Thoughts wanted: How to use this space

brett13

Lovecock
I'm curious if any of the clever minds here have figured out how to use this space between the camper and the bed. Could be a great place to store chairs, firewood, shovel, etc, but I'm worried about it bouncing out the back. Anyone come up with a solution? I have about 4.25" between the edge of the bed. Varies a little because the camper does shift a bit.
DSC02159e.jpg

DSC02160e copy copy.jpg

I wish I had that space on mine (compact truck)

I would use it for drainwater hose, tiki lights, or extension cord. nothing too expensive.

Brettster,
I keep a colapsable rake, my shovel, axe, awning poles and fire wood in there. I usually bungie everything together somehow and it stays put. When you camp on BLM land its always nice to have a way to rake the cow pies out of the camp.

I was hoping to find a way to put a hatch or door over the opening that could hold everything in place. But bungying (sp?) everything together seems like it would work. I'd really like to find a way to keep a bunch of firewood back there. We usually fill a large bin with as much as it will hold, but extra bundles often need to go somewhere and they leave so much dirt inside.

Hi brett13,

I think we had both the same idea, at the same time. My post "additional storage space" is exactly about the same area of the truck. My idea is to make it accessible from the inside. Let's see what we can come up with in the next few days.

Hi brett13,

I think we had both the same idea, at the same time. My post "additional storage space" is exactly about the same area of the truck. My idea is to make it accessible from the inside. Let's see what we can come up with in the next few days.

I guess we did, dummy I am hadn't considered it that way. I was just thinking of a way to access it from the outside only and keep things from falling out. I suppose we could rig some sort of door or hinged wing to the camper to hold things back. The hinge could 'unlock' so that the door would allow access. Then I could stack it with firewood, chairs, shovel, etc.

Brett, I've seen other brands of campers with small doors in that area. I couldn't find a good picture on the web. You could add small doors that are attached with hinges to the camper surface and perhaps a latch on the outer top edge. You wouldn't want them to be too tight a fit just in case you get some shifting. This phoenix camper has those doors but you can hardly tell...

Attachments

• 14_big.jpg
    14_big.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 501
There is a company in Florida called Roamer that makes fiberglass non-pop up TCs and they also made boxes and doors for the outside of pickups to access both the bed spaces AND the wasted space between the fenders and bed (I kept the oil drain pan bungeed up in there when I was full-timing so I didn't have to keep wiping it down after I used it). They called them 'Saddlebags' but I don't see them on the site anymore.

usable storage space,works for me

eagle camper on 2002 tacoma.what i use turnbuckle areas for. first extra t.p. goes into ziplocs ,tow chain in bag then ziplocs.quarts of oil in ziplocs,pocket books into ziplocs,spare fan belts,small propane bottles ,you get the picture what ever fits. also on each panel that lifts up i keep a list of what is in that compartment,also a master list so when i forget which compartment item is in it reminds me ,also as i use items on list i make a note to replace before next trip,and no i have never had a oil container bust open!on a tacoma with eagle there is only approx 1 inch on each side at the tailgate area, which i put a piece of painted plywood screwed to side of camper,no complaints on storage space as i started with shell knowing that a complete camper has much wasted space,thats why i have a fwc basic and does the job! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Good morning,
I wrestled with the same problem with my 02 Tundra, after keeping a FWC Eagle that was originally on a Tacoma. I decided to enlarge the rear pasenger side turnbuckle access hole under the bottom bed. I now can fit alot of stuff between the camper and the bed wall. I have not had any problems. Of course, do not make it too big. Since I redirected the water drain to the side of the camper to allow it sit on the bed (instead of on 2x4s to allow the original drain valve to clear the top of the bed wall), it sits lower,fits snug,looks better, and everything stays dry. In addition anything I put in there is far enough forward so it can not fall out, or be within reach of someone wanting to "borrow."
Of course you have to lift the seat to gain entry to the enlarged hole.
jr

a friend of mine had a different camper, can't remember the name, i'll see if i can dig a picture up. he used this space for skis and poles and a hi lift...worked awesome and really wasn't an issue as far as things falling out...think he had a rubber mat or something in there to increase friction...JDR, how bout' some pics of you storage space?

I'm curious if any of the clever minds here have figured out how to use this space between the camper and the bed. Could be a great place to store chairs, firewood, shovel, etc, but I'm worried about it bouncing out the back. Anyone come up with a solution? I have about 4.25" between the edge of the bed. Varies a little because the camper does shift a bit.

Perhaps something like this, on a smaller scale?
normal_NL%20Camper%2003.jpg

normal_NL%20Camper02.jpg

Cheers
Mark

thats cool! creative use of space, i would be worried about riding with the camper that high however...

I have a couple of modified milk crates that I slide into the forward area of the truck bed before installing the camper. They fit in there snug and keep alot of the afore mentioned items in place. I think one of the crates is actually a soda bottle carrier..whatever works. The wheel wells keep it forward, and my rubber mat keeps it in place(mostly:D ).

On my old set up (t-100 and mid 80's fleet model) I had pieces of wood cut out and notched that fit in behind all the tailgate hardware, with a sliding lockable door hinge giong to a hole drilled in the camper. it worked well. But, that camper was through boltet to the truck so it didn't move around (much:D )...A very useful area!!!

Hi Brett,
How hard is the tailgate to remove on the new Tundra?

Easy. Takes 10 seconds. Tilt at about 30 degrees, take off the right side. Unhook cable. Then slide out the left side. Unhook cable. Done. No tools, one person job; tg weighs about 55#. Takes me an extra few secs to hook or unhook the backup cam.

Tilt at about 30 degrees, take off the right side. Unhook cable. Then slide out the left side. Unhook cable.
[MikeSmartAss]
According to the 2007 Tundra Owners Manual, page 37, unhook cables first, then tilt tailgate 45 degrees.
[/EndMikeSmartAss] :p ;) :D :eek:

Mike

[MikeSmartAss]
According to the 2007 Tundra Owners Manual, page 37, unhook cables first, then tilt tailgate 45 degrees.
[/EndMikeSmartAss]

Mike
Manual?! What manual? :confused: Oh, right. That thing...

Must be the big 5.7L engine on a std bed that requires unhooking the cables last:D ;)

-Wiseass Brett

Tailgate removal

:D Shucks, I used to live in a part of the country that you would just cut the darn cables, leave the gate hangen, drive down that thar dirt road for a ways and befor ya know it, no more problem.

Of course a few beers would always be involved in such a project.:D

Back
Top Bottom