The Quest for Fall Colors

Hey, at least somebody is putting up some stuff from our trip :oops:
It's been a busy week, but I'll follow suit soon.

-----

Just visited your blog, Ski.
Your storytelling skills and photos are re-creating the story for me in a wonderful way. Great to see your photos too.
I'll send a link over to SR for her enjoyment.

The "interesting stuff" looks like ore assayers' crucibles. Each "fire assay" requires a bone or ceramic crucible, and they're discarded after one use. The Lady is of course right to wonder why it's allowable to leave them strewn about. I imagine the land at and around the mine was "patented", transferring ownership from the public to the mine owner, as with workings as extensive as those at the Log Cabin Mine it seems doubtful an operator would invest so much in developing the deposit absent having received title through patenting. Trashing one's own patented claim is little if any more acceptable than trashing public land, but it may explain why it happened at the Log Cabin Mine.

Foy

While I didn't make out in the Bobcat ,we made out usual day trip to Heenan Lake to catch,and release some big cutthroats.We had some great color with the aspens putting on a great show.
The winter snow storm was a nice extra,but closed off the pass for a return trip this week end.
Fall adventure to Heenan lake

Enjoyed Ski's report on the trip.Thanks Ski.
Frank

Lighthawk, it was so nice to see you and SR again and to meet the new, very special addition to your family. We are looking forward to seeing your artistry with photography, your take on a very nice weekend!

Mr. Casa, looks like you had a a great fall getaway. I had to go down the hill today. Coming back up I was actually shocked to see the mountain panorama covered with snow. First view this year!

Some great campsites and photos. Thanks for sharing them. Those aspens are really beautiful. Love the cocktail hour service.

Nice fish Frank.

While I didn't make out in the Bobcat ,we made out usual day trip to Heenan Lake to catch,and release some big cutthroats.We had some great color with the aspens putting on a great show.
The winter snow storm was a nice extra,but closed off the pass for a return trip this week end.
Fall adventure to Heenan lake

Enjoyed Ski's report on the trip.Thanks Ski.
Frank

Wow, Frank, great fish! Nice colors, Too.

Thanks for the fine report/photos, ski3pin. I enjoyed the get-together, too.
Inspires me to get my 10 days of photos together for my own TR.

Like others, I always look forward to Ski3pins Trip Reports. But I'm always a little more interested because I can't wait to see what stories he has made up about me this time. Landing lights and a happy hour - where do you come up with this stuff? Even stepped it up with a photo-shopped picture of me from a benefit I was serving at. Well done. :LOL:

It was good to finally meet the Lighthawks and play with their new puppy, Callie. And it is always good to camp with old friends like MarkBC and the 3pinners again. The colors were definitely muted this year compared to last year. Still a chance to spend the weekend camping in the eastern Sierras is a good weekend.

Mr. Casa, looks like you had a a great fall getaway. I had to go down the hill today. Coming back up I was actually shocked to see the mountain panorama covered with snow. First view this year!

Ski,do any of you get to see that huge old growth stand of aspens as you start up the hill from the Carson River toward Monitor Pass? It's the one on the west (right) side of the road about a mile or so up the hill. We get to see it first thing in the morning as we head to Heenah for the day and also late in the afternoon.We have never been disappointed with the color.This year though seemed to be extra special,sorry not a picture,it's too hard to capture it must be seen in person.The colors are from greenish yellow to the bright orange to red,with the stark white trunks,all this against the rocky hillside.If you haven't seen this,next fall give it a look.

Sure enjoyed the TR,thanks for all the work you put in to it,especially the "landing lights".

One of these days we will have to meet up with the group.One thing I notice about this site and members there seems to be a nice camaraderie among groups. Like the sightings and the cult thing.Do the other types of campers,like the huge motor homes check each other out?

Enjoy the week end.It's summer here on the coast again.
Frank

<snip>........... I'm always a little more interested because I can't wait to see what stories he has made up about me this time. Landing lights and a happy hour - where do you come up with this stuff? Even stepped it up with a photo-shopped picture of me from a benefit I was serving at. Well done. :LOL:
<snip>

Ted, Ted, Ted, you know the Lady and I picked up the landing lights as we were driving in. What you don't know is that I saved one (you're missing a red one, aren't you), just in case I needed evidence. I saw it when we unloaded the truck Sunday night. This evening I've torn the place apart looking for it. Darn, I can't seem to find it.................... :eek:

I was going to say your not finding the light is proof it never happened. but then i saw Lighthawks TR. Hmm, a photo with landing lights. Busted. Ok, maybe you didn't make them one up. :cool:

I was going to say your not finding the light is proof it never happened. but then i saw Lighthawks TR. Hmm, a photo with landing lights. Busted. Ok, maybe you didn't make them one up. :cool:

:eek:

Always enjoy your reports and pictures Ski. Thanks for taking the time and putting it out there for our enjoyment. And a pleasure reading about Ted's adventures.

Ski,do any of you get to see that huge old growth stand of aspens as you start up the hill from the Carson River toward Monitor Pass? It's the one on the west (right) side of the road about a mile or so up the hill. We get to see it first thing in the morning as we head to Heenah for the day and also late in the afternoon.We have never been disappointed with the color.This year though seemed to be extra special,sorry not a picture,it's too hard to capture it must be seen in person.The colors are from greenish yellow to the bright orange to red,with the stark white trunks,all this against the rocky hillside.If you haven't seen this,next fall give it a look.

Sure enjoyed the TR,thanks for all the work you put in to it,especially the "landing lights".

One of these days we will have to meet up with the group.One thing I notice about this site and members there seems to be a nice camaraderie among groups. Like the sightings and the cult thing.Do the other types of campers,like the huge motor homes check each other out?

Enjoy the week end.It's summer here on the coast again.
Frank

:rolleyes: Frank, I echo those comments-the big rigs always meet in bunches (sort of like lemmings) and usually can't go where we go-but all they got color TV's ! I wonder if they saw any "Basko art " on those fine looking Aspens? Seeing all these threads from that area brings back lot's of good times i had there after I got out of the Army in 1967-worked at the Wagon Wheel in Tahoe for three years before I went back to school at CSC Stanislaus. Spent all of my free time out there exploring! Turned out the group I ran with at Turkey Tec also spent allot of time in the Eastern Sierras around Mono Lake-so right back (even used my bought and paid for ULC ministers certificate to marry a couple of good friends on the shore of Mono Lake [but that's another story]! Did allot of contract work too for the FS and Park service in that country-good times were had by all-plus allot of learning!

Like I said earlier in this thread, almost wish I'd have followed MarkBC down 395 when he passed through Susieville on his way south-instead of heading over to the coast at the same time! Maybe we'll make the next trip down to that country with the "gang". Weather here sure is good here right now, thinking about taking a short run over to Eagle Lake late next week-after I post my "touresto" looking photo's from the coast-no fall colors, just water, "Bob" the dog, CG's, sand and some other critters. But no waiters baring bubbly and shrimp-can't win them all!

Smoke

:rolleyes: Frank, I echo those comments-the big rigs always meet in bunches (sort of like lemmings) and usually can't go where we go-but all they got color TV's ! I wonder if they saw any "Basko art " on those fine looking Aspens? Seeing all these threads from that area brings back lot's of good times i had there after I got out of the Army in 1967-worked at the Wagon Wheel in Tahoe for three years before I went back to school at CSC Stanislaus. Spent all of my free time out there exploring! Turned out the group I ran with at Turkey Tec also spent allot of time in the Eastern Sierras around Mono Lake-so right back (even used my bought and paid for ULC ministers certificate to marry a couple of good friends on the shore of Mono Lake [but that's another story]! Did allot of contract work too for the FS and Park service in that country-good times were had by all-plus allot of learning!

Like I said earlier in this thread, almost wish I'd have followed MarkBC down 395 when he passed through Susieville on his way south-instead of heading over to the coast at the same time! Maybe we'll make the next trip down to that country with the "gang". Weather here sure is good here right now, thinking about taking a short run over to Eagle Lake late next week-after I post my "touresto" looking photo's from the coast-no fall colors, just water, "Bob" the dog, CG's, sand and some other critters. But no waiters baring bubbly and shrimp-can't win them all!

Smoke

Smoke,do you fish Eagle Lake? Every time I have been past there over lots of years I am either just passing through and didn't stop for time issues or the wind has been blowing gangbusters.I have always wanted to camp at the western site,the one that looks like it has trees,but have never gotten over there.
Have a good time the weather sure is nice now .May be it will continue and you can get some nice camp days.
I am not a fan of those big rigs,but they do get out into the out of doors and take kids.So I guess it's better than having your nose into a video screen all the time.Watching wildlife on TV vs in the bush.Just saying.Everyone has their own thing.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom