Time to move on......First day of winter

Yesterday around Lake Tahoe on the trails cut some trees out that blew down and it was nice upper 40 degrees. There is not much snow on the trails.. Today another Blue Bird day did some birding in Reno and was in the 50's. High pressure needs to break down so we can get some storms moving in. Looks like back East winter arrived.

We are under a persistent high pressure ridge that caps the deep valleys with an inversion layer.
So as we suffer through these agonizing days of clear weather, we woke up this morning to 45 degrees as an overnight low (the high will be 56). Our neighbors below woke to the 20's and 30's.

That's us when the inversion layer happens here, up at the lake is warmer than us. Sometimes after a snow falls we don't get solar warming and then a inversion hits and we are under fog for days. Only relief is to head up the hill to Tahoe to see the sun and feel the warmth.

ski3pin said:
We are under a persistent high pressure ridge that caps the deep valleys with an inversion layer.
So as we suffer through these agonizing days of clear weather, we woke up this morning to 45 degrees as an overnight low (the high will be 56). Our neighbors below woke to the 20's and 30's.
I didn't realize you got those on the west slope of the Sierra, but I guess there are some topographic similarities between the Valley being sandwiched between the Sierra and the Coast Range and the Salt Lake Basin being sandwiched between the Wasatch Range and the Basin and Range highs. I've never seen anything like the inversions in the Salt Lake basin in midwinter. As you note, you can descend from Park City/Parley's Summit (Pass) at +7,000' in the bright sunshine at 40-45 degrees F, and as you penetrate the tan to brown cloud headed west from Parley's, you're in so deep the sun is all but totally blocked out, the air is acrid, and it's 20-25 deg F colder. That can persist for a week to two weeks at most any time in winter.

Foy

Down in the Central Valley the annual migration of birds has begun. I went down to catch the full moon and saw tundra swan, white faced ibis, cattle egret and great egret, white fronted geese, and numerous raptors including a white-tailed kite, kestrel, red tail hawk.

I'm trying to squeeze in a trip down to Cosumnes Nature Preserve to photograph the sandhill cranes which has arrived.

I know this will come as a surprise, but here in Portland OR we have had clouds, rain, no snow, and some rain, in between rain showers. Although today was sunny! Forecast is for... let me check.. oh, yeah, clouds and rain.

Very windy, cold Santa Anas, we live at the end of a natural wind tunnel. We’re on fire watch. Also, very big surf off our county coast. Big surf + offshore winds = crowded wavelines but happy surfers.

I saw "freezing fog" in the forecast for Bend, OR, one variation of temperature inversion...and my least favorite weather. Weather that's cold - and feels colder because of the dampness... But not sunny and cold... And not cold and snowing. Just pointlessly unpleasant.

One time, about 35 years ago, we had a bad, cold inversion in Bend right around Christmas. Christmas Eve the HIGH in Bend was 5°F BELOW zero. And yet, 25 miles away up at Mt Bachelor, at 6000 feet, they were skiing in sunshine at 32°F!

I'm 2000 miles from Bend right now...and not complaining. ;)

Here in eastern Louisiana at 2230 CST it's 59°F and raining HARD!

IMG_20201203_222928.jpg

I'm camped at the blue dot shown on the radar map.

I'm still in a region that isn't very wintery, so I won't talk about the temperature.
But take a look at the abrupt shift in wind direction - and magnitude - that's forecast to happen here tonight! :eek:

IMG_20201223_193911.jpg
Those numbers across the bottom are hours,i.e., 6 - 11pm.

I'm camped on a south-facing shore -- just 50 feet from the water, so at least the strong north wind won't be blowing the briny wet onto shore and me.

a xmas gift...........................

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1200 PM PST Fri Dec 25 2020

...Impactful Winter Storm Expected for the Holiday Weekend...

.A winter storm will bring impactful winter weather across
interior northern California today into Saturday. Mountain snow
is expected across the Coast Range, the southern Cascades, western
Plumas County and the northern Sierra with this storm. Snow levels
will become lower tonight into Saturday morning. If traveling in
the mountains, carry chains, extra warm clothing and food, and be
prepared for significant travel delays.

CAZ068-069-261400-
/O.EXT.KSTO.WS.W.0009.201226T0000Z-201226T2100Z/
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
1200 PM PST Fri Dec 25 2020

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
1 PM PST SATURDAY ABOVE 4500 FEET...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches, with localized
  amounts up to 16 inches, are expected.

* WHERE...Western Plumas County/Lassen Park and West Slope
  Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...4 PM today to 1 PM Saturday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for significant reductions in
  visibility at times. Local snow accumulations down to around
  4000 feet with be possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means there will be snow covered
roads and limited visibilities. Travel is not recommended while
the warning is in effect. If you must travel, keep an extra
flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency.The latest road conditions for the state you are
calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

It’s snowing here now. Forecast is snow for the next 7 of 10 days. Staying home is an option.

first of what I expect to be several weather

One product issued by NWS for: 9 Miles ESE Baker City OR
Share|https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...er+Weather+Advisory&lat=44.7092&lon=-117.675#https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...er+Weather+Advisory&lat=44.7092&lon=-117.675#https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...er+Weather+Advisory&lat=44.7092&lon=-117.675#https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...er+Weather+Advisory&lat=44.7092&lon=-117.675#https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...er+Weather+Advisory&lat=44.7092&lon=-117.675#

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boise ID
234 PM MST Fri Dec 25 2020

IDZ011-013-033-ORZ062-261215-
/O.CON.KBOI.WW.Y.0016.201226T0000Z-201227T0000Z/
West Central Mountains-Boise Mountains-Upper Weiser River-
Baker County-
234 PM MST Fri Dec 25 2020 /134 PM PST Fri Dec 25 2020/

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM MST /4 PM
PST/ THIS AFTERNOON TO 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/ SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches
over the mountains, with up to 12 inches over the highest peaks.

* WHERE...Portions of northeast Oregon and west central Idaho.

* WHEN...From 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/ this afternoon to 5 PM MST /4
PM PST/ Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Rain shadow here on the back side of the Sierra.

Picture out front door at 3:10 light drizzle and full rainbow.
20201225_151333_resized.jpg

Here in ne calif, weather seems to bounce from clear and way colder than usual to above ave. temps, with periods of rain, rain snow mix ,then snow, then repeat :oops:! The sky cleared the other night and I got to see the big astronomical event in the nw sky-now that was neat! Had a dust of snow this AM, now the sun is out, might be able to take "Timber Dog" for a walk later! Hope next year is a better one!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom