Tired of High Tech

^ In years past when ordering a new vehicle stepping up a trim level from the base or even stripper model level like Bill's example would add features like power doors, auto trans, A/C, better audio etc. As we know many of those previously considered luxury items are now standard in most all cars. So what's a mfr to do ?

Consider the Nissan Leaf, three trim levels available. Going from the base to the mid level adds the following first three items as listed on website:
  • ProPilot Assist
  • NissanConnectSM with Navigation featuring Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM
  • NissanConnect EV (telematics) – allowing for remote connection to the vehicle
All are high tech items (I figure :unsure:). I think this is the sort of thing the OP was talking about. This stuff doesn't appeal to me either but it must to enough of today's consumers that the mfr offers them as part of an added value enticement to increase the selling price.

ardvark asked, "Whats driving the market?"., IDK if the tail is wagging the dog here but I do think those folks buying the expensive toys that ski3 mentions won't be leaving, or have the desire to leave, the same kinds of assets (and one might say values) to their kids the way some in previous generations choose to do so. Times change..

One benefit of high tech that I don't think has been mentioned is the improvement in actual build quality. Technology used in the design, engineering and especially the construction of vehicles may not have helped the worker but it has greatly improved the finished product imo.

klahanie said:
<snip>

One benefit of high tech that I don't think has been mentioned is the improvement in actual build quality. Technology used in the design, engineering and especially the construction of vehicles may not have helped the worker but it has greatly improved the finished product imo.
Indeed...

A perspective from an IEEE paper on the "Reliability paradox for worldwide automotive electronics"

Here is the paper abstract:

Abstract:
Automotive Electronics is growing ever since the technological advancement has brought about a revolution in the Automotive Semiconductor and Telematics industry, especially in the past decade. Utilization of microelectronics and hence circuits' complexity is increasing continuously in automotive industry.
Advancement in electronic technology increases the dominance of electronics in automotive markets, and reliability requirements for Automobile Electronics have grown over the past many years. However, the faults and rate of defects is also increasing as indicated by proportion of number of recalls made by large automobile companies, and this poses a difficult `Paradox' to understand and curb.
One of the reasons is that the increase in technological advancements makes the vehicles' system more complex and difficult to test for reliability. Also, operating parameters such as temperature, humidity, etc. are increasingly stringent with the continuous development of the electronic systems in vehicles.
Short time to market and ineffective design for reliability methodology employed, including various misconceptions on reliability testing, have rendered a lag in providing components and systems that match the increasing reliability requirements for vehicles.
Therefore, a call for greater effort in reliability understanding and systematic design for reliability methodology is essential if continuous engagement of advanced electronic technologies is to be continued. The transition from Mechanical Automotive system to Electronics Automotive system and its effect on the Automotive industry is discussed in this work.
The fact that technological benefits are not helping in improving reliability of the Automotive Electronics system is explained by studying the worldwide automotive recalls and the Paradox of Automotive Electronics Reliability is presented and explained.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7889654/

All I know is that I wouldn't trade my 1986 Toyota 4x4 Extra cab 22RTE for a new Tacoma. It has all the bells and whistles I want and all I need to read any codes from the OBD is a paper clip.

cwd

Technology, reliability, and cost are as unique an individual choice as your favorite book... Look at how many people add $$$ 2-way refrig and solar and smart chargers and battery monitors... to avoid buying cooler ice (we are happy with our cooler).

Having owned cars and trucks from new to the junk yard, A/C is always the first to go bad but I would never own a vehicle without A/C. Brakes and fancy brake systems have worked well other than road salt repairs and I would purchase all the braking features as they have saved us (deploying ABS at 70 MPH on an interstate when cut off worked well).

The priority given to electric windows is very common but interesting. Our electric windows have lasted longer without a repair then hand crank but we prefer hand crank so we can open the windows without putting in the key. Those who prefer electric windows, the vast majority, accept a lot of risk since electric windows do not work when your vehicle is submerged :oops: (hopefully our camper will create enough flotation so we can deploy the hand crank windows when washed away).

Our truck is a work truck and we would buy another since chrome is but a fleeting joy.

I agree with most of the posts here. And I've been continually accelerating my departure from high-tech but find it increasingly difficult. Two years ago when I bought my 2006 Ram 2500 4x4 I figured it would be my next to last truck. I've had my share of tech issues with it but now wonder if I ever could, based on current designs, trade up to something newer. I may not.

My phone recently died (engineered obsolescence) and the new Googlized Moto smartphone is crap. Never behaves the same twice. It constantly decides it has better ideas. Even simpler tech has let me down. I have a Spot satellite messenger since I'm often out in the boondocks by myself. As well as a trip plan, each day when I make camp I send an OK message so the family knows all is good. I was in the Eastern Sierras in early May. After several days I came down into town for supplies and was surprised that my messages did not get through, yet the device's indicator lights clearly lead me to believe that it had a GPS fix and the message was sent. So now I don't even trust that thing.

I learned to tune a breaker points ignition engine when I was twelve. I'm perfectly comfortable with the old stuff. I enjoy crawling under my 1968 jeep for frequent maintenance. It's like visiting with an old friend, unlike a trip to the dealership.

Oil in the hair, dirt in the face, skinned knuckles, I still do it but I don't enjoy is as much anymore. There is satisfaction in actually being able to fix something. I should probably grab the five wrenches needed to work on the Jeep and crawl underneath before heading on vacation.

I integrate trusted 'new' tech into my older vehicles. My '65 Valiant DD runs a TBI vintage GM HEI electronic IGN module & E-Core coil on it's 170ci slant 6. It is slated to get Throttle Body Fuel Infection at some point as I'm tired of messing with carbs. The '70 Bronc-up has a complete 5.0 SEFI engine management system waiting on me to get it running first. Both of these systems have well known failure modes that have been addressed and mostly worked out by now.

I know of a 7.3L Ford that got sold as scrap because the new long block put in it by a pro never would run right. Even Navistar couldn't figure it out, and it was their long block. I won't be doing any 7.3L PSD swaps any time soon.....

I have to admit, even the Jeep no longer has points. They are in the back just in case of an emp attack :)

Not sure where to post this so moderator please move where it belongs... I just like the thread title...seems to be as low tech as one can get. I have sand mats but not a winch. I camp mostly where there are trees to use as anchors and this seems to be pretty cool if one is stuck on a logging road somewhere. I have never needed a winch so somehow have shied away from adding the 'extra' weight.

I have read the above posts and agree with some and not so with others.
I have figured out my thoughts so here they are.
1. I'm old retired able to buy what i want, could care less what "new" item is available.
2. I do not forget the good old days (do we forget all the breakdowns the good old rigs had?)
3. Most people do not have the money to custom order new vehicles,so they end up buying
what is on lot or within area and we know most are loaded, face it the dealers are not your friend!.
4.Most people are limited as far as mechanical ability so we dream about the perfect restore,rebuild
but end up with what is available.(almost not worth it in some states Calif as a example) i've explored
this way but refer back to 1. Do not want to waste my out door time overseeing a custom build.
5. Today you can do a pretty good custom build if you are wiling to wait 8-10 months and pre pay 50% of build
yes i have done this.custom ordered one ton 4x4 shipped to Tiger adventure vehicles back east, basic work
truck set up with what i wanted, turned out great for what it was,remember great is not cheap.
6. I also try and look ahead and not worry about the past, cause we can do nothing about it.
7. Have tried to somewhat keep up on computer tech, but because it does not interest me have quit
worrying about learning devices.not knowing does not bother me anymore, in this regard my flip phone
has not rang in the past 12 days!
8.Do admit that some tech has made our wandering time more enjoyable and that is auto pay, we now never worry
while exploring, do not have to waste outdoor time on anything but Doctor appts!
As i write this call just came in to pick up our custom ford transit camper for recall for bad drive shaft coupling
now we can get back to wandering! Darn worthless new trucks basic mech break down.

Just my thoughts yours may differ.

Les,lqhikers

I've been missing my Dad's old GMC pick up a lot lately. Early 80's, 4-speed manual tranny with granny low, bullet proof transfer case, headlight dimmer switch on the floor (why did they stop making those?). The AM/FM radio with the preset buttons that you pulled out to set. The big steel clang of the doors closing. The rifle rack in the back window. The long bed. The side-saddle dual fuel tanks that may have been subject to a recall. All the space under the hood. Not a silicon chip in sight.

I have 5 F350 diesels, ranging from'87 to '94. No computers. I'm pretty happy with them all. I have a spare engine on a stand awaiting a rebuild over the winter, and a couple of parts trucks. I'll never have to buy a new vehicle.

nelstomlinson said:
I have 5 F350 diesels, ranging from'87 to '94. No computers. I'm pretty happy with them all. I have a spare engine on a stand awaiting a rebuild over the winter, and a couple of parts trucks. I'll never have to buy a new vehicle.
Welcome to WTW.
That's nice to have all the spare parts to keep a great truck running long after much newer ones are gone.
Frank

I enjoyed reading the comments from you guys with Toyotas and VW's back in the day and working on them...

I just have to say you haven't wrenched on a vehicle until you've owned a 70's era Fiat!

It must have been my Italian heritage but my first 4 cars were Fiats! Talk about a glutton for punishment..

My last one was an X 1/9. When it ran it was a fantastic car with its mid engine it handled the back roads magnificently. Sadly that wasn't very often... I ended up driving that car from NH to Texas for my graduate degree. The trip was suppose to take a week but ended up taking a month during which time I had the transmission replaced in NYC, the right control arm in Pennsylvania and the alternator in Tuskegee Alabama...

Technology can be a PITA but for the most part has improved our vehicle reliability.

I gotta chime in. I love my 2016 truck and haven’t a clue what to do under the hood besides oil changes. That said I sit here in the garage tying on my iPhone WTW app while I suck down a Ballantine Ale. I am about to quit for the night. I have been rebuilding my 1956 R50 BMW motorcycle I have had for 44 years. We have crossed the USA twice and barely survived a few mishaps. She can burn low octane rum if she has too. Smooth as silk at 65 mph. Can’t stop w/o dragging your feet with 8” drums. It is such a well engineered bike for its time and even now I get 50 mpg. Super quiet at times I think it has turned off while idling. Very basic... bleeder carbs, a magneto so always able to start. 6V. Headlights sort of. But I love this bike. I am selling my ‘new’ 1991 R100 I’ve had since I bought it new. As I age I just feel safer on the old bike. I know exactly what it and I are doing.
That all said I love new worthwhile gizmos but nothing takes the connective ness between man and machine like an old bike. I am smiling just thinking about the next ride.

Oh here she is... about to get going again. I IMG_5948.JPG

Back
Top Bottom