Tie Down Access Doors

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member
The little doors in the floor pack to access the tie downs, do they seal at all, or are they simply trusting the amount of overhang from the camper itself to keep the elements out?

They have a thin bit of weather stripping tape that "seals" the doors against the walls when they are closed. The door hinges are spring loaded, but there are no latches. I think the assumption is that the overhang and bed walls are the primary protection from the elements.

-Scott

Ghettofab75 said:
Thanks! Thats kinda what I thought of looking at what pics I can find.

I thought about using something like this on my build: https://www.amazon.com/smartmarine-Hatch-Cover-Inspection-Detachable/dp/B09W8ZFFL5?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=AD97NREOBV1D1&th=1&psc=1

It would have to mount from the inside to work, but they are inexpensive and sealable. No one would really see the outside either when its in the truck.
I have used deck plates many times for numerous applications including camper tie down access. They work well and provide a watertight seal., just make sure you get large enough openings to allow your arm to reach through far enough.

Ghettofab75 said:
Thanks! Thats kinda what I thought of looking at what pics I can find.

I thought about using something like this on my build: https://www.amazon.com/smartmarine-Hatch-Cover-Inspection-Detachable/dp/B09W8ZFFL5?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=AD97NREOBV1D1&th=1&psc=1

It would have to mount from the inside to work, but they are inexpensive and sealable. No one would really see the outside either when its in the truck.
For me the turnbuckle doors are an important part of my ventilation system when I want the door closed for security, privacy, stealth, or heat management. They are key to reducing condensation. I would suggest that, whatever you use, think about providing for bug screens.

I will vouch again for those screens.

I did get some wind blown rain enter through one while the camper was stored on my dolly in front of my garage so don't eliminate the internal FWC covers.

ckent323 said:
I will vouch again for those screens.

I did get some wind blown rain enter through one while the camper was stored on my dolly in front of my garage so don't eliminate the internal FWC covers.
Yup. Need them to keep out road dust, too. And smoke, and cold, etc.

I'll second the idea of using the turnbuckles as ventilation or for flow control (when, eg. cooking inside.)

If I were worried about security, I'd put a latch on the inside...not difficult. These round bits look great for screens, but not been needed in my setup as of yet. It's not like the screen door keeps bugs out (mine has gaps).

Back
Top Bottom