Switching Rear Facing Flood Lights in Truck Cab

Switching the ground is actually a pretty good way to wire some relays. Computers and PLC's commonly do this (your engine's fuel injector solenoids are switched this way) because the voltage drop has already happened in the load and the computer or PLC won't be switching the full power of the circuit (P=V*I).
If you are only interested in a switch in the cab to turn them on and off this would be a good option. As a bonus the failure mode (a short) just turns on the lights rather than blowing a fuse.

The problem with trying to do this when using the reverse lights to be one switching mode is that you don't have access to the ground side of that light circuit, only the hot side.

The general down-side, in my opinion, to switching this way is that it is uncommon, which can confuse any future trouble shooters. I don't see this to be too big on an issue, but it does have the potential to be one if the person working on the circuit isn't familiar with the method.

The relay is wired up a little different. I agree if a person ie not used To seing the wiring configuration could be confusing. I am down in Chile heading home so I do not have one in front of me To show wiring. I do this for all long runs To a relay. I keep the relay close To the Light or whatever.

I also using the remote switch controller for backup lights for the Casita trailer with good results .

Patrick down wandering in Chile, Argentina.

I'm not very educated on what the functions are of different things like relays and solenoids. Anyone know of a website that breaks it all down?

"How things work"?

Relays and solenoids can be the same thing. Both use a low current (power) circuit to energize an electromagnet. Which pulls an "armature" against a spring. What that armature moves is partly the distinction between a relay and a solenoid. Relays only switch higher current circuits (typically 30 amps or less), but some solenoids control really high power circuits (several hundred amps, your starter motor for instance) while others move a valve that controls fluid or gas flow.

Back
Top Bottom