The Winter Solstice Trip, Southern Nevada - December 2023

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Julie and I discovered we had an opportunity to travel, so we did. We wanted to celebrate the Winter Solstice and we felt up to the task. This will, again, be a multi part story. All parts are now completed and posted to our blog.

The Winter Solstice Trip, Southern Nevada - December 2023 - Part One

The Winter Solstice Trip, Southern Nevada - December 2023 - Part Two

The Winter Solstice Trip, Southern Nevada - December 2023 - Part Three

The Winter Solstice Trip, Southern Nevada - December 2023 - Part Four

We hope you enjoy coming along on the adventure with us! :)

Very interesting start to another great trip.
The Aztec sandstone sure is nicely eroded.

And some nice rock art.The "new" illegal art added
sure was made to look like old style.
Why do people do that ?
Thanks.
Frank

Great report about a very fun exploration. Death Valley at this time of year is lovely and, as you found, quiet. I am a huge fan of Myron Cook geology videos. Easy to follow and very clear in a non-patronizing style.

No fan of driving through Vegas, even just to get to the other side.

A fun and possibly true explanation for the round balls you found are that small grains are rolled back and forth in the waves of ancient shorelines as the grains slowly accumulate a cemented rind of calcite. They end up as drifts of roundish sandstone balls. The same thing may occur in limestones as well (we found some in DV's Cottonwood Canyon several years ago.)

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Looking forward to episode 2.

(I am not going to respond to the modern graffiti of fake petroglyphs because a red haze blocks my vision when I think about it.)

I’m having a difficult time getting all the photos to load, so didn’t get to be jealous towards all of them, but rest assured the jealousy is there for those I could see. Superb TR (the part that loaded), and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to tag along. BTW, I believe the load issue is on my end.

Thanks for the vicarious journey, and hurry up with part two :)

Neato part one report! We wonder if the "interesting shapes in the sandstone that I’m curious as to how they form" are tufa like the caves near Grimes Point, Nevada. But I ain't no geologist and can't even play rock music.

I can think of only one excuse for new petroglyphs. If Native Americans are experiencing their culture, it can make sense.

That video on the old rocks on top of new rocks is fascinating.

Geology hint for part 2: You two were wandering around on the extreme western edge of the Colorado Plateau (think layer cake geology like in Grand Canyon) at or very near where the Basin and Range geologic province begins. Imagine the west end of the 3 day old lovely layer cake falling off the edge of its' serving platter and spilling onto someone's plate filled with fresh from the oven sliced turkey and mashed potatoes covered in hot gravy.

AWG_Pics said:
Geology hint for part 2: You two were wandering around on the extreme western edge of the Colorado Plateau (think layer cake geology like in Grand Canyon) at or very near where the Basin and Range geologic province begins. Imagine the west end of the 3 day old lovely layer cake falling off the edge of its' serving platter and spilling onto someone's plate filled with fresh from the oven sliced turkey and mashed potatoes covered in hot gravy.
What a great description.
Frank

We first visited Gold Butte last spring. Fell in love with it. Thanks for taking us back to the best of it!

That's a great campsite at GB. Thanks for the memory bump. Looks like a great trip and excellent photos, you're really working that low angle light around the Solstice. Cheers -

I’m still having trouble getting all the photos to display, but power cycling the iPad has it minimized. More memory may be needed.

Wow, a great trip in beautiful country, it’s time for The Boss of Me (and me) to make another trip into the area. I didn’t recognize the fossil canids footprints, but the camel and bird prints were wonderful. Thanks so much for letting us tag along!

Your Gold Butte spot is one of our favorites! We have always called it "Mouse Site" because of an industrious kangaroo mouse scurrying under our chairs and over our feet the first time we camped there.
Thanks for the great report and all best wishes for 2024!

CraggyMan said:
That's a great campsite at GB. Thanks for the memory bump. Looks like a great trip and excellent photos, you're really working that low angle light around the Solstice. Cheers -
"It's the most wonderful time of the year!" :)

Jim, thank you for the nice comment!.

thx monte.
excellent pictures, and great exploring
hope you continue recovering from whatever you needed to have done.

greg

You had me at "Chaos Canyon". Great looking rocks over there! I like Tony's explanation and I am also a big fan of Myron Cook's videos.

Foy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom