Tonopah-Goldfield NV Dispersed Camping?

steelhead

Hi all,

Heading to Death Valley next week from Oregon. The Tonopah-Goldfield area looks like a good stop over area for the night before we go into the park but I can't seem to find any information about campgrounds (that are not the RV campgrounds) or dispersed camping off of 95 in that area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Steel,

If you need no services you can boondock on any of the many dirt roads off of 95 between Tonopah and Goldfield. If you head west on the Silver Peak Road you can check out Alkali Flat Hotspring which may be soakable (conditions vary).

BillM said:
Steel,

If you need no services you can boondock on any of the many dirt roads off of 95 between Tonopah and Goldfield. If you head west on the Silver Peak Road you can check out Alkali Flat Hotspring which may be soakable (conditions vary).
It is pretty wide open out there for finding a spot without services for the night. We look for roads that lead off to a spot that looks interesting and drive until we don't see anybody - usually doesn't take long. Alkali Flat Hotspring is easy to find, it's on Google maps. There are a few old buildings in the area and the Silver Peak Road is access to the town of Silver Peak and its now booming lithium mine, so a bit busier these days.

We have spent a couple of nights off of 266, to the west of 95

Steel,

I assume you are entering the park on the 374 out of Beatty since the Scotty's Castle road is closed. Depending on when you get to Beatty there is an area west of town where we've boondocked a lot. It's off the Titus Canyon road before it enters DV national park. There's lots of flat areas on desert pavement to camp and not many folks if you like your solitude. FYI, in the park there are lots of backcountry areas where you can legally boondock which beat the heck out of the crowded campsites IMO. Have fun!

Thanks for the follow up note Bill. Yes, we are planning to go in via Beatty. It is helpful to know about the Titus Canyon road option if we can get that far. And we are definitely looking forward to spending multiple days boon docking in the park rather than just passing through. Thanks again - really appreciate the guidance.

I have over-nighted at the roadside rest area NW of Tonopah when traveling thru and just needing a stop. Little bit of road noise, but not bad. If you can get under one of the trees it's quite pleasant.

BillM said:
Steel,

I assume you are entering the park on the 374 out of Beatty since the Scotty's Castle road is closed. Depending on when you get to Beatty there is an area west of town where we've boondocked a lot. It's off the Titus Canyon road before it enters DV national park. There's lots of flat areas on desert pavement to camp and not many folks if you like your solitude. FYI, in the park there are lots of backcountry areas where you can legally boondock which beat the heck out of the crowded campsites IMO. Have fun!
That section heading out Titus, west of Beatty, has good cell service on Verizon, FYI. I downloaded BCNav maps while SR did her first baptismal piloting of our rig up and over the pass down into Titus. Be sure you stop and check out Leadfield before you exit the route.

When we head through we always spend the night at the rest stop north of Tonapah. There is a big dirt lot to get away from others and has a well used bathroom that is abused by people.

But there are many dirt roads you can detour off to find a spot.

BillM said:
<snip>
FYI, in the park there are lots of backcountry areas where you can legally boondock which beat the heck out of the crowded campsites IMO. Have fun!
Information and the regulations about backcountry roadside camping in Death Valley National Park can be found here -

Backcountry Camping

Thanks again to everyone who has replied. The database of knowledge from the members of this forum and your willingness to share it is amazing. Show time for us is less than day away - can't wait to get there and start building our own experience.

Back
Top Bottom