Temporary tie downs

Stereo

Advanced Member
I'm shopping for a used FWC Eagle for my Extended Cab Tacoma with 6' bed. Currently, I have an old Skamper that I renovated which is secured to the bed with Happijac bumper buttons in the back and Torklifts in the front. Since most Eagle installs use the in-bed, eyebolt system, It's probable any Eagle I find won't have corner braces (which would be the way for me to attach the camper with my current system).

If you've successfully transported a camper using a temporary system, I'd love to get your advice on how to safely transport the camper on a trip that could entail hundreds of highway miles. Specifics would be great, i.e. "use a xx-lb rated, x" wide ratchet strap secured to [location] on your truck." Thank you for the advice. I promise not to hold you liable for any flying campers. :p

I think all FWC have corner brackets that the jacks attach too. Take the jacks off and use what you already have to get it home. The only thing you might need to do is to drill out the bottom hole a hair to get the bigger "Quick Link" through it. I use my torklift system to tie mine down instead of bolting it to the bed.

What Riverrunner said find some shackles that will fit in the jack bolt holes(1/2"), 5/16 and 3/8 stainless shackles listed in my marine catalog have a load capacity between 6k and 9.6k lbs respectivly.

" transported a camper using a temporary system"

Tow strap over the top Harbor Freight $12.99 Spend $32.99 for a 3" strap if you ever plan to pull with it

Just a rope across the back to keep it from sliding in worst case, make several loops.

This is just a temporary to get you home. You should have a 3" strap anyway :)

When one of the eyebolts pulled out I used a 1" ratchet strap from jack flange to whatever part of the truck I could hook it on. Took me from Texas to Massachusetts. No problems.

Hey RiverRunner. Amazingly enough, corner brackets are an option on FWCs. A lot of them don't have them installed. Owners use tripod jacks to get their camper off.

Back
Top Bottom