The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
My lovely wife will turn 70 this spring and I will do so in October. You give us hope that 70 is not such a strange and terrifying age. Thanks for sharing your fascinating adventures. Looking forward to the next installment!

As long as the "benchmarks" keep coming we're good.
I've got a big one (80) next April no camping but a nice trip to Spain will do.

The art on the Tablelands rocks is different than other rock art you have posted.

Thanks for the beginning of the trip. Waiting is good for I know what terrific
stories await us.
Thanks for taking the time to share them.
Frank

!! nice post. happy birthday. hadnt seen any posts from u of late, and was wondering what was up. glad u two are well. helen and i visited baja for a short 10 day visit.

rubberlegs said:
Great report. Very interested in part 2!
Something tells me you might be!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. My trip report duties got sidelined by a quick after solstice trip. I'll be back at it soon. Just need to get home.

Happy belated birthday! Great report and wonderful photos as usual, Ski, looking forward to the ensuing posts.
We're headed down to Anza-Borrego next week for a 14-day trip celebrating our 43rd anniversary. We both turn 70 in August 2024 and are planning to travel back to the Adirondacks for the total solar eclipse.

Now that the holidays have passed, major storms have rolled through, and we disappeared on yet another adventure, I'm back to work on our evolving trip story. Thank you for your patience. Also, this next installment was difficult to tackle and I wanted to be sensitive as to what to include. I'm working on the upcoming chapters. Maybe I'm getting slower now that I've turned 70?

Here we go -

The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022 - Part Two - Death Valley

Please enjoy. :)

ski3pin said:
Now that the holidays have passed, major storms have rolled through, and we disappeared on yet another adventure, I'm back to work on our evolving trip story. Thank you for your patience. Also, this next installment was difficult to tackle and I wanted to be sensitive as to what to include. I'm working on the upcoming chapters. Maybe I'm getting slower now that I've turned 70?

Here we go -

The 70th Birthday Adventure - November 2022 - Part Two - Death Valley

Please enjoy. :)
That discovery in the beginning wasn’t the kind most of us would expect, but the four of you handed it quite well.

I haven't found a body but there have been times when I was sort of expecting one. Did they find any ore in the mine?

Thx Monte !
hopefully, the passing was from natural causes...
and thx for the step by step actions taken.

i dont have an inreach - maybe that is something i need to add to my gear.
go

Part 2 was definitely interesting. Good takeaway that it is definitely nice to have a way to still communicate when out of cell range. We ended up with an Inreach after getting into a predicament and wishing we had one. We were able to self recover in the end, but it was enough of a lesson that we picked one up. We'd have been walking out at least 20 miles if we hadn't been able to ultimately self recover. This story offers another reason for an Inreach or similar device - it may not be you that needs the rescuing, but you may feel pretty helpless if unable to render assistance, if communication is the assistance that is needed.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Those are quite amazing trip reports, Mr. Ski3pin and The Lady 3pin. It was quite an experience to use the InReach device for its intended purpose. Since we had great sky coverage, the communication was fast. I'm glad we had the phone app, which made typing messages a lot easier and faster. I hope the person found is resting in peace. We were really fortunate that you both have so much Search and Rescue experience and knew exactly how to handle the situation.

It was a delight to experience the neato places you seem to find so magically!

rubberlegs said:
Those are quite amazing trip reports, Mr. Ski3pin and The Lady 3pin. It was quite an experience to use the InReach device for its intended purpose. Since we had great sky coverage, the communication was fast. I'm glad we had the phone app, which made typing messages a lot easier and faster. I hope the person found is resting in peace. We were really fortunate that you both have so much Search and Rescue experience and knew exactly how to handle the situation.

It was a delight to experience the neato places you seem to find so magically!
To be clear for all reading this, rubberlegs - Steve & Deb, were our two friends with us. Steve sent and handled the InReach communications.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom