The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

That is about it...but that's HUGE!
Well -- it's significant.
I switched to a 12-v compressor fridge when my 3-way fridge coolant system ruptured...but doing so basically forced me to add solar. (I sometimes camp several days in one spot so can't always rely on truck-alternator-charging-while-driving to re-charge the camper system). Having one cheap energy source -- propane -- to power refrigerator, stove, and furnace is not a trivial advantage....ummm, IMHO.
cool.gif

I see no advantage to a 3-way fridge. Leveling, temperature control, unintended frozen food, fan to aid cooloing, etc. I never worry about my 2-way. I turn it on and forget about it. The solar keeps up even with the low angle winter sun and coudy days.

My propane goes to the furnace, hot water, and stove. My two 10lb bottles will run those for 10 to 14 days. My fridge will run indefinitely. As summer arrives my need for propane goes down and the solar just gets better.

I see no advantage to a 3-way fridge. Leveling, temperature control, unintended frozen food, fan to aid cooloing, etc. I never worry about my 2-way. I turn it on and forget about it. The solar keeps up even with the low angle winter sun and coudy days.

Well, everyone chooses to place different weights on different advantages/disadvantages. I used my 3-way for years and it worked fine...it's really not that hard to use. They're standard equipment in high-end Airstream trailers. I'd still be using mine if it hadn't exploded.
wink.gif

I'd still be using mine if it hadn't exploded.
wink.gif

Sorry for your loss.....but it seems explosions would be a significant disadvantage. :D

Sorry for your loss.....but it seems explosions would be a significant disadvantage. :D

Well...you'd think so. But on the silver-lining/half-full angle, it allowed me to get re-acquainted with the charms of a Styrofoam cooler...all I could find to buy in Kanab! I needed something since I was 3 days into a 3-week trip!

Well...you'd think so. But on the silver-lining/half-full angle, it allowed me to get re-acquainted with the charms of a Styrofoam cooler...all I could find to buy in Kanab! I needed something since I was 3 days into a 3-week trip!

Ouch.
I think most of us can agree though that the ice chest frig in the FWC is the worst case solution....or can we agree on anything?
Beer and bacon?

...or can we agree on anything?
Beer and bacon?

Sorry...I don't drink.
sad.gif

But bacon is good. :)

All the options are nice. Some more than others obviously. My views have changed on some but since you are considering a shell I'll just say theres only a couple things you must add to a shell that are difficult to add later. Heater. Do it. Screen door. I guess. I don't have one and haven't missed but I'm also sure only one trip to mosquito country will make me wish I had it.

Pretty much all the rest can be added later if desired. Hot water heater should be added now if thats something you want. I didn't use mine much at first but I'm using it more and more now. Glad I have it. Make sure they pre wire for everything though I think they will anyway.

Options I'd do if I was ordering now and on a budget. Heater, fantastic vent fan, stove.

Options I added to mine later. 12v fridge. Awning. Solar. Extra battery. Microwave. Inverter. Upgraded lights to LED's.

I can't put myself in your shoes but since we are in similar climate zones, the Rockies, I'll give you my $17,000 worth:

Factory furnace - yes - a must in the Rockies
Sink, stove - yes
Frig - yes - two way electric compressor
Screen door - yes - almost impossible to add later
Dual batteries - yes
Arctic pac - yes - come on, you live in Wyoming, but easy to add later
Fantastic fan - yes - but could add it later
Front opening window - I didn't get it but.....I miss it
Hot water heater - nope - easy to heat water on the stove
Shower - nope - use a bug sprayer
Awning - nope - easy to add later
Radio - no way - better alternatives out there

What kind of lucky truck is going to get this 1,300 lb bundle of fun?
Note: My experiences only.....yours I'm sure may differ.

I'd say most of that sounds pretty good, the price is pretty much what I've been thinking is my absolute max though. The water heater has me troubled, obviously a nice convenience, but is it worth the money and potential trouble. Someone suggested if I am financing it I might as well get everything I think I may want which is a good point since it only brings up the payment a few buck anyhow I like your use of the bug/garden sprayer, that's a good idea. I'm definitely getting one of those to spray the dog off after hunting. I'll be settin this in a '07 dodge 1500 quad cab.

P.S. You from the UP? (your user name)

I originally hail from Da UP of michigan eh? Home of the national ski hall of fame, john D. Voelker and the invention of organized hockey,

yooper,

Talk to the factory or your dealer about options that do not show up on the (web) price list. For example, I purchased a Fleet for my Tacoma which is smaller than a Hawk (I think that's what you said, I'm too lazy to scroll back up), so the loss of storage due to the hot water heater is a greater percentage of my available galley storage than for a larger camper.

I was able to get the outside shower connection without the hot water heater, though that's not shown as a separate option. I wanted water outside for spraying off mud, refilling porta-potty, etc.

I didn't say to get "everything" as long as you were financing :) , but make sure you get all that you need, not necessarily all that one would want :LOL:

We have a 3-way fridge. Its inconsistent at best. Sometimes food stays cold, other times it does not. I've been looking at offing it and going with a compressor fridge rather than mess about with trying to make this fridge do what its supposed to.
How big is an MT-45?

I was dubious of the furnace, but the first time that we used it converted me. We don't use it much and it does need a better t-stat. More on my to-do list. I don't begrudge it the power that it consumes, but I do wish that it were less noisy.

Radio/stereo; I've been thinking to go with fixed speakers driven by a small car stereo amp, with an iPod or iPhone as the source. Already have the USB charging ports installed next to the 12VDC power point under the sink. We don't need/want "stored sound" often, so it has yet to be given much priority. Maybe I'll make the speakers removable and have both inside and outside Weatherpacks for the connections. hum.....

We have a FS shortbed camper in a FS long bed truck. Occasionally a water heater would be handy, but I doubt that my wife would be willing to give up any of the limited cabinet space for it. An outside shower would be very welcomed, but again the cabinet space lost wouldn't be.

I like Beer and Bacon! Along the same vain as this thread, does anybody feel like the reading lamp is worthy to be on the list of exercised options. I hate reading in bad light but beer or bacon are no problem in any light.

The new Kindles have a built in light. Eating bacon in the dark? I think thats against the rules.

The new Kindles have a built in light.

"Paperwhite" -- I just got one!
I wish it was propane-powered, though...

[sorry, yooper, for all the off-topic stuff...
tongue.gif
]

How flexible is FWC when ordering a camper? I have a flier for a shell model that I picked up at the sportsman show. Things like a "propane locker", it's not on the build list but is something I'd like to have to not build myself if I decide to forgo a furnace and do a Wav3. Or a storage cabinet on the passenger side, rear corner, like the what they build for the cassette potty. I just want the storage. Are they pretty good about some of those little things or do I have to stick to the list? I'm not asking for anything ultra custom.

When I started looking at these type of campers I figured it would be easy to figure out what I wanted....turns out, I think it's harder...

That is about it...but that's HUGE!
Well -- it's significant.
I switched to a 12-v compressor fridge when my 3-way fridge coolant system ruptured...but doing so basically forced me to add solar. (I sometimes camp several days in one spot so can't always rely on truck-alternator-charging-while-driving to re-charge the camper system). Having one cheap energy source -- propane -- to power refrigerator, stove, and furnace is not a trivial advantage....ummm, IMHO.
cool.gif

Leveling, pilots going out, limited temp differential, extra vent holes in the side of the camper, permanent install, etc.

Cons out weigh the one pro to me. Starting from scratch tgere is little savings and for $200 in solar you can match up the power draw to dismiss the low propane draw if you ask me...

P.S. note you did switch when in a from start over scenario rather than another propane unit, why?

I originally hail from Da UP of michigan eh? Home of the national ski hall of fame, john D. Voelker and the invention of organized hockey,

Wife is from manistique and we both went to tech.

A few thoughts below from someone who has just gone through this same process - we pick up our Fleet next week. Bear in mind that, since we have not actually used our choices, they may be completely wrong. The best advice I have is to take some time and read through all the posts you can on this forum and Expedition Portal. They may not have definitive answers for you but will provide you the pros and cons of the options. From there you get to figure what you think you need or want. Good luck with this journey - I thought it was a lot of fun (except when we actually had to make some of the decisions).

Hot water/shower: could not justify the expense and loss of cabinet space. Going with one of these instead: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?Helio+Pressure+Shower

Awning: easy to add later so we decided to wait to see how frequently we would have used it.

Frig: compressor. We were concerned about the need to be level. Thought hard about going with just ice until a friend who frequently travels our intended routes pointed out that block ice is getting harder and harder to find.

Solar: opted for the solar plug and pre-wiring but thought the full installation was far more expensive than adding the same capacity later. Plus we thought we should analyze our usage rather than guessing.

Stove, sink, furnace - mandatory for the High Command

One item you did not mention was the seating configuration. This was a really tough choice because all of them had pros and cons. Opted for the side dinette because we liked being able to see out the side window and it seemed to fit us better than the front dinette. YMMV

Good luck again - will be interested in reading about your decisions.

steelhead

Leveling, pilots going out, limited temp differential, extra vent holes in the side of the camper, permanent install, etc.

Cons out weigh the one pro to me.

I can only speak of my own experience, and all of those "cons" are things that either never happened for me or didn't trouble me -- all non-issues for me. Mine just worked...until it died (RIP).

P.S. note you did switch when in a from start over scenario rather than another propane unit, why?

Impulse buy, you could call it. XPMarc offered me an OK deal for an Indel Isotherm he had in stock, so I figured, "why not?".
Trying something different... It looked cool... It's Euro... Somethin to do... Impulse buy -- it's only money.
wink.gif

Anybody out there got a price list handy? I would be interested to know how much the compressor/solar combo is compared to just the 3 way fridge. It sounds as though the compressor fridge really needs the solar. I seem to remember the solar/compressor combo being north of 2k? Can anyone confirm?

Man thats hard to stomach. I just bought a top of the line stainless kitchen aid with water dispenser and ice maker for 1800.00. Maybe I can find a way to cram it in to my Hawk :oops:

I think we also need to keep in mind which locale the user will be using their FWC in. A 3 Way fridge may have to work harder in Arizona than lets say Northern Canada.

Fridges seem to equal problems or money. But then whats the cost of cold beer? Priceless!

Back
Top Bottom