Tire Chains

dsrtrat

With all the storms I thought I would pass on this link for Rud grip 4x4 cahins. I ordered two sets, best on line price I found and they have free shipping. Big plus as they weigh 52 pounds.
They don't state that they are Rud on the website but if you call they will verify it. Don't order over the phone use the on line ordering to get the best price.
I don't have any interest in this company just always looking for a good deal.
Dsrtrat

http://www.tirechainsrus.com/chain-4x4sn.html

I'm confused as to what model of RUD chains they are. Are you getting the
Grip 4x4
Case hardened alloy steel.
For 4 x 4 and light commercial use.
Reversible for long life.
Excellent traction on or off road.
Diamond pattern for great side stability.
Economical.

chains.jpg

chains001.jpg

Yes, those are the ones. They get good reviews from the 4x4 folks, Haven't needed them yet but tried them for mounting and they went on pretty easy.
Dsrtrat

I'm confused as to what model of RUD chains they are. Are you getting the
Grip 4x4
Case hardened alloy steel.
For 4 x 4 and light commercial use.
Reversible for long life.
Excellent traction on or off road.
Diamond pattern for great side stability.
Economical.

View attachment 7365

View attachment 7366

Yes, those are the ones. They get good reviews from the 4x4 folks, Haven't needed them yet but tried them for mounting and they went on pretty easy.
Dsrtrat

Thanks......

With the 2005 4 Runner I don't really know yet how it wheels. It would be great to have a set in the car if there are chains required and to show that I have a set.

But when I really would need them if I was in the back roads in Utah and got caught in a thunder storm and the clay got slick and chains on all four would make a difference trying to make it out. Wonder how these diamond pattern chains would do in mud???

The Red truck I did have a set until I upsized the tires. For the 24 years I owned it I NEVER put chains on and drove anywhere.

Why did you buy two sets? Are you going to need all 4 tires chained when you get into a holy crap situation?

Thanks......

With the 2005 4 Runner I don't really know yet how it wheels. It would be great to have a set in the car if there are chains required and to show that I have a set.

But when I really would need them if I was in the back roads in Utah and got caught in a thunder storm and the clay got slick and chains on all four would make a difference trying to make it out. Wonder how these diamond pattern chains would do in mud???

The Red truck I did have a set until I upsized the tires. For the 24 years I owned it I NEVER put chains on and drove anywhere.

Why did you buy two sets? Are you going to need all 4 tires chained when you get into a holy crap situation?

Speaking of chains... Did you guys see the brief news report of the guy in Flagstaff that was stuck because he put chains on the rear tires of his front wheel drive vehicle? I can't stop laughing about it...

4 drive wheels = 4 chains for maximum directional stability. Think of one pair of drive wheels with more traction going downhill and around corners. Which ever axle a single pair is on to will tend to push or pull the other end around. I also spend a lot of time in the Utah backcountry but don't know how well they would do in the clay. Most times I just to wait for the roads to dry. Not worth a trip to the ditch or worse. I guess if I had to move I would try them.
Dsrtrat

Thanks......

I was looking at the glove box manual…”Only put the chains on the rear”…..This is a All-Wheel drive 4 Runner…I bet they are saying rear only if you only had one set.

I wish they would expand, but it is only the glove box book.

Craig, Those have a lot of bare tire rubber between patterns. I like the Diamond because there is always contact with the ground.

Speaking of chains... Did you guys see the brief news report of the guy in Flagstaff that was stuck because he put chains on the rear tires of his front wheel drive vehicle? I can't stop laughing about it...

Seen a lot of this...when I lived in Mammoth Lakes I drove AAA tow truck........

When I came back from Moab I had to chain up to get over 80 due to the fact I was towing a trailer. Unfortunately the chains left some serious dents in my tires. Not sure why. Tires? Installation? (I had a chain monkey put them on, not something I'd normally do but I was dead tired).

Thats why I have a set of cable chains now. Truck goes through snow pretty well now, just need to be legal.

From what I have read if you are towing a trailer chains on the tow vechicle is requried. With brakes on the trailer then you need chains on one axle of the trailer also. This is Calif and Oregon.

Might have to get a set for the 4Runner and look in the garage for a set the fits the Casita. That is if I plan to travel in the winter.

You should ALWAYS chain up all four tires on a 4x4 for safety and to prevent damaging the drive train. Chains increase the axle ratio by making the wheel "bigger". If you only chain up one axle, your rig will probably handle funky, especially if you only chain up the rear.
Of course, you're welcome to do anything you want; this is what I do on my rig. YMMV.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom