Suspension on F150

spencervan

I have a 2013 Ford F 150 V6 Eco boost and I just ordered a hawk shell. VERY excited!! I am looking for some input on what type of suspension upgrades I am going to be needing. The dealer said I should get a leaf kit. I have also been told to get air bags. What are the pros and cons of each? Also, should I consider a lift and or bigger tires on my truck? Any other advice for a new FWC owner is much appreciated!!!
-Spencer

Spencer welcome!
Make sure you have E rated tires.
I don't know much about adding airbags and leafs but I think Torklift stable loads might be an option. I have read some good stuff about them but I will defer to those who actually have a camper. I'm still looking :)
Congrats on your new rig :)

Welcome Spencer!
Your suspension needs will vary based on the type of driving you do. I have Firestone airbags on a GMC 1/2 ton and I'm quite happy with them, but I don't do much if any off-road. They are more useful for levelling the load and bringing back the proper stance to the vehicle. They do take load off the suspension, but truly more suspension would be needed for true off-road use in which case I would suggest a leaf spring upgrade.
That being said, if I take the camper off the truck, I still have the smooth ride of the stock suspension. If you go with a leaf spring upgrade you might find an unloaded truck to be overly sprung.
You could always start with the airbags and add leaf springs later if needed.

Being you will have a shell, you may find the stock suspension to be fine. Measure your ride height unloaded and your headlight positioning before you load up your Hawk and then note it again loaded.

I have added leaf springs on trucks, which work fine until you use the truck without the camper and the bed raises and makes it harder to load stuff. Went with airbags this last time (on and 05 Tundra) and have been happy with them. We do some four wheeling, but at low speed and don't push too hard. And having the airbags makes it easier to level the camper in those spots that just don't lend themselves to level camping, but the view is worth it!

Bill D said:
Welcome Spencer!
Your suspension needs will vary based on the type of driving you do. I have Firestone airbags on a GMC 1/2 ton and I'm quite happy with them, but I don't do much if any off-road. They are more useful for levelling the load and bringing back the proper stance to the vehicle. They do take load off the suspension, but truly more suspension would be needed for true off-road use in which case I would suggest a leaf spring upgrade.
That being said, if I take the camper off the truck, I still have the smooth ride of the stock suspension. If you go with a leaf spring upgrade you might find an unloaded truck to be overly sprung.
You could always start with the airbags and add leaf springs later if needed.

Being you will have a shell, you may find the stock suspension to be fine. Measure your ride height unloaded and your headlight positioning before you load up your Hawk and then note it again loaded.
Bill D said it perfectly

I have the same setup and have E rated tires, stock size and Ride-right Firestone airbags.
Works great and is all you need imo

Welcome to the forum. I think if you do a search you will find quite a few articles on this subject. I have airbags and E rated tires and that combo works very well for me. (Eagle on a mid-size Nissan truck). Chris

I have the same truck, 2013 Ecoboost F150. Lots of power, you will not be starving for moving torque or hp. I don't have the Hawk on full time, so I opted for Firestone Airbags. E rated tires is a must. Have fun!

Another F150 here, I will be installing Firestone ride rites with the Daystar cradles, then just take it easy(er) off road. What concerned me was is the limited travel with air bags, just seems like so little. Bilstein 5100's and E rated tires. Deaver springs if it doesn't feel right. I guess some things will come down to trial error for me. I will be loaded wet near max payload, counting the days until delivery of the camper.

Back
Top Bottom