Tioga Pass - May 2016

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
The Lady and I were able to make a backcountry ski trip into the Sierra Nevada high country. The story is posted on our blog here -

Tioga Pass - May 2016

You all are more than welcome to tag along through the narrative and photos. It was a wonderful weekend getaway. It is so nice to have a spring snowpack again. :) Nothing like a little 3 pin skiing!

Thanks Ski for the trip.
That part about the breathing/light headedness sure would give a scare.
Glad it was only the allergies.
Shar had a similar issue a few weeks back at Big Trees.
Seems like allergies or a bit of a flu,but once on the road home all was good.
Just can't take chances at "our" age.
Wonderful trip.The rainbow in the clouds was the topping on the story.
Frank

Another great report. It just amazes me the size of your playground. You could do a different place every weekend for years and never repeat. Thanks for sharing. Glad it was allergies. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Great trip Ski! That campsite in the Jeffery Pines looks awful familiar - think it was the place we were at in March. Thanks for the tip on the cheap hot showers in Lee Vining - my wife would have loved to have known about that in March. Hard, icy spring snow - after a 3000' descent many years ago on ultra hard snow in the Boulder Mtns of Idaho, tying to kick steps with my tele boots, I always carry crampons. But then I fish a lot more in the spring now too.

longhorn1 said:
Another great report. It just amazes me the size of your playground. You could do a different place every weekend for years and never repeat. Thanks for sharing. Glad it was allergies. jd
x2! the rainbow photo is cool. Thanks for the report.

longhorn1 said:
Another great report. It just amazes me the size of your playground. You could do a different place every weekend for years and never repeat.

<snip>
We are indeed lucky to have so much outdoor adventure all around us. The danger is getting into the mindset that it is limitless; hardly the case. Management and protections are required, not to ensure recreation opportunities, but to maintain it as a healthy and thriving ecosystem. That keeps it a worthwhile landscape to visit.

All, thanks again for the kind words. It is hard to read this stuff and not want to drop everything and get back out there!

Taku, Mono Vista is open seasonally so a shower in March might not work out.

Another great little adventure. Thanks for posting.
My wife and I comment that most of the time we are the oldest people we see on the trail during the day.
I hope I have at least another 20 years or so...

I almost resisted reading your blog out of sheer envy.

Looks like a great trip with adaptability to variable conditions being one of the few constants.
It's been a long time since I skied Dana, but would go back in a heart beat.

Awesome!! I spent all last week near that area (TR coming soon) and wished I'd brought my skis with me a few times. Looks great.

I finally found the time to read your latest TR--always a lot of fun. I've only skied three times and the 3rd time I broke my leg (cross country). After that I hung it up. This TR made me want to reconsider that decision. Maybe next season...after I've upped my insurance...

As a federal employee, I know all about the bureaucratic hour of 0900!

I remember, it was several years ago, one day the Lady remarked about our growing skill at backcountry skiing. It was along these lines. " We're getting to be better skiers because we don't fall anymore, now we crash."

Good one about 0900, Groovy!

CarlG said:
Awesome!! I spent all last week near that area (TR coming soon) and wished I'd brought my skis with me a few times. Looks great.
CarlG, we are looking forward to hearing about your trip. ☺

Back
Top Bottom