The Landscape Photography Thread

I looked at singh-ray too, Patrick. But the "black cross from hell" at 3+ stops kind of scared me off! :oops:

Have you used it much? Do you find this to be an issue? I did like the idea of combining a polarizer.
I may try stacking my B+W polarizer on top of the ND. One nice thing about the B+W ND filter is that my lens cap still clicks into place.
I can't do that with the polarizer, which makes it problematic when being put in the camera bag.

But the "black cross from hell" at 3+ stops kind of scared me off!
I guess I don't understand or I don't see it in the images. We have each have the thin one and have used it many times over the years. I bracketed shutter speed by changing the stops on the var-ring stops, so I use the whole range. The thin mount even though there are no threads on the front my lens cap will still click on. Shoot more shots then you need because each shot will give you a different water pattern, some nicer then others. Back off some on the polarizer some to still have the effect of water flowing but enough to take the shine off wet objects.

Very small size image, this was taken around mid day lighting at Iguazu falls, Argentina with the Singh-Ray.

Attachments

• 111103_PP5118-Edit.jpg
    111103_PP5118-Edit.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 51
Pretty cool to get long shutter speeds midday.

The cross pattern I read about seems to appear for some folks when the two polarised filters cross at ninety degrees.

----
I see clikrf8 uses singh-ray ND also. Certainly Galen R believed in singh-ray. I'm trying out B+H with a single coat, six stop filter.

Here's another shot using the filter, taken today in Grass Valley at the Mining Museum, just a few minutes from work. Callie got to run around while I fiddled with tripod and using a few lenses.

I am in the photo archives, reworking a few shots, editing some that I hadn't worked previously. This is in the Cedar Mesa, Utah area...

15694212099_ba7f2dd5fa_b.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush's hands got me inspired to take a look at some glyphs from a trip to southern Hart Mtn area in SE Oregon. Decided that a B/W conversion gave me a bit more latitude to enhance contrast. I have seen few of the hand representations in my travels. These are really close to current ground level (12-18") but surmise they predate the Mt. Mazama eruption that filled in the ajacent lakebed with a signifcant ash layer plus later sediments...but what do I know?? :unsure:
LongLk_Sept13_JDavis-web.jpg

Hey Park!
Nice shots. I also like the second shot.

I spotted that abandoned schoolhouse shot when I was traveling back from skiing the Selkirks in Jan 2013.
I heard the windows were busted out, but the building looks okay in your shot.

Here are a couple from Mono Lake. We were driving down for Thanksgiving at Benton and spent the night near the lake.
I hiked down to the shore to see the dawn light. There was a brief show of red, then everything went to blue and gray.

Mono Nessie

Back
Top Bottom