Taking out Stove and sink

tofuMT

Hello, I have a 2003 Hawk that is in really good shape. My family of four use it a lot around MT, ID, UT, and WY. We are finding that as the kids get bigger, we are not needing the sink and stove and prefer to cook and clean on a raft table under the awning.

Since we are packing more and bigger gear as the kids grow, we need more space for storage.

Does anyone have experience with taking out the stove and sink and converting that space to just plain storage?

I would keep the water tank and heater as we do use both these things.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have experience with removing the sink and stove but plan on removing them as well as the water tank. In my camper, the tank sits right next to the propane cabinet under the stove which is prime storage space. I prefer to cook outside and portable water containers are more useful to me.

Howdy and welcome to WTW

We own a Hawk that started as a shell and our use of the camper also involves wanting lot of indoor space.

As a result we have two opposing bench seats and I also cut the rear overhead cabinet in half and put one half on the drivers side rear.

This allows us to sit opposite each other without the hitting ones' head.

Further , we sleep cross ways, one up one down.....this works out very well for our style of travel camping.

David Graves

Hey TofuMT, Just a thought for your consideration.

I am on my second FWC, have a 2019 Hawk shell now with furnace and stove, no sink. I also prefer cooking outside, but had the factory install the two burner flush mount stove, the furnace and propane tanks on my setup take up the bulk of the cabinet, the stove really doesn't take up any space.

I have been doing lots of trips in west Texas this winter, Big Bend NP, Big Bend Ranch SP, Guadalupe Mt NP, Lincoln National Forest, and Hueco Tanks. I found myself cooking indoors more this winter than ever before, due to extremely high winds. I was really glad I had the stove.

Anyway, don't know the layout of your 2003 Hawk, but the following are in one cabinet, propane tanks on bottom, furnace and batteries above, then the stove. With the stove closed I have a large flat counter. If I took out my stove I wouldn't save any space. Anyway, just some food for thought, you may be able to remodel, keep the stove and still gain space.

Good luck and happy camping.

I would agree with Larry.. We cook outside whenever we can, but having the option to cook inside during inclement weather is really nice.. plus, once is a while a 3rd burner is nice (typically for rice for us)..

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it. I may look to keep the stove as the weather out here does get nasty on occasions.
LarryQP thanks, good point on it.

I'll probably reach out again as I begin the tear out. Seems straight forward but don't want to muck anything up!

Cheers

I have a Hawk shell with furnace and flush mount stove. When cooking inside during bad weather I wished I had a sink inside just to dispose of waste water. I used a funnel and some tubing to make a drain...posted some photos in the budget mods thread.

I pulled the sink, stove and water tank out of my Blazer camper. Completely opened up storage for sure. I, like others have said would rather cook outside than in. However, I made a provision to allow the use of my campstove on the countertop if I needed to cook inside due to weather.

It's pretty easy to pull the parts out. You may have to remove the main face board off the cabinet to access the sink and stove underneath. Once you have access it's just a matter of removing the parts. Don't forget to cap off or remove the water inlet and drain.

Back
Top Bottom