The Trek for Turkey

craig333 said:
Consider a spare. I have a backup plan in case I can't make coffee the normal way.
A ZipLock bag with a dozen Folgers coffee bags is my backup for emergencies, in case I run out of Major Dickasons blend, filters or misplace the Melitta filter cone. :p Gotta be a real emergency, though.

Paul

Hi all! Made it to Kansas! I have some lovely photos that I can't post. Silly technology. No snow so far, except some leftover still on side of the roadways. Luckily, I'm headed to southern Illinois, so hopefully will avoid snow. I don't have chains, but burly tires, four-wheel drive, and a teen-agers sense of responsibility.
I once drove through a blizzard, past many sidelined cars, in a 30 year old Volvo sedan with questionable brakes.

Good ideas on bringing backup for coffee!

Looking forward to the photos. I am not a coffee drinker but still pack "back up" coffee for my co-travelers. Mainly because I have seen what they look like in the morning with out coffee and lets just say that is something I rather avoid.

Kolockum said:
Looking forward to the photos. I am not a coffee drinker but still pack "back up" coffee for my co-travelers. Mainly because I have seen what they look like in the morning with out coffee and lets just say that is something I rather avoid.
Lol

I forgot that with an iPad, if you go elsewhere, you lose anything unsaved in the current window. Bother.

Pugsly and I made it safely to lovely Carbondale, IL! I have photos and will post more and some tales later! In the meantime, here's a photo of me parked at the folks' house.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1448321578.156236.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Hey Hoyden, did you grow up in southen il. ? Did you ever go riding in Shawnee NP? Use to be a great place to ride dirt bikes. Mitch

mitch h said:
Hey Hoyden, did you grow up in southen il. ? Did you ever go riding in Shawnee NP? Use to be a great place to ride dirt bikes. Mitch
I did - but when I started riding motorized bikes, it was all street. I'm hoping to bring my DR200 out here this coming Spring and/or Summer for some playtime. I did a lot of camping and hiking in the Shawnee tho!

It's been a long time since I did a trip like this. The funny thing is, when I was younger and people would marvel at me driving cross country - alone! (gasp!) they'd think it was some great feat. But really, you just get in the car and go. And when you are hungry, you stop for food. And when you are tired, you find a motel and sleep.

Driving half-way 'cross the U.S. in a camper is a little different. I found it to be wonderful to have my 'home' on my back, but more difficult for the "when you are tired..." part of the equation. Unlike driving to a motel, I wanted to stop before it got dark so I could set up and also see my surroundings. During winter, that's pretty darn early. It gets dark around 5:30 or 6:00pm! (that's 17:30 or 18:00 to yous weirdo 24 hr clock people)

But I digress. To start at the beginning....

Pugsly is a not-terribly spry 11 year old pug. She's typical of the breed - super sweet and sheds like four Great Danes (now someone will chime in that Great Danes don't actually shed very much. Kinda like when you say that someone "eats like a bird" meaning that they don't eat much, but in reality birds are pigs. I don't mean that birds wallow in mud, are terribly smart and have curly que tails. They eat constantly and a lot!)

She helped me pack. And by "helped me" I mean smell-tested everything I put in a box to see if it might be edible.

IMAG7322.jpg

The first night was just about three hours. I wanted to leave after work Friday and give myself a little bit of breathing room for the rest of the trip. It worked - today (Monday) was just five hours!

Even though I sent my mom my "This is my final map for the trip, please check it out" map, apparently she didn't check it out because it wasn't until Saturday that she said "KOA?! That's like the Wal-Mart of campsites. You probably would have been better off staying in a Wal-Mart lot, actually." Thanks for the advice, mom. Now I know.

IMAG7329.jpg

The KOA didn't look too bad at 9:30 on a Friday night. I got parked and set up. It wasn't until I tried to sleep that I realized that what seemed to be "far enough" distance of the highway...wasn't. Noisy.

I had a terrible night sleep, but I did find my little French Press hiding where I'd smartly stored it - in the sink. Of course.

received_10207020554186631.jpeg

Pugsly isn't very good at sharing the driving duties, and she isn't much of a conversationalist.

IMAG7340.jpg

Love me some plains! (Pugsly took this photo. She's good for that. I swear.)

IMAG7343.jpg

Not a great pic, from a small town stop-sign Main Street, but one of the things that I love about road trips is seeing the towns along the way. It's so easy to get tunnel vision where you live and forget that these odd places exist. A lot of these little towns I drove though in Oklahoma and Kansas were terribly depressed. Main Street store windows broken out, empty and forlorn buildings that once housed businesses. What happened? What do the residents do now?

IMAG7345.jpg

My third night was a start reminder of the fears of being a solo female on the road. The plan was to camp at Cimarron National Grassland, near Elkhart, KS. I drove out to the campsite - drive a few miles out of town, turn left onto state route some number for a few miles, turn right onto a gravel road for five miles and turn left into the camping area. It was lovely. Nested in a grove of Cottonwood trees, right next to a small lake, it was terribly picturesque. The sun was in its final decent and I was feeling rushed, so I didn't get a photo. There was one other camper there. A solo beat-up '80's pick-up truck, a pop-up trailer tent camper, a few camping items on the wooden site table and a single camouflage chair.

It would have been fine, I'm sure. But I was road-weary, and didn't favor the idea of being in the middle of nowhere with one other person only. So, I turned around.

I went back to the small town and found a paved 'rv park' off the Main Street / highway. I looked like all I would have would be the nighttime two-lane highway sounds, so I set up. Unbeknownst to me, there seemed to be some kind of factory hidden behind a benign tree stand across the road. It was noisy until at least 11pm, when I finally fell asleep. Luckily for me, the safety street light was quite bright.... Needless to say, another night of lousy sleep. But damn, love the plains on the other side of my campsite.

IMAG7348.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot to mention my port-a-potty woes!
Apparently, the instructions to fill up the top part with water, fail to mention the copious amount of spillage you will have once underway, no matter how securely you affix the water cap. It doesn't screw on, mind you, it just 'fits' on top of the spout. Luckily, like any good geek, I don't go anywhere without my towel. It helped me sop up the spilled water (just water!) I re-secured (I'm doing air quotes now) the cap and went on my merry way. Next gas stop I checked it and water everywhere. What's the definition of insanity? Yeah, well, not again. I dumped the water out! Grrr.

On to Sunday! Pugsly is not much of a morning dog (more of that on Monday), and since I forgot to bring my travel coffee mug(!), we had to stop for gas station coffee. She's a bit of a coffee snob and wasn't too pleased.

IMAG7352.jpg

Sunday brought us to lovely Emma, Missouri.
Yet again, I struggled with "in the middle of nowhere alone but with a solo truck near me" issue. This time, I said "**** it" and stayed. It's hunting season, and this one had the markings of a hunter, so I figured he'd leave around dark anyway. It was just a truck, no camping gear.

And what a beautiful spot it was.

IMAG7355.jpg

I took a bunch of photos before closing up for the night.

IMAG7364.jpg

My sunset view through my Fleet window:

IMAG7371.jpg

That night, I listened to the coyotes howl in the forest. There must have been a family off to the West of me because while I heard a lone howl to the north, there was a whole jabber of replies. It sounded like angry quail. And terribly cute. Have you seen that video of puppies learning to howl? It reminded me of that. Except I don't think these pups would let me pet and cuddle them.

The red Tundra from the night left, as I'd predicted, just after sundown. I was awakened by a new truck pulling in and parking around 05:00. I lay still, listening. After hearing two men amicably chatting, I sat up and went to take a peek. I forgot how loud velcro is. I pulled up a few inches of my thermal pack window cover and scared the bejesus out of one of the guys. I heard him chuckle and say "that scared the **** out of me!" I smiled to myself and got up to make coffee.

By the time I had my coffee, breakfast, and got dressed, the hunters were gone. It was time to get on the road. This beautiful pre-Dawn greeted me when I clambered out of the camper.

IMAG7376.jpg

Monday, and Pugsly was none to happy about the lack of portable coffee.

IMG_20151123_170109.jpg

She's a bit of a drama queen.

After navigating through Kansas City, and St. Louis, I was reminded of how glad I am that I don't live in a bigger city anymore. There are things that I certainly miss (culture, variety of restaurants, people watching, museums... crap. I miss living in a bigger city)
I crossed over the Mighty Missip and was clearly getting closer to home.

IMAG7381.jpg

We made it in good time, parked in my folks' Carbondale, Illinois home just in time for lunch today!
It's a perfect mid-west Fall crisp and cool and fallen leaves to run through.

IMAG7382.jpg

Things I've discovered:

1) I already knew that I am a messy cook but i forgot to bring decent clean up stuff. (I'm a "clean as I go" person)

2) I quite like having running water. (didn't fill my water tank for fear of freezing. I don't care now - I'm filling it for the drive back)

3) Pugsly is good camper companion but I'd feel safer with a bigger dog. Alyosha was a great guard dog (R.I.P.)

4) I need better containers for my clothes.

5) need a fridge thermometer cuz I'm paranoid of my mayonnaise.

6) port-a-potty isn't as simple as it looks.

7) find the 3M hooks and put up so have a place for my coat.

8) need better containers for kitchen stuff

On that note, I need a good nights sleep, so au revoir and sleep well!

Thanks!
I'm hoping to take a different route home - perhaps south through Arkansas? Will work that out this week....

Nice report. What type of porta potti do you have. We have the Thetford Curve and the water tank has a screw on cap. Never had an issue with water leaking. jd

I enjoyed your report. We can relate to the early darkness problem of winter road trips. It's hard to find good campsites in unfamiliar territory after dark. There are some apps for your phone that list campgrounds- you might check into one of those. Someone else here will have a link- I don't. We also love being off the highways and seeing the small towns. Some are livelier than others. I always have the same questions- where did the people go and what do the ones left do for a living? Glad you had a good trip.

longhorn1 said:
Nice report. What type of porta potti do you have. We have the Thetford Curve and the water tank has a screw on cap. Never had an issue with water leaking. jd
It's like this one (not sure if this exact model, but looks the same)

http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-92859-Porta-Portable-Toilet/dp/B0074C8ACM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448381203&sr=8-6&keywords=porta-potti

I'll check out the Curve. This one? http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-92360-Porta-Portable-Toilet/dp/B006WPQNB2/ref=pd_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A8gRW6coL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR133%2C160_&refRID=0KSB3N3ZPR77PG5K5Q6Z

takesiteasy said:
I enjoyed your report. We can relate to the early darkness problem of winter road trips. It's hard to find good campsites in unfamiliar territory after dark. There are some apps for your phone that list campgrounds- you might check into one of those. Someone else here will have a link- I don't. We also love being off the highways and seeing the small towns. Some are livelier than others. I always have the same questions- where did the people go and what do the ones left do for a living? Glad you had a good trip.
I have some apps, but they seem to be for off-main-highway campgrounds. I'm hoping for more ... quiet... boondocking places.
I'll see if there are apps for that (There's an app for that!)

Thanks!

Enjoyed your report. There is a app for that (finding campgrounds). AllStays.com We did not have on our first big trip and stayed at some bad walmarts. This year we drove over 8,000 miles and never hit a walmart of KOA. Well worth the $9.99 for the iphone. You would enjoy doing a blog for your trips. Googles blogger does have an app for a tablet that works well.

Note on a single woman traveling alone. Another single woman on WTW once posted she puts out a old used pair of size 12 boots next to a large dog bowl. Anyone walking by will take note.

Bill

​Finding good camping spots can be tricky when you are "on the road" and we found getting the Good Sam app (and card which gets you 10%? off on certain campgrounds) to be a good source of info esp. when you aren't familiar with an area and need something quickly near where you are. You get a discount too at a few gas stations.

Nice write-up! Good campsites and short winter daylight hours do make for a challenging combination. I've tried to plan as much in advance as possible and will get an alpine start at 4 or 4:30 if it means I can get to a campsite with some daylight left.

Fun reading your trip notes. I shared it with my mom, single and very active, camper too but she only goes with us none of her girlfriends camp.

Just a thought put one of these on the back of your fwc. http://www.cafepress.com/mf/8064767/doberman-on-duty-rectangle_sticker?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=26939072--t-9032021&utm_source=pla-google&utm_campaign=207320410&utm_content=16932179170&productId=26939072

I have a Dobie hes a total leaner, wuss but no one knows the breed and everyone thinks of Hollywood killer dog and avoids you like you have horns coming out of your head and giant fangs. LOL Just tell Pugsly a big dog bark occasionally is OK. Have a safe trip.

The Thetford you have looks like the one I have, and I've never had a problem with water sloshing out. It uses a screw-on cap, so it sounds like they changed the design. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving, and a good trip back.

hoyden said:
Yes, that one. I believe it is the same height as a normal home toilet. The water fill is a screw in cap. I have a front dinette Grandby. I had FWC leave the cabinet door off, and I cut the face plate off in the center to allow sliding the porta potti in and cover it with a curtain. Our blog has a photo, in the Camper Modification Page. jd

Back
Top Bottom