Tick Caused Allergy

Y’all can add me to that “hate” list.
I liked all the comments about avoiding tick bites with no mention on how to best do that. What do yo all do to prevent ticks. I have heard to wear light colored clothing so you can see them. Also clothing with bug repellent (permethrin?) I had some low top gaiters that I used to wear doing yard work but I think it is worn off by now. Most of mine has been to prevent chiggers so I might have them confused. I really don’t like bug spray, especially DET and even more so when I have to sleep in the camper.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for sharing

I don' t think anyone likes ticks. Even the scientists who study them are creeped out. Mostly I try and stay out of the grassy/brushy areas during tick season. The dog takes tick medicine but that just means they crawl off him and onto me /shudder

JWL said:
Y’all can add me to that “hate” list.
I liked all the comments about avoiding tick bites with no mention on how to best do that. What do yo all do to prevent ticks. I have heard to wear light colored clothing so you can see them. Also clothing with bug repellent (permethrin?) I had some low top gaiters that I used to wear doing yard work but I think it is worn off by now. Most of mine has been to prevent chiggers so I might have them confused. I really don’t like bug spray, especially DET and even more so when I have to sleep in the camper.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for sharing
At the end of the day Julie and I do a thorough tick check on each other. We also need to get in the habit of brushing and shaking off our clothes before we climb back into the camper, hats too. The cabover section becomes a catch all for clothes. Twice on the last trip we discovered a tick in our bedding - most likely crawled off of clothes we put up there. That's something that will shake up your night. We've added a small battery powered vacuum that will easily suck up insects - flies, ticks, mosquitoes, etc. inside the camper.

Back here in Wisconsin we spray our pant legs and boots with Permitherin and that has really cut down the tick count. I really believe that one should check for ticks every night to minimize the contact time and their ability to transfer the nasties.
When I say every night I mean EVERY night. Those little buggers can be in your yard as well as the woods.
On the flip side they will not stop me from enjoying the out of doors, Bigfoot Dave

Ticks.. We got ticks... this has been the worst summer yet. Strange as ...we have been here 31 years at 1,500 ft elevation in the NE. Never saw a tick until six years ago and it has been an exponential arrival. This summer we'd easily (she's a white haired dog) found 6 a day on the dog and a couple on us. That said the dog has the once a month pill that kills then within 24 hours.

So I treat my select clothes (3 pair socks and three pants) once every six weeks with Sawyer Permitherin (same stuff as what is used in the LL Bean clothes line called Bugoff).,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CD9NFB4?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_6&amp=&crid=13WYSVUBQIT9J&amp=&sprefix=sawyer

But we also use the Picaridin (by Sawyer) as an insect spray... great for all biting flying bugs and ticks. No smell. Put on boots and hat! works for 12 hours. I used to use deet... stuff works great but I hate it ...melts plastic, stinks, and is not healthy. Picaridin is plant derived.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP5762-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B07BSN7FHH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=13WYSVUBQIT9J&keywords=sawyer+picaridin+insect+repellent&qid=1690842277&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-4

I use Permethrin on my pants and boots, including an inch or so on the inside bottom of legs. Spray can says 'Do Not Apply To Skin'.
I use Picaridin or DEET on the rest of my body, depending on what I have with me. I hate the feel of DEET but it works best for Northern Minnesota skeets.
I use Off Skintastic sunscreen with DEET lotion for face and neck. It is more tolerable than spraying my face with DEET.
I also carry a tick removal tool; I've found a few ticks that have already started to attach when inspecting at end of day.

buckland said:
Ticks.. We got ticks... this has been the worst summer yet. Strange as ...we have been here 31 years at 1,500 ft elevation in the NE. Never saw a tick until six years ago and it has been an exponential arrival. This summer we'd easily (she's a white haired dog) found 6 a day on the dog and a couple on us. That said the dog has the once a month pill that kills then within 24 hours.

So I treat my select clothes (3 pair socks and three pants) once every six weeks with Sawyer Permitherin (same stuff as what is used in the LL Bean clothes line called Bugoff).,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CD9NFB4?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_6&amp=&crid=13WYSVUBQIT9J&amp=&sprefix=sawyer

But we also use the Picaridin (by Sawyer) as an insect spray... great for all biting flying bugs and ticks. No smell. Put on boots and hat! works for 12 hours. I used to use deet... stuff works great but I hate it ...melts plastic, stinks, and is not healthy. Picaridin is plant derived.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP5762-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B07BSN7FHH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=13WYSVUBQIT9J&keywords=sawyer+picaridin+insect+repellent&qid=1690842277&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-4
I use the Sawyer on my hiking clothes. I find it interesting that I can buy that stuff but the LL Bean BugOff clothing cannot be shipped to California.

I bet it has to do with concentration levels. Bug off cloths last for years. The spray needs to be applied every 6 weeks

Back
Top Bottom