The Colorado Trip Summer 2010

Great pics ski. I just love the Colorado high country. I have realatives in the Denver area and I try to get out a least once a year. Maybe this fall .

mike

Awesome shots.

The shot you took looking across the Arkansas Valley is aimed almost directly at my log home that sits on the West side of the Mosquito Range. (we look across the valley and see Elbert/Mt.Massive forebay/Hwy 82)

For future reference, should anyone be interested, our HOA has a private campground....7 electric hook ups...bathroom/showers and a few "campsites".... an 1890 "lodge" that can be reserved, a couple of stocked trout fishin' lakes, and Empire Creek just over the hill. $3 a night for a tent spot...$7 a night for elec hookup. There are also 3 cabins that can be rented by the members for their guests.

glad ya had a good time. Very familiar stompin grounds as I'm up there once a week or so....

mtn

Amazing trip and as usual, your photos are stunning! That Stew is one tough old dude eh? Did he back his truck into any trees while you were with him? :D

Thanks, ski. I really enjoyed reading you report. And having lived in Grand Junction for a short time I loved the pictures of Grand Mesa. And Stew does bring rain, it's a gift and a curse.

mike

“Awesome shots. glad ya had a good time. Very familiar stompin grounds as I'm up there once a week or so....” mtn

Thanks Mtn-high. You sure live in a great place. Thanks for the info on the camping near your place. I am sure we will be back your way.

“Another batch of truly stunning pics...eagerly awaiting the next ‘installment’”! sunman

Sunman, I’m glad you enjoyed them!

“Amazing trip and as usual, your photos are stunning! That Stew is one tough old dude eh? Did he back his truck into any trees while you were with him? “ Dirty Dog

DD, yes Stew is one tough old geezer. On your question.... what happens in the Sawatch stays in the Sawatch.

“All those fish and you didn’t eat any?” Craig

I catch & release wild trout

“What kind of camera do you have?” DurangoSteve

Nikon D-40 dslr 18-200 VR lens. It’s big and heavy with this lens, but allows me to do a lot with only one lens. Battery life is great. Moments are fleeting; I hike with the camera out and ready. I have a uv filter to protect the lens. The lens cap is in my pack. If my photos are any good, it’s because of the wonderful places the Lady and I are able to visit. A good picture makes me happy.

“thanks, ski. I really enjoyed reading you report. And having lived in Grand Junction for a short time I loved the pictures of Grand Mesa. And Stew does bring rain, it's a gift and a curse.” mike

Hope it was fun reading. I wonder if Stew went to Iowa?

And DLN, thanks!

It's great to see familiar sites through someone else's eyes/perspective.

Camp Hale gets a bit of ATV use, but the heaviest use in that area is in winter when the snowmobilers come out. Nova Guides rents doos right there so there are usually quite a few folks roarin around on any given weekend.

You folks should check into the 10th mountain Hut System if you haven't heard of it/aren't already familiar with it. Basically it's a string of alpine cabins (maybe 8??) that are located in the forest near timberline on a high alpine route that stretches from Vail to Aspen. Folks snowshoe, CC, hike to one or more of the huts (sorry lazy types, no motorized vehicles are allowed) http://www.huts.org/ you can reserved/etc online. Expect company and first-come/first serve sleeping arrangements and lots and lots of fresh powder & solitude...

Believe it or not, the Grand Mesa is the largest tabletop mountain in the world. This is a place that might be fun for a RALLY sometime. Lotsa fishin and mosquitos! Some decent hiking trails. Ample camping. 6000 ft higher than Grand junction....

I need to get out more and take my camera with me. ya got some great shots. Too bad the trail riders ya met didn't give ya their email (LOL) cus that shot of em coming toward ya with the pup in front would look good on their wall...

be well

mtn

And Stew does bring rain, it's a gift and a curse.

mike

The curse: This summer hail trashed my roof (and my all my neighbors') plus during a second storm lightning hit my house taking out most of my electronics. The total destruction will be more that 20 grand.

The blessing: We needed the rain.

The curse: I hear my neighbors are circulating a petition that demands I leave the area . . .

Stew

The curse: This summer hail trashed my roof (and my all my neighbors') plus during a second storm lightning hit my house taking out most of my electronics. The total destruction will be more that 20 grand.

The blessing: We needed the rain.

The curse: I hear my neighbors are circulating a petition that demands I leave the area . . .

Stew

Dayum Stew...that stinks...sorry to hear that.

Looks like I am going to avoid any and all future rallys you plan on attending!
tongue.gif

Looks like I am going to avoid any and all future rallys you plan on attending!
tongue.gif

I'm hurt Sunman, really hurt!

Back
Top Bottom