The Acoustic Thread - What are you listening to?

Here's Billy, Doug, Larry, Ray, and Ted having fun with an Earl Scruggs classic. Doug Dillard did much of the banjo work - uncredited - in the movie Bonnie & Clyde

John Prine has been one of my favorites for a long time. Here's an early song that seems more relevant now, literally with each passing day...

I have been listening to him since the 70's and he is one of my favorites. I have seen him play 6-7 times... once (when I was a hippie) I was at a Bonnie Raitt Concert in the Berkshires (College Inn?) anyway after awhile she says hey I got my friend here who'd like to play... out walked John... they were terrific. My wife is from Kentucky... we have been there and it is sad what was left after the companies walked away. Did you know that our nation's Poet Laureate nominated John and he was designated a "National Treasure"!? He got a hoot outta that.

PS That is one stomping version of Foggy MT!!!!!

And Leo is another 70's favorite ... ( john Fayell? spelling)

Are you thinking of John Fahey? John passed away in 2001 here in Oregon. He had hit some hard times, but was pulling it together when he passed away after heart surgery. On of my colleagues was a relative and kept in touch with him. He was influential in his finger picking style.

Yup that's him... my memory is... well... I had an album that was with both Leo and John... College days listening ...
Busted Bicycle and Machine gun Watermelon?.... not sure on those titles. One of the favorites was " I'm the guy who didn't marry pretty Pamala Brown"

Always like John Prine.
Our local radio station KPIG, plays him all the time ,also a lot of all the other artists mentioned
in this thread.

Didn't I hear one of the president candidates spout off about bringing back the coal mining to the
KY area. Lost jobs and the such. It only takes about 4/5 men to level a mountain top of coal.
No jobs there. Seems like the past might be the future!
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Always like John Prine.
Our local radio station KPIG, plays him all the time ,also a lot of all the other artists mentioned
in this thread.

Didn't I hear one of the president candidates spout off about bringing back the coal mining to the
KY area. Lost jobs and the such. It only takes about 4/5 men to level a mountain top of coal.
No jobs there. Seems like the past might be the future!
Frank

Back in my aircrew days, we took several low level trips over West Virginia and Kentucky in CH 46 helicopters. In addition to the landscape destruction, what struck me was the vivid colors leaching out of the disturbed areas, running into the streams. That couldn't have been good for the fish, nor the people who had to take their drinking water from those sources.

I love Patsy.... and Rhiannon does it pretty sweet. I was humming this song just the other day.

I have only heard her before on the John Print Album where he does duets with country women singers... she sure has a distinct voice. That was a sweet song I forwarded to the Mrs. ... she liked it too...thanks

Back
Top Bottom