The Superior National Forest

takesiteasy

We did a short trip north to visit the Superior National Forest. A trip report is posted to the blog:

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2019/08/exploring-superior-national-forest.html

IMG_6635.jpg

Loved your trip report and really enjoyed the photos and the tales! Thanks for sharing, sounds like a very nice time. Your canoe looks extremely light weight, how much is it? Also the kayak?

Poky

A real nice report, makes me want to get on up there at some point. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Rico.

Great report! Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing.

I see we use the same pack saw. I have a Wee Rob 12 in lapstrake that I built years ago. Hopefully, one of the grandkids will want it.

PokyBro said:
Loved your trip report and really enjoyed the photos and the tales! Thanks for sharing, sounds like a very nice time. Your canoe looks extremely light weight, how much is it? Also the kayak?

Poky
Wee Lassie is about 22 pounds. The Rob Roy is about 25 pounds. They are awesome boats. Thanks for your comments!

RicoV said:
A real nice report, makes me want to get on up there at some point. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Rico.
Thanks. Yes it's a great part of the world.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Great report! Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing.

I see we use the same pack saw. I have a Wee Rob 12 in lapstrake that I built years ago. Hopefully, one of the grandkids will want it.
Thanks Sage. Yeah, great saw. I think I've seen pics of your boat on here- very nice. The grand kids will love it.

Awesome trip and report. Someday we plan a trip around Lake Superior. Great photos. Felt like I was riding along. There is a spray you can use to keep the mice away from your engine. They love the wires. It's called Rodent Defense. I know people that had several thousand dollars in damage to wiring, seats and firewall.

Thanks for the nice trip report. I need to get up that way either this fall or next and try some grouse hunting. It would a very doable 3 day scouting mission for us.

Smokecreek1 said:
Always nice to see another part of this beautiful country of ours-thanks for taking us along!

Smoke
Smoke, you are welcome. Thanks for your comment!

longhorn1 said:
Awesome trip and report. Someday we plan a trip around Lake Superior. Great photos. Felt like I was riding along. There is a spray you can use to keep the mice away from your engine. They love the wires. It's called Rodent Defense. I know people that had several thousand dollars in damage to wiring, seats and firewall.
Thanks for the tip- I'm going to try that stuff out. We had a bad experience with pack rats in California 5 years ago- $1500 repair to wiring and firewall. This is the first time I've had mice issues. Luckly, little damage this time. Thanks for your comments. You will enjoy Lake Superior. We did the circle route a few years ago- there is a trip report on the blog if you haven't seen it already.

TrapperMike said:
Thanks for the nice trip report. I need to get up that way either this fall or next and try some grouse hunting. It would a very doable 3 day scouting mission for us.
You're welcome. Lots of grouse hunting up there- a hop, skip and a jump for you from Wisconsin. Thanks for your comment!

Wonderful blog read! It is a place we intend to go. A friend of mine makes skin on frame though I have stayed with strip. Incredibly light and nimble...and I have learned to keep hold of them while putting them on a roof as the wind can make them sail away. We also have a screen tent though ours is a heavy one... what's the weight of yours and ease of set up? There is something about the Northern woods, lakes and streams. A hard place to go with the bugs and mud but worth it in the end. Great trip!

Very nice report.
The pace seemed just right!
We have a clam and love it but are having some challenges on how to best carry it.
Do you carry it in your trailer?

Thanks.

You are really bringing back memories of my time - formative years I could say - in my home state of Wisconsin and the north woods. Thank you for a nice glimpse, and such a relaxing trip, in your Minnesota! Well done!

buckland said:
Wonderful blog read! It is a place we intend to go. A friend of mine makes skin on frame though I have stayed with strip. Incredibly light and nimble...and I have learned to keep hold of them while putting them on a roof as the wind can make them sail away. We also have a screen tent though ours is a heavy one... what's the weight of yours and ease of set up? There is something about the Northern woods, lakes and streams. A hard place to go with the bugs and mud but worth it in the end. Great trip!
Buckland, yes, we love the lightweight boats. Not sure what the Clam weighs, maybe 30 pounds? The real advantage is how easy it goes up and comes down- literally less than a minute each way. Thanks for your comments!

smlobx said:
Very nice report.
The pace seemed just right!
We have a clam and love it but are having some challenges on how to best carry it.
Do you carry it in your trailer?

Thanks.
Smlobx, Thanks for your comments! Yes, the Clam is a big package. It does ride in the trailer- just fits lengthwise. It would be tough to carry in the camper. I have thought I could strap it on the roof but I haven't done that yet. We do love it for buggy times.

ski3pin said:
You are really bringing back memories of my time - formative years I could say - in my home state of Wisconsin and the north woods. Thank you for a nice glimpse, and such a relaxing trip, in your Minnesota! Well done!
Ski, glad to bring back some memories and thanks for your comments! The country here couldn't be much more different from where you are usually hanging out- it's kind of the anti-desert. You and the Lady will have to make a journey out here sometime.

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences in MN. Your details are amazing and comprehensive. MN is a annual fishing destination for myself, my wife and Paige (our golden retriever). Love the clam bug enclosure! MN. mosquitoes are voracious in the shade. The canoe and kayak construction is impressive as well. We are taking delivery of a new Grandby this week. It will be our base camp for MN fishing adventures. Great read!
Wayne

WjColdWater said:
Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences in MN. Your details are amazing and comprehensive. MN is a annual fishing destination for myself, my wife and Paige (our golden retriever). Love the clam bug enclosure! MN. mosquitoes are voracious in the shade. The canoe and kayak construction is impressive as well. We are taking delivery of a new Grandby this week. It will be our base camp for MN fishing adventures. Great read!
Wayne
Congrats on your new camper! Thanks for your nice comments on the blog.

I like the way that you really add tons of photos because sometimes some travel bloggers would just explain their experience and sometime sit is hard to imagine what the writer is telling. Hoping to see more photos in your next review!

theone said:
I like the way that you really add tons of photos because sometimes some travel bloggers would just explain their experience and sometime sit is hard to imagine what the writer is telling. Hoping to see more photos in your next review!
Thanks for your nice comment. I like seeing photos too!

Wondering what materials are used in your kayak and canoe? The covering and wood frame?

Back
Top Bottom