Tailgate on or off...can't decide

Holmes

Advanced Member
Picking up my swift for my tacoma next week can't decide to take the tailgate off or not. Definitely like the look with it off but it looks like the tailgate still offers a nice little bench and step to access the camper and maybe some added protection from the elements if kept on. I was also going to relocate my back up cam if I take it off. Help me make a decision so I can move on to more pertinent things regarding the camper...ha.

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 110
Mr. Sage is correct. Entering with the tailgate off allows you to step up and in. With it on you have to bend over to enter and hope you don't wack your head. The tailgate is also close to 100lbs. Good chance to get stone chips if you leave it on. Take it off.

my opinion is alway off. If one thinks it is needed to support camper then a larger truck bed is indicated; otherwise it is in the way most of the time.

I guess I'm going the odd man out here. My dealer suggested I leave it on to help support the camper. I do like having it on as a little porch and I don't find it awkward getting in and out. I basically crawl in anyway and have a floor made up of foam tiles so it's not hard on the knees. Getting out, I step out and stand on the tailgate and then get down from there. I haven't used it without the tailgate so I guess I can't really compare, but I do like. It does get some rock chips now and again, but so does the rest of the truck.

I’m in the tailgate off camp. I like to be able to access the camper quickly while standing outside. The tailgate is one more thing to open and it prevents me from standing just outside and reaching in.

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Tailgate off. Off. Off. Off. Off. Now you know how strongly I feel about it.

Dual Hitch Extension. The top non load bearing receptacle sports a 24" Weathertech Bumpstep XL (which is a perfect step and place to perch coffee cups).

A Rubbermaid Commercial 2 step folding stool is sturdy, and perfectly works as the staircase to the Weathertech Bumpstep. This stool folds flat on the floor in storge within reach from the back door. FWIW, I added astroturf to the steps (secured with zip ties).

You need a replacement backup cam. The Arvada FWC dealer screwed mine to the bottom middle of the camper. When I took my camper off without disconnecting wiring, it ripped the wiring apart. OUCH. $275 mistake. Remember to disconnect the wiring when moving the camper around.

I've never missed the tailgate, and would resent crawling in & out if I had it. The camper doesn't need support there. ALSO, we exit the camper BACKWARDS holding the handle on the way.

Welcome to the FWC family!

PS, Make sure you pay the heavy green for upgraded suspension on your Taco. They ain't made for this heavy load and you'll be soooo much safer.

i have a swing away bike rack for when we take bikes camping. and it would not work with tailgate. i have a full size gmc, and was surprised at how much the tail gate weighed. i had atc put those fold up steps on the back side of camper. they get used to hang things from around the back. even fashioned a shelf to attach to one.

I have my Grandby (8' base) in a F250 shortbed (6.75' bed), with the tailgate still on. In decent weather we cook outside so its nice to have that 8" of tailgate to use as a shelf. Also, the Fords have the pullout step that can be pulled out of the tailgate and used to get into the camper if I don't want to set up my Little Giant ladder to get in. The top step of the 4 step Little Giant ladder hits at the same height as the tailgate on my Tremor F250, so its easy to step right in the camper. I also replaced the dinky little stock grab-handle next to the door, with a much larger one that makes getting in and out much easier. I've never used my Grandby without the tailgate, so ignorance is bliss in my case.

goinoregon said:
i have a swing away bike rack for when we take bikes camping. and it would not work with tailgate. i have a full size gmc, and was surprised at how much the tail gate weighed. i had atc put those fold up steps on the back side of camper. they get used to hang things from around the back. even fashioned a shelf to attach to one.
I have the Yakima Backswing swing-away that we attach our bike rack to, with a 12" extension in front of the backswing, and that give me enough clearance with the tailgate down.

Back
Top Bottom