Tiedowns for new F150

Atlin

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new ATC. I have a new F150 (aluminum bed) that it will go onto. I much prefer having exterior tiedowns to the interior ones because 1) I dislike twisting myself around to access the interior ones, 2) I like to be able to see the tiedowns and tighten if/as necessary, and 3) I may build a 4" high "false floor" as a storage compartment for my jacks and other stuff and it will interfere with access to the internal tiedowns.

That said, I've looked at the torklift system (pretty pricey) and have talked with the Happijac people, who tell me they don't make a system for the new F150 and don't even intend to do so in the future. So my question is has anyone used the stake pocket tiedowns and, if so, what has been your experience?

Or are there other alternatives out there that I haven't yet found? I'm also considering fabricating my own tiedowns so if there is anyone out there that has done that and can share some experience, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Greg

Don't over think it. Sure they can be a pain but if you look on the turn buckle there will be two notches. Notches towards the bed and you can twist the proper direction.

Use a small screw driver or needle nose to tighten

Define "pricey"? How much was the truck? How much is the camper? I don't see where they are that expensive given they will do what you want and they are a well made product. It's a one time purchase. I have torklift tie downs and wouldn't have it any other way. I also have the Fast Guns (Derringers) and in less than 3 minutes the camper is tied down and I'm done. I unload and load mine more than most probably and it's convenient and a time saver.
sign0134.gif

I also use the Fast Guns with plates under the bed of my truck. Riverrunner is correct, fast, easy and a great connection camper to truck.

Thanks all for the input. I think I've decided to go with the torklift on the front and build myself a happijac type setup for the back. Don't think I can quite justify the $400+ for the fastguns so will use a wrench and some simple turnbuckles instead.

Back
Top Bottom