TC Insurance questions, my current provider, USAA, is not doing a good job

Hey TC friends, my current insurance provider USAA doesn't seem to have a clue what a truck camper is, how to insure it, and generally is terrible with my current hail damage claim here in Colorado.

USAA continues to ask for the vin, RV information, and refer to it as a roof top camper despite my corrections. USAA also doesn't seem to have a way to reference the camper in a claim, they keep asking if the damage was to my truck or my wife's car.

Any insurance companies you guy suggest that seem to understand what a TC is and how to cover it?

Allstate in New Mexico doesn't seem to have any problem knowing what a truck camper is and it is covered by my truck policy without additional fee. I brought the cost of my FWC to my agent's attention and she wasn't concerned. Of course, I've not had to make a claim either, so some might say the rubber has not yet met the road.

First Bill I also have Alstate and have separate coverage for the camper.
Years ago the camper was covered under home owners insurance.
When I added the camper to coverage I gave the agent a picture of our rig to add to the file.
Now I have never made a claim and I guess you don't know how good your coverage is until than.
The agents always tell you one thing but when you have a claim it might be different.

I have had Allstate since 1968,WOW 50 years.
Oh well in all those years haven't had any problems but haven't had any claims.
When I did use them was for other people hitting me,and they stood by us 100%.

Second, Rusty have you sent your agent a picture of your truck/camper?

Keep us posted.
Frank

Hey Rusty, I recently added my 2018 Fleet shell to my auto policy with State Farm and had no problems. I provided them the MSO, purchase agreement and serial numbers and they were good to go. The camper is worth twice as much as the truck (09 Toy Tacoma), and the additional charge was only $60 for six months coverage. As someone else mentioned though, it's all easy until you make a claim.

coloradoclimber97 said:
Hey Rusty, I recently added my 2018 Fleet shell to my auto policy with State Farm and had no problems. I provided them the MSO, purchase agreement and serial numbers and they were good to go. The camper is worth twice as much as the truck (09 Toy Tacoma), and the additional charge was only $60 for six months coverage. As someone else mentioned though, it's all easy until you make a claim.
If your SF policy is like mine, understand that it’s not covered when removed from the truck at any site other than your property, or property you rent (e.g. a rented storage facility).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If your SF policy is like mine, understand that it’s not covered when removed from the truck at any sit other than your property, or property you rent (e.g. a rented storage facility).
I did not realize that, thanks for pointing it out. As always Sage, I appreciate your input as I store the shell at an offsite location which is susceptible to hail just like the OP.

Mark

We use USAA for everything - except camper insurance. They don't do that as you have found out. We have Progressive just for our camper. Less than $100/yr.

rustyshackleford55 said:
I'll let you know how the claim goes, just very apprehensive about using USAA after this
Well, I suggest you spend a few minutes reading this web page, it's the best explanation I've seen on the various kinds of RV insurance you might need:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

Over at Escapees, they recommend a few independent insurance agents who specialize in RV insurance and can offer you policies from a number of companies. Might be worthwhile to talk to these people and get some quotes for comparison:

https://www.blueskycoverage.com/auto/rv.php

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

Taku said:
We use USAA for everything - except camper insurance. They don't do that as you have found out. We have Progressive just for our camper. Less than $100/yr.
USAA actually owns progressive, they initially tried to steer me there but said since its "attached" to the truck its under the truck coverage

Too many insurance agents will tell you that your camper is covered which is true as far as liability is concerned : specifically, bodily injury or property damage. If you want coverage for damage to your camper you have to have comprehensive and collision coverage on the camper and the camper should be listed as an item on your auto policy showing what the deductible is. Some companies do not offer this and should tell you that you would need a separate RV or Motorhome policy as Taku has done.
For those of you who have asked your agent if your camper is covered for physical damage and you don't see it listed on your policy I would send them an e-mail confirming that they said it was covered. If damage were to happen and your claim is denied you can go after your agent's Errors and Omissions insurance. Anything that your agent says about your policy becomes an expressed warrantee of coverage, so cover your self by having a paper trail.

I just rechecked my auto policy.
Listed after all the vehicles. Has it's own info.
I agree if unsure talk to your agent.
As said earlier I have on record a photo of truck/camper,
which the agent placed in my file.
Frank

I have had USAA Insurance for almost 50 years. My FW Hawk is insured by Progressive through USAA. There seems to be a problem with the terminology they use for truck campers, I called Progressive a few weeks ago to make sure they understood exactly what I was insuring. They assured me they knew. I have never had any problems with USAA, just great service. I believe the policy actually refers to it as a RV.

norrisd said:
I have had USAA Insurance for almost 50 years. My FW Hawk is insured by Progressive through USAA. There seems to be a problem with the terminology they use for truck campers, I called Progressive a few weeks ago to make sure they understood exactly what I was insuring. They assured me they knew. I have never had any problems with USAA, just great service. I believe the policy actually refers to it as a RV.
Part of the terminology problem might come from the fact that MOST state motor vehicle departments don't consider a truck camper as anything more than cargo carried in the back of your truck, just like any other cargo. No Title, Registration, or Plate needed.

Update here: USAA is still trying to figure out how to cover the roof of my 2018 four wheel camper from hail damage. The issue as 'optimistic paranoid' said is that the camper was treated as cargo and doesn't have its own policy. I think I'll eventually get this straightened out but I have added a policy from progressive in the mean time as I'm NOT confident USAA would cover serious damage. The policy was $300 a year

rustyshackleford55 said:
Update here: USAA is still trying to figure out how to cover the roof of my 2018 four wheel camper from hail damage. The issue as 'optimistic paranoid' said is that the camper was treated as cargo and doesn't have its own policy. I think I'll eventually get this straightened out but I have added a policy from progressive in the mean time as I'm NOT confident USAA would cover serious damage. The policy was $300 a year
I have USAA and this is exactly what my Rep told me, that since the camper is not permanent install (aka which would make it an RV and which USAA doesn't cover) it's covered as Cargo at the times I would be using the camper...
Now I've never had to make a claim but this is what USAA explained to me...

knoxswift said:
I have USAA and this is exactly what my Rep told me, that since the camper is not permanent install (aka which would make it an RV and which USAA doesn't cover) it's covered as Cargo at the times I would be using the camper...
Now I've never had to make a claim but this is what USAA explained to me...
Now, in the fine print, is there anything about a maximum amount that they will pay for damaged "cargo"?

Back
Top Bottom