The 9 most over looked road trips

billharr

I have done two of the roads in this article. Hwy 395 and the Florida Keys.

trans.gif

ONE THING AMERICA HAS NEVER LACKED is open road. Yet with so many options, we often tend to stick to the tried and true: Jack Kerouac’s Route 66, the Pacific Coast Highway up California’s coast, roads that take us to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls.

But the US is so much more than its classic attractions. It’s the country that birthed BBQ and the Blues. It’s the country with both the obvious beauty of the Sierras and the subtle magic of the Iowa hills. And it’s a country where early settlers on their journey towards Oregon made the American road trip a historical act.
What parts of America have we been missing? Click here for full article.

5 (many times although I hardly think Hwy 395 is overlooked), 6 (partial) & 8 (long time ago).

Oregon is crisscrossed with scenic byways and tour routes, so they can't be called "overlooked" although many such as the Steens Loop are not that well traveled.

Did 1, 2 and 3 while in the military in the early 80's. And, we were simply in search of a good time!

But, I'd hardly call some of these roads "overlooked" based on today's traffic/congestion.

Brother in law was Superintendent at Fossil Butte National Monument (near Kemmerer, WY) in mid-80s. He took me out on the plains and the Oregon Trail out in the middle of no where. Wagon wheel ruts still plainly visible along with a few grave stones along the section we drove the Willys. Hard to phathom all the things US citizens had accomplished in the 140 (+35 since I was there) years since a man and his family rolled along those plains in a wagon!

Back
Top Bottom