SurePower 1314/1315 vs. "battery switch"

The whole starting deal is part of why I have the VSR/ACR. Can leave the aux bank isolated at the battery switch, but still have the alternator charge it while running. If you go with the "dual sense" version of these units then any solar input will close the circuit and top off the starting battery. This last feature isn't so important while camping, but is a real bonus when the vehicle sits for long periods between uses because then the solar can keep the stating battery(ies) topped off against the little draws (computer memory, clock, etc.) that all late models have.

which of the many models offered did you select?

yes allowing solar to top off the truck is a very good thing.

After my last post I got thinking about the solar aspect and had been intending to get back to this today. I think that I may have jumped the gun a little. Would be worth investigating that a solar panel can indeed 'open' the ACR/VSR of choice. The raw voltage is there, but the current may be low enough to make it not worth pursuing as I don't recall what the ACR/VSR's consumption is.

I chose the BEP Marine Voltage Sensitive Relay based on John "whatcharterboat"'s (expo) recommendation. They use the BEP products with great success at his work: http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au

Mine is a single sensing version as at the time of purchase I had no intention of adding solar. Unfortunately field experience with it is waiting on completion of the whole vehicle project.

Of my project? Just a complete cooling system (coolant, engine oil, trans, & PS), a SS exhaust system, fuel system (EFI conversion), EFI loom, re-gearing to 4.11's & adding dual ARB's, and moving the rear differential from being a pass side offset diff to a centered diff, + incidental little projects (throttle cable, transfer case shifter, battery relocation, etc.).

I had originally purchased the BEP VSR to go on my '91 Suburban, but I'm down-sizing rigs and selling off the Sub so it has not yet been installed. The Sub was set up with dual batteries and a marine switch. I found that opening the hood to move the switch as needed was a pain and went searching for a charging option that would allow the switch to stay in one setting for 90%+ of my use.

Back
Top Bottom