The Acoustic Thread - What are you listening to?

"Malagueña", was written by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona (1896-1963) in 1928. It is the sixth movement of his "Suite Andalucia". As a composer and performer, his activities were influential throughout Latin America, Spain and the United States. Carlos Montoya adapted it for flamenco style guitar, and it was the title track on his 1961 live album. This recording was influential in the piece becoming a guitar standard, even though it was originally written for piano.

This version by American guitarist Michael Lucarelli is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6jOUzBKYc

Been on the road quite a bit over the past few years. Bottom of Baja to the Northwest Territories..........Sirius Radio is a life saver!

A tech savvy street performer. Nice example of catching a bit of his music, then looping and adding in other parts.

An old Gypsy Kings song...

Several years ago I spent a day with John Hartford at the Desert Oasis Bluegrass Festival in Fallon Nevada. It is one of my cherished memories. We were both presenting workshops over the noon hour and we had an ongoing joke that we'd each rather attend the other's presentation. Good times.

A little "steampunk" from back in 1971. Yup, I bought the album as soon as it came out. I still have it, vintage vinyl. :)

Back
Top Bottom