Tired of that plastic taste

The Saints

Every time we use our water from inside the camper, we get this disgusting plastic taste. No matter what. We flushed the tank several times with bleach, taste get better stuff, etc. Then I decided to check on line about this and discovered I was not the only one. Only these wise guys said that they replaced their water hose. So I removed the front of my cabinet, lots of assorted screws, removed some wiring from my controls for the water pump, heater, lights and the front piece came off. I drained the water tank from outside, and took the hose ends off the faucet side and the pump. I pulled the hose out and now I get to replace it. Can you say Nalgene? I hope after all this that it works. I will up date when done.

done that too. I am sure it is the tube. It smells like the same plastic hose taste we taste. I have to replace it anyway since i went to this much trouble taking it out.

Same here. I put a filter inline under the sink. A few trips for parts and mounting brackets and now have great tasting water. Never thought about the hose. Hmmm

S

Drink water? I've never heard of such a thing. Ice cubes I understand, but drink it? Yuck! In the five years I've owned my camper I've never once drank any water from the tank. So I couldn't tell you how it tastes. I bring a couple of gallons of purified water for cooking and ,shutter, drinking. However I have a Grandby with 8' of floor space so a 3 gal square bottle of water is easy to store.

mike

I'm the same way. Camper water is for the dog, washing dishes etc, not drinking. Dog drinks it so it must be okay.

Ditto. I'd have to be >very< thirsty. The tank smelled like PVC glue for a year... so no drinking for us from this source unless it's an exteme emergency. Kinda like the table....somethin needs to change here.

mtn

So I got the new hose and installed it but was just too tired to fill the tank and test it. Some how I had two wood screws left over in the reassembly though.
I will fill the tank today, and tell all of my expected triumph, I hope.

Ok, I just filled the water and the taste is much better, however, it only tastes as good as the white hose I fill the tank with. I would say it is 100% better, but it still has a slight taste. Nothing that would affect our tea now.

Ditto. I'd have to be >very< thirsty. The tank smelled like PVC glue for a year... so no drinking for us from this source unless it's an exteme emergency. Kinda like the table....somethin needs to change here.

mtn

My guess is a lot of this has more to do with the level probes that get glued into the side of the tank as opposed to just the poly pro tank itself. I'm planning to just a visual level detection on my build to hopefully avoid this.

Pods,
After all this, you have to think about the quality of the white garden type hose you use to fill the tank. I'm thinking that Outerspace's idea about the inline filter is a good idea.
Any help here Outerspace, type, size, where you bought it?
Does anyone know how much pressure the little pump provided by ATC generate?

Not *causal proof*, but additional data--

My OEM H2O set up tasted plastic-y too. When I remodeled I chose a Plastimo bladder and I used water line plumbing from HD to plumb it to the pump and faucet. Never had any plastic-y smell or taste, which I thought was odd at the time.

(I can estimate the level by looking at the bladder.)

Pods8, your supposition is a good one, bud. But if The Saints' water tastes OK to them, shouldn't they leave well enough alone, or keep ripping out?

(As for me, it was mostly about getting back the under counter space for stuff I use *on* the counter by putting the water in the less accessible space. We had always used bottled water for drinking, but we don't any more.)

Interesting thread.

Pods,
After all this, you have to think about the quality of the white garden type hose you use to fill the tank.

Personally I don't actually use a hose to fill my tank since I never bothered to buy a drinking water rated hose to reach my camper parking space. I just fill up a 5gal collapsible water jug off the faucet and carry it over to the camper and set it on top of the camper with a piece of flexible tubing over the spigot running into the water fill.

With some further thought, and the wife's persuasion, I think we may leave everything as is, and get one of those Britta counter top filters. Something about pushing a rope up a hill.....

well, after this trip I have some good news and some bad news. I lost the plastic taste, only if I run the pump for several seconds first. If I just grab water without, eeewww.
But we bought a Britta Filter 80 ounce pitcher, and that is nice, but will not remove any plastic taste.
Like I said, if we run the water for a bit of time, 10 - 15 seconds, water is good.

Back
Top Bottom