations.

One thing to mention is that they made them with many thinner leaves opposed to less thick stock leafs that made a incredible smooth ride and without the load the ride was good. At the leaves tips had sliders and between the leaves I coated with anti-seize.

You could get the leaf pack close and add airbags to take it the rest of the way so when the camper is off lower the air pressure in the bags for a more pleasurably ride empty.

Back
Top Bottom