To old and tired to raise the roof

Speedbump

Am I doing damage to my grandby if I only raise the rear of the campers roof for overnight camping? I don't have much weight up there 2 100a panels and a maxxfan. Just concerned about uneven stresses put on the rear panel this is a older 1998 camper and has the thin walled front and rear panel. I don't need the space above the cab if I am only staying for a short time and I find it so much easier not to pop up the forward section. I will be putting struts on this fall but I am currently in the middle of a 2 month trip out in Utah and other western states. Thanks.View attachment 28088View attachment 28088View attachment 28088View attachment 28089

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 115
I doubt you cause any issues assuming you have all the latches undone.

I have heard of people using some type of "pole" to push up the roof. I would think you could use something like a broom or ? to help or maybe even a little step stool to help you get a bit higher/closer to the push boards?

Somewhere in a thread here, or very near here, are posts showing how to raise the rear, aim the vehicle toward the sun to increase output from the solar panels.

When I was given my walk thru, it was demonstrated to raise the rear first. No warning was given as to a time limit prior to lifting the front.

However, driving in that configuration may not further your relationship with the camper. :p

Paul

I use the raised rear often while out and about.
Like if we want a coffee I can just raise the rear make coffee then lower when the stove cools enough.
Simple enough no damage.
Frank

What about just raising the front? I like to sleep in the upper bunk and sometimes raise only the front if I'm just going to sleep.

Anyone think that's a problem?

PJorgen said:
What about just raising the front? I like to sleep in the upper bunk and sometimes raise only the front if I'm just going to sleep.

Anyone think that's a problem?
I would personally be concerned about this if wind conditions picked up during the night. I wouldn't want to be under the roof it came down.

The reason I say this is I've opened up the back door during windy conditions with the roof unlatched and had the roof raise and fall quite easily all the way up and all the way down repeatedly.

By having only one side up, you don't have the same stability.

Not a major concern, but something to certainly keep in mind.

Snow could also be a factor for some people.

I'm Old too ;) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you get the gas struts ASAP you will be pleasantly surprised. I really could not imagine lifting mine without!

Here is my experience with my On Stage SS8800BPLUS Speaker Stand...

Bought 7/29/2012: used 89 nights since then, times 2 up/downs of speaker stand = 178... round up for the very few times we would use other than spending the night = 225 up/downs.

On our 11,555 mile bucket list trip (52 nights in camper), I noticed the cranking was getting MUCH harder. When we got home I opened up the speaker stand and it had ALOT of brass "dust" in the unit. It appears the steel gear eats the brass gear.

So, instead of buying another speaker stand (at AMZ for $59 back then), I will be doing the "roof lifting helper shocks thingys".

Mike

flinchlock said:
So, instead of buying another speaker stand (at AMZ for $59 back then), I will be doing the "roof lifting helper shocks thingys".

Mike
Struts are not a substitute for the speaker stand, but they certainly help raise the roof once it is half raised. They do very little id anything in the beginning 1/2 of the lift.

I personally use the speaker stand and I have more than enough strength to lift the roof without it. I just feel it Is safer as you it is difficult to employ proper lifting practices in such a confined space.

BTW, I lubricate my speaker stand on occasion. No issues since 2013 and approx. the same amount of use.

Bill D said:
Struts are not a substitute for the speaker stand, but they certainly help raise the roof once it is half raised. They do very little id anything in the beginning 1/2 of the lift.
Good to know, THANKS!

I personally use the speaker stand and I have more than enough strength to lift the roof without it.
The back door lift is OK for me.

The front lift is just a PITA...
1) With my feet on the floor, the lift angle is just very difficult for me to have much strength (because of the storage area under pass-thru window), and the floor rug also has a tendency to slid towards the back door. If I remove the rug, then I have to take off my socks to have any "gription".
OR
2) Take off shoes and get up on the cushions. The distance is too short for me to have much strength, and the angle is also hard on my back. Absolutely no way my wife can lift the front!

I just feel it Is safer as you it is difficult to employ proper lifting practices in such a confined space.
No sheet. :)

BTW, I lubricate my speaker stand on occasion. No issues since 2013 and approx. the same amount of use.
Do you use some kind of dry lube, or just add zerk grease fittings? :)

flinchlock said:
Do you use some kind of dry lube, or just add zerk grease fittings? :)
I just use WD40. I spray the teeth, work it into the gears and wipe up any excess with a paper towel. I'm really minimalist. Even though there may be better products, I just carry 1 can of WD40. I use it for lubricating everything that I feel needs lubrication.

One of the interesting things that I use it on is the rubber socket that my camper door plunges into, to help hold the door open (newer models have a newer style latch). I use it so that the rubber socket doesn't get torn up. Seems to work awesome with the smallest squirt.

I just added struts but I still use the speaker lifter jack. It's definitely easier to lift now, even with the 2 solar panels I added.

Back
Top Bottom