The Acoustic Thread - What are you listening to?

4llamas said:
Klunk. Wonder what I did wrong to get this code instead of the video?
If you're on a non tablet device, click on the left most icon in the address (URL) field, and copy that. I believe that will fix it. Nice banjo regardless.

Back in the days of my youth, I remember this was one of the first folk songs I heard. But, it was the popular, toned down, Burl Ives version. I prefer the original words from the hobo days.

I really like John Hartford. It's a shame he passed so young.

Big Rock Candy Mountain was on the Down from the Mountain album that included some of the music from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Another performer on that album was Gillian Welch, plus her partner David Rawlins.

Speaking of passing too young I've been listening to a bunch of Steve Goodman lately.

[media]

It was mostly acoustic this afternoon as I drove to my campspot in Oregon's Warner Mts.:
  • BeauSoleil: "Parlez-Nous a Boire"
  • Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Time Out"
  • Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir: "Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares"
I won't mention the Smashing Pumpkins interlude, since that would be off-topic.
;)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I really like John Hartford. It's a shame he passed so young.

Big Rock Candy Mountain was on the Down from the Mountain album that included some of the music from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Another performer on that album was Gillian Welch, plus her partner David Rawlins.
John Hartford was my introduction to bluegrass. I still enjoy his music.

I was fortunate enough to see the "Down From the Mountain" tour when it stopped in Salem, OR. The number of A list musicians traveling for a 2-3 hour concert was staggering. There were probably 75-100 musicians. My bluegrass dream come true. I need to get that recording.

4llamas said:
John Hartford was my introduction to bluegrass. I still enjoy his music.

I was fortunate enough to see the "Down From the Mountain" tour when it stopped in Salem, OR. The number of A list musicians traveling for a 2-3 hour concert was staggering. There were probably 75-100 musicians. My bluegrass dream come true. I need to get that recording.
We have friends in Eugene one used to work for the convention center .They sure get a lot of great people to play in the area.
Frank

One of my fondest memories is spending a day, several years ago, sitting, talking, and sharing stories with John Hartford. He was a talented and remarkable person. This was in, of all places, Fallon, Nevada.

One of our favorite movies is The Grey Fox, a Canadian movie staring Richard Farnsworth. The outlaw Bill Miner is credited with inventing the command, "Hands up!" Norman Blake steps back into time with this old folk ballad.

a clip from the movie

In this multimedia age perhaps what we're listening to and watching on TV counts. A couple of times in the last 3 weeks I've channel surfed to find re-runs of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival broadcast on Palladia. As a result, I've enjoyed some magnificent guitar work from Slowhand himself, Keb Mo, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, John Mayer, Derek Trucks, Johnny Winter, and Doyle Bramhall II, just to name the first few off the top of my head. Each with their own backup band (including Jeff Beck's amazing bassist Tal Wilkenfeld-the Prodigy from Down Under) and playing along with one another in various combinations. Palladia runs these for 3-5 hours of programming time, catching the high points of each years' Festival.

Do you think Steve Goodman is smiling from the beyond,about his Cubs?Also do you think Steven Spielberg and George Lucus
have some sort of crystal ball? In the 1995 movie "Back to the Future 2",there is a video billboard,...Cubs win world series 2015.
Who knows. Would be nice,go Cubbies!!!
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
[media]
you think Steve Goodman is smiling from the beyond,about his Cubs?Also do you think Steven Spielberg and George Lucus
have some sort of crystal ball? In the 1995 movie "Back to the Future 2",there is a video billboard,...Cubs win world series 2015.
Who knows. Would be nice,go Cubbies!!!
Frank
Of course he is!

[media]

Even if sometimes others take over his ballpark with parrots and landsharks

I was watching an Public Broadcasting special on Craft in America (Music), documenting true talent in instrument making. If you get a chance to see it, it's worth the watch. Here's a video of Rhiannon Giddens playing a replica of an 1850s banjo. The music starts at about 2:40 if you want to skip ahead.

Back
Top Bottom