Temporary tie down of fwc

HandTurkee

Advanced Member
Apologies if this has been covered, I assume it has. I did some searching but couldn't find anything.

I am currently shopping for a fwc but have not yet setup my truck bed for the traditional fwc tie down method. I plan to do that eventually If I find a camper soon, is there a safe way to tie the camper down to bring it home?

Fyi I do have torklift frame mounts on my truck. Is there an attachment point in the fwc? Maybe the jack bracket?

You can use the jack brackets with your Tork lift mounts. You might have to remove the jacks to do so, If your tie downs (Fast Guns, chains) are going to be bringing it home, consider carabiners for the jack plates, or a looped strap to go over jack and all. Be careful of any fraying surface.

If you don’t want the eyebolts in the bed, I believe the Tork Lifts would be a great way to go, just be careful not to snag anything with the mount.

I hope this helps.

I plan to do eyebolts...just have a few projects ahead of installing those and wanted to make sure I have a way to pickup a camper if I find the right one in the meantime. This is very helpful, thank you.

I use the torklift frame mounts on the front mount of my camper. I drilled an extra hole in the jack bracket (because I didn't want to enlarge the jack bracket holes) that is large enough for the hook of the torklift.

When I went to pick up my Hawk...I used the stock bed tie downs in front...used the hooks ends of a ratchet strap as an extension and ran the stock turnbuckles...I still the stock Ram tie points and turnbuckles with a quick link as an extension. In the rear I used ratchet straps from the jack brackets to the hitch...worked great. I now use the stock tie down points in the rear with a short piece of chain as an extension for the turnbuckles.

CatButt said:
When I went to pick up my Hawk...I used the stock bed tie downs in front...used the hooks ends of a ratchet strap as an extension and ran the stock turnbuckles...I still the stock Ram tie points and turnbuckles with a quick link as an extension. In the rear I used ratchet straps from the jack brackets to the hitch...worked great. I now use the stock tie down points in the rear with a short piece of chain as an extension for the turnbuckles.
I would suggest that's not a very good solutiion. The bed tie down points are made for those kind of stresses. You've seen all those pictures of bent/broke turnbuckles? That's a lot of stress on the bed tie downs that are designed for that... just my opinion.

HandTurkee said:
Apologies if this has been covered, I assume it has. I did some searching but couldn't find anything.

I am currently shopping for a fwc but have not yet setup my truck bed for the traditional fwc tie down method. I plan to do that eventually If I find a camper soon, is there a safe way to tie the camper down to bring it home?

Fyi I do have torklift frame mounts on my truck. Is there an attachment point in the fwc? Maybe the jack bracket?
You can easily use your Torklift Fastguns with an appropriate piece of chain and a quick link through the jack mounting holes on the jack bracket. The attached picture illustrates. Note: Use an appropriate threaded quick link, not a snap link as pictured (the camper was being moved around the yard at the time).

Attachments

• IMG_4572.JPG
    IMG_4572.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 143

Back
Top Bottom