The Trek for Turkey

Thank you! It was my first trip with the FWC and a great success.

The first night out, I was nervous but by the end of the trip I started to have a system down.

Things I learned and things I want to work on:

- I want to figure out a better way to organize my kitchen stuff - right now the pot and pan and spatula etc are in an open box. I'm thinking of some kind of small portable shelving unit about the same size as the little box, but with shelves and maybe a drawer.

- There is *very little* storage in the Fleet, so I also want to find a better way to bring along clothing.

- Pugsly tends to make a bit of a mess while eating and drinking water, so some better mat or pan situation under her food and water dishes.

- Considering changing out the porta-potty for a taller one that was recommended by longhorn1. Need to measure.

- Don't forget to turn off the furnace in the morning!

- Not every place will be as level as the places I found. Learn how to use the levelers.

- Water. Apparently, Pugsly and I spill water fairly often. Need a 'quick clean' cloth. And some better way to clean the floor.
It gets crunchy quickly.

- The bed is pretty comfortable, but still a bit hard. I think a thin memory foam topper would make it better.

- Bring better quality food stuffs. Like spinach and salad materials. Having eggs and coffee for breakfast, kettle corn and iced tea for lunch, and angel hair pasta with parmesean for dinner is not acceptable. Too many yellowy foods there.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great trip and like all good trip reports has me itching to hit the road!

Nice. I remember my first time out with our camper. You'll get the routine (or make a list). Arrive: open the latches on the roof before attempting to push it up. I haven't done that but others have bent the roof a little. Open propane tank, light refrigerator, etc., etc.

Great trip and we've done a few long trips in our camper (10 state trip this last year through similar area as you). If you get a chance and haven't near Custer SP, Rushmore, Badlands, etc. that was awesome. We'll stay in some organized campground every once in a while to get a shower, etc.

Enjoyed your virtual Turkey trot.

Great report. Looks like you are settling in well with the camper. Half the fun of the camper is doing little mods to it to make it work just right for you. I agree with your comment on food. We appreciate our fridge so we can bring fresh veggies and other treats. We try to eat pretty much the same on the road as at home with occasional stops at local eateries to sample local food and culture. And we all probably agree that we would rather be out there somewhere popping the top.

Thanks all!

Yesterday, I was telling a friend about my trip and showing pictures and realized how differently I framed my adventure to them vs. how I described it here. We do that a lot day-to-day: change our telling depending on the audience. There were details I left out here - like the amber "egg" my folks brought back from a recent trip to Istanbul. From the Grand Bazaar! What a great name!

IMAG7545.jpg

and, since they are also dog people, I showed more photos of doggie-related activities and this cute one of Pugsly

IMAG7492.jpg

I also focused more on the ice-y weather conditions and the horrible downpour that I encountered on the drive back. Perhaps it added drama to the in-person retelling?

Anyway... planning on a New Years Eve Weekend camping trip somewhere souther Arizona.
Or maybe up to Arches :)
I imagine in the winter Arches National Park is probably pretty quiet of people.

hoyden said:
Thanks all!

Yesterday, I was telling a friend about my trip and showing pictures and realized how differently I framed my adventure to them vs. how I described it here. We do that a lot day-to-day: change our telling depending on the audience. There were details I left out here - like the amber "egg" my folks brought back from a recent trip to Istanbul. From the Grand Bazaar! What a great name!

IMAG7545.jpg

and, since they are also dog people, I showed more photos of doggie-related activities and this cute one of Pugsly

IMAG7492.jpg

I also focused more on the ice-y weather conditions and the horrible downpour that I encountered on the drive back. Perhaps it added drama to the in-person retelling?

Anyway... planning on a New Years Eve Weekend camping trip somewhere souther Arizona.
Or maybe up to Arches :)
I imagine in the winter Arches National Park is probably pretty quiet of people.
If you are going to Arches, you should hit Zion too. Utah has a lot of great Nat. Parks; get a yearly pass it'll save you money!

kmcintyre said:
If you are going to Arches, you should hit Zion too. Utah has a lot of great Nat. Parks; get a yearly pass it'll save you money!
I have a yearly pass! I wanna go Canyonlands too!
ooh, Bryce - good thinkin'!

I wonder if I can take a sabbatical at work.... ? :D

hoyden said:
I wonder if I can take a sabbatical at work.... ? :D

If you figure out the trick please let me know :)

All of those area are prone to some extreme cold in the winter. Bryce is at 8000-9000ft. and depending on the length of the trip I wouldn't try and do Bryce/Zion/Arches/Canyonlands in one shot. Indian Creek outside the Needles District is a bit lower in elevation, has lots of dispersed camping and there are plenty of day hikes in that section of Canyonlands but not much in the way of paved roads.

Cochise Stronghold area would probably see a bit better weather and save Utah for the springtime when the weather is a bit more dependable and the cacti will be in bloom.

Cayuse said:
If you figure out the trick please let me know :)

All of those area are prone to some extreme cold in the winter. Bryce is at 8000-9000ft. and depending on the length of the trip I wouldn't try and do Bryce/Zion/Arches/Canyonlands in one shot. Indian Creek outside the Needles District is a bit lower in elevation, has lots of dispersed camping and there are plenty of day hikes in that section of Canyonlands but not much in the way of paved roads.

Cochise Stronghold area would probably see a bit better weather and save Utah for the springtime when the weather is a bit more dependable and the cacti will be in bloom.
Ha! Will do!
If I can find a remote IT job....

I didn't realize Bryce was so high! Yeah, that will hafta wait til warmer weather.
Thanks for the info! I like the idea of the Indian Creek and hiking in Canyonlands! My truck can handle "not much in the way of paved roads" - I do worry about running out of gas tho.

If your near a REI try renting a sleeping pad for the next trip and place it under the stock pad. I found that the firmer air mat under the foam pad added just the right pad stiffness to keep hips amd such off the hard plywood. The foam topper from costco was nice but it goes flat and you still find your self on the hard plywood. The self inflatble rei pads come in different thicknesses and you can adjust the air pressure to your tastes. Thats been the best results for us so far

CALIcamperdad said:
If your near a REI try renting a sleeping pad for the next trip and place it under the stock pad. I found that the firmer air mat under the foam pad added just the right pad stiffness to keep hips amd such off the hard plywood. The foam topper from costco was nice but it goes flat and you still find your self on the hard plywood. The self inflatble rei pads come in different thicknesses and you can adjust the air pressure to your tastes. Thats been the best results for us so far
interesting. I do have a self-inflatable pad for tent camping. It's narrow, but I'll give it a shot and see how well it works. I can always get a wider one!

I don't think I'd Trek for Turkey if I had access to oysters like that! I hope they were as good as they looked.

Back
Top Bottom