The Wildlife Photography Thread

Presenting... the Cattail Crooner...

13884449101_e36b606270_c.jpg

Sagebrush has been putting up some spectacular bird photos!

We visited Sierra Valley last weekend for a quick two-nighter. There weren't may raptors and other migrating birds were also not so present. However, we did get a nice close look at a pair of Sandhill Cranes.

And a first for me: a Bittern

The yellow-headed BB's were present.

We did a short loop drive up to Davis Lake and back down Red Clover / Genesee Valley, which was beautiful country.
There were four osprey at the lake, with a chick in the nest.

They must have ordered takeout :p

Great shots! Love the osprey with a fish. Great crane photos too- all the pics are excellent. Thanks for posting them.

It's raining, and I am wanting a trip to the east side of the Cascades, so I am in the archives looking for shots that I have not previousl published. Here's one from last year's fall visit.

Pygmy Nuthatch (Sitta pygmaea)

13916571111_b2662065b4_c.jpg

Wildlife...and death.

Rattler&Rat-1.jpg

Rattler&Rat-2.jpg

I saw and marveled at (and photographed) this scene today as I did a short hike in the Cottonwood Canyon Narrows, Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument.
It would have been even cooler if I'd discovered it myself...but a couple other hikers coming down-canyon told me "rattlesnake eating a pack rat right in the middle of the wash -- just around the corner!!"

I'm pretty sure I've never seen -- in person, in the wild -- a rattlesnake -- or any snake -- in the process of swallowing prey.
Damn, it was cool! And the fact that it was a rattlesnake makes it more cool -- I like snakes!
I'm not sure that he was going to succeed with his swallowing task -- I left when it seemed I was disturbing him (and after I'd taken enough pics ;) )

I agree, that is cool. The snake certainly does have a challenge ahead of him. Glad to see you are still out there having a good time.

Back
Top Bottom