Tail gate

RKL

I am picking up my new 2016 raven next week in AZ. I am all pumped up.

I have a question about tail gates. I will take mine off because the dealer asked me to. However, I was wondering does anyone leave their tail gate on for your trips. I have 2011 gmc crew cab and I have an extension for my spare tire removal rod. Other than a rear end fender bender is there a reason one could not leave their tail gate on. I have to use my truck for work so I will be taking my camper off when not in use.

If you can close the tailgate properly, there shouldn't be a reason that would prevent you from leaving it on. I don't think I would want to drive around with the tailgate in the open position, too much of a chance of damage if you back into something or someone running into you. jd

That is true, I never though about backing into something. I do not think it will close while the camper is on. So I guess it is best to just take it off every time.

thanks

I leave it off because I don't want there to be a way for someone to lock me inside my camper. Yes, there's an emergency exit in the side window (which I've never used but should probably practice with), but it makes me feel better to know I'll always be able to jump out the back if something bad happens around the campsite at night.

Why remove the tailgate?

#1 A lot of extra weight to carry at the very back of the load in the truck bed

#2 Very difficult, awkward, to enter and exit camper by stepping on or over the tailgate

#3 R&R of a tailgate takes 3 minutes at the most

Just my take...Phil :D

Yes I see your point, I am glad I asked people who know. The tail gate is coming off.

thanks

I'm a tailgater. I like having mine on. Since it is the only way I've ever used my FWC I don't know about the easier entry method. When in camp a doormat goes on the tailgate and I can have my water container, shoes, etc on the tailgate. I've thought about someone closing it while camped and fortunately haven't run into that.

I've used it both ways. It its nice having a "deck" and a solid food prep area. For an overnightter or a weekend it is a hassle to take it off and put it on without help.
However, climbing up then ducking reminded me how often you enter and exit the camper when camping, you do it constantly while camping and you usually have your hands full. If you're getting an FWC you are paying a hefty premium to be comfortable on your truck so set it up to make it as pleasant as possible.

my tailgate wont close, gmc crewcab as well. and I only drive 3 miles to work, and i camp at least once a month year round. so my camper is on full time. so I sold my tailgate LOL. im even tempted to sell my camper jacks since the local fwc dealer will do the swap when I buy my new truck.

tree said:
my tailgate wont close, gmc crewcab as well. and I only drive 3 miles to work, and i camp at least once a month year round. so my camper is on full time. so I sold my tailgate LOL. im even tempted to sell my camper jacks since the local fwc dealer will do the swap when I buy my new truck.

Ah, the jacks...got them still in the boxes...probably will never buy another truck and never plan to remove Hawk unless something untold happens requiring repairs..if I had the jacks on I would only add to the weight and have protruding legs to snag on everything I squeeze through off road..

So, the jacks like my tailgate and my appendix will most likely never see any use.. :D

Phil

I kept mine on- it's handy to set things on, it's a nice porch- and bonus- if someone hits me- I'd rather them hit the steel tailgate than the aluminum camper! I see it as a bit of protection.

Back
Top Bottom