Suspension Upgrades?

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member
Our truck is a 2005 Tundra Axcess 4WD;
Most of our camping will be done in Baja and we will not be doing any hardcore off roading but we will definitely be doing a lot of travel on REALLY BAD roads.
Figure 700+lbs for the camper, then you've got the portabote & outboard or kayaks, Ice, water, food, clothes, tackle,.......
What kind of suspension upgrades are reccomended?
I'd like to maintain the street friendly handling but still be able to confidently handle the rough back roads.

2005 tundra

I would not make any upgrades to that particular truck. I just went through your build list on your camper and I think you are going to be surprised at how well your truck is going to handle this unit. I also looked your truck specks up and noticed that you have a pay load of over 1400 pounds unless it is a TRD then it should be a little more. Pay load is in the bed weight. I think that Ben's advice would best fit your truck. Have the camper installed then add all your gear and go for a drive. Chances are that you won't add much if any to your suspension. Even upgrading the shocks might be more than enough. Also I think you may want to ask on the FWC forum if any one has a hawk shell on a truck like yours. This is as close a match as I can think of.

Marty

I have a 2004 Tundra Double Cab that I am hauling a Hawk on. I was getting quite a bit of sag in the rear and put on RoadMaster helper springs. Was no longer shinning squirells after adding springs. Super Springs and air lift bags are also used alot.

But as Marty said, check how well the truck handles after adding your camper and stuff. Be sure to check ride height before and after. You may want to also check weight of front and rear axles at a truck stop. While truck is rated for a certain weight, you may end up with more on the rear and front not taking as much weight.

Most important is to check weights, ride heights before putting camper on! Other wise you won't know what you have when you do.

Dave

I would not make any upgrades to that particular truck. I just went through your build list on your camper and I think you are going to be surprised at how well your truck is going to handle this unit. I also looked your truck specks up and noticed that you have a pay load of over 1400 pounds unless it is a TRD then it should be a little more. Pay load is in the bed weight. I think that Ben's advice would best fit your truck. Have the camper installed then add all your gear and go for a drive. Chances are that you won't add much if any to your suspension. Even upgrading the shocks might be more than enough. Also I think you may want to ask on the FWC forum if any one has a hawk shell on a truck like yours. This is as close a match as I can think of.

Marty

I don't mean to be picky and maybe this is what Marty meant, but payload is the weight of everything you put in a truck, including occupants and fuel- not just what can go in the bed. Here is the definition from Ford's website and I'm sure it is a standard definition:

The weight of the actual cargo and occupant(s) carried by a vehicle. Payload capacities are computed by subtracting the curb weight of the vehicle from its specified Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The addition of any optional equipment or passengers adds to the vehicle weight and subtracts from the allowable payload.

I have a FWC Ranger on my 2000 Tundra which really lowered the back end. I had the ride-rite air bags installed because I didn't want my ride affected when I have the camper off the truck. With the camper on, the truck would bottom out very easily.

Here is a picture before adding the air bags.

Good luck and enjoy your new camper!!!

Attachments

• P1010003_sm.jpg
    P1010003_sm.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 679
suspension

I would try the camper on the truck first. The last post has a long bed camper on a short bed truck and I would expect the drop on that type of load.

With your camper you should be fine. If you feel you need something after the camper is on, I would go with something that is adjustable so that when you take the camper off, the truck doesn't beat you to death without the load on it.

The one post is also correct that your payload does include persons in the truck and fuel. Most ratings on the trucks are very conservative also. So far the Tundra's that we have put campers on have had no problem with the load.

If you have any questions though or would like an more detailed answer on this, feel free to give me a call. Even though I am out of town, I am still taking the calls for the business. 800-446-1003

We have a Hawk on a 2000 access cab Tundra. The only addition we made were some overload springs, basically a C-clamp that wraps around the springs. We keep the camper stocked with supplies and the legs mounted on it for those impulse get-aways. Still I can use the truck as a daily commuter. Air bags may be nice, but if you blow a bag somewhere between Puertocitos and San Luis Gonzagas, that will be a lot harder to get repaired.

Roadmasters

I have a 2002 Tundra with a Panther shell unit. You can see it on Ben's website.https://www.allterraincampers.com/Clark_Beattie_Page.html I was having problems with bottoming out, etc. until I put Roadmasters on. They have worked great for over a year. No more bottoming out and they help substantially with lateral stability.

I heard about them from a mechanic friend of mine who has used them forever on his trucks and tow vehicles. I was particularly impressed with how easy they are to "dial" in depending on the load of the vehicle.

Take Care, Clark

Per Roadmaster Active Suspension system ...The Roadmaster Active Suspension system is designed to improve the ride, stability, and handling characteristics of any vehicle as well as increasing the load carrying and towing ability when needed to prevent bottoming out.

I find this very misleading... "... as well as increasing the load carrying and towing ability when needed to prevent bottoming out.".

It appears they are saying they increase the "payload", which is not true.

Thanks to Ben and Brett for the correct "payload" definition.

Mike

We ended going with a 3 leaf upgrade from Deaver; The truck rides just like it did before the camper (other then the wind noise) with slightly more clearance and increased capacity.
Highly recommended.:)

Thanks Flinchlock and a question about maps

I'm sure that what Ben said about loadcarrying etc. is correct and you should talk to Roadmaster about their claims. However....

I have had these on my truck for over a year.. closer to two and been on numberous trips (offroad and on) while keeping the camper on the truck about half the time while in town and I have found them to be a good alternative to bags and additional leafs. I've owned two of the old FJ40's a Blazer, a GMC Camper Special 3/4 ton and a Ford F100 and have dealt with the other options before

I had them installed...went on a trip and brought my truck back for readjustment...they are adjustable with a wrench...and they have been perfect since then.

If you get them, either come back with your camper on the truck for adjustment or have your camper on the truck when they are installed.

By the way..... I have an idea/wish....In this era of GIS and digital maps I would like us (All Terrain and Four Wheel owners) to put together a map of our favorite off-road camping trails. I work in the field of Parks and Recreation and we do this for all of our parks.

What do people think, has it already been done and where should I post this question?

Thanks, Clark

Just for the record, I was only questioning the wording, not if the product was actually good or not.

It does appear from other people’s experience, they are indeed a good product.

Sorry for the confusion,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom