Tool Kit Ideas

I'm trying to build a basic Tool Kit that won't weigh too much

Thanks, Elliott

I like Larry's list. It takes up very little room. A self rescue is a lot more affordable :). The same tools may come in handy for survival. I'd also carry a few meters/yards of bailing wire and zip ties.

An inReach product would be awesome if you can afford it. I can't imagine anything that would give more piece of mind.

Hey Gang, Thanks so much for all of the replies! Tons of great advice which I need it because I tend to over pack and I'm trying to think somewhat in my backpacking mode due to the realities of the weight limitations with my rig. I've had an Inreach for several years and I consider critical for backcountry travel. I really appreciate all of the help and I hope to be able to share my knowledge as it develops.
Thanks Again,
Elliott

Didn't follow all the links but I'll add: a knife, be it pocket or box cutter - one of the most frequent items I dig into the tool bag for.

Lighthawk mentioned mechanic gloves - useful for every person travelling - and hand cleaner (I like the powder type like WORX). I'll add that inexpensive, compact, disposable gloves could be an alternative or addition.

Agree with a tire repair kit. They can be inexpensive, easy to use and a real time saver but you'll want an air compressor (useful anyway).

Also suggest you carry a tool to loosen the wheel nuts (might need a cheater/breaker bar). I've seen more than one "failure to loosen" result in an expensive tow.

Also suggest you carry the tool(s) for tightening or adjusting the camper turnbuckles, if one is required in your configuration. Their loosening up has been posted on here. If you install a lock nut like I have, you'd want a wrench for the nut and perhaps a tool to hold the turnbuckle body (could be a stubby screwdriver or what have you). If you install a safety wire you may want some small pliers etc.

And add a tool for the fasteners in the camper. I carry a 1/4" nut driver for the gazillion screws in ours, which can sometimes come loose. Check for whatever FWC is using now for screw heads.

Finally, if you do need to make a roadside repair Murphy's Law says it will be hot, or rainy, dark, dirty etc. Tips for these conditions have been mentioned but I'll add it could be buggy so we always have a pair of cheap bug, head nets in the glove box. Also cheap hi viz vests in the seat back pocket and sad to say, N95 respirators.

Safe travels

CSAA has never had a problem with my camper. Well the one time anyway. Try flares on your lug nuts (if its fire safe of course). Sometimes I take just a minimal amount of tools when I'm not going far but I should probably change that. I'd rather self rescue if I can.

craig333 said:
Try flares on your lug nuts (if its fire safe of course).
Yes, I've thought (and since forgot) to carry a small butane torch for heating up things. But we already carry far too much stuff...

Funny, just completed a two week long distance trip and only used loppers and the aforementioned respirator. Then the morning after getting home I notice a stain on the drive from a fuel tank leak ! so you never know ...

I've read the most common probs are with tires and the cooling system. And maybe charging system and electronics.

I also carry a small wire brush and metal file, both useful for electrical contact cleaning.

For lug nuts I've long feared the not being able to get them loose, so I loosen them at home after a shop has worked on anything where they may have been R&R'd, and then after adding a little more anti-seize to each stud I tighten them with what I carry in the truck to loosen them with.

For foul weather, have to lay under the truck events I grab the old shower curtain liner, clean it, fold it, & stow it in the camper. Any number of other uses a small, water-proof tarp might be handy to have as well.

klahanie said:
klahanie, on 20 Aug 2018 - 8:17 PM, said:

Yes, I've thought (and since forgot) to carry a small butane torch for heating up things. But we already carry far too much stuff...

Funny, just completed a two week long distance trip and only used loppers and the aforementioned respirator. Then the morning after getting home I notice a stain on the drive from a fuel tank leak ! so you never know ...

I've read the most common probs are with tires and the cooling system. And maybe charging system and electronics.

I also carry a small wire brush and metal file, both useful for electrical contact cleaning.
Instead of a butane torch, carry the business end of a plumber's torch. It will screw onto one of the 1lb Coleman tanks. I carry a few of those anyway and a "Steak Saver" in case my 20# tank runs empty.

Common Sense.
Sometimes I leave home with out it, but that voice in my ear helps me find it quickly. Thanks honey.

Russ

Since I've started using LPS copper anti-seize on lug stud threads I've not had a seized lug nut. Contrary to net legend the nuts do not work loose. I take care to not get any on the tapered seat part of the nuts or the wheels.

A note on using a plumber's torch instead of "Girl/Boy Scout Gas" to get the campfire lit, don't use it on high. Low to middle works far better.

ntsqd said:
Since I've started using LPS copper anti-seize on lug stud threads I've not had a seized lug nut. Contrary to net legend the nuts do not work loose. I take care to not get any on the tapered seat part of the nuts or the wheels.
+1 on this! For many years, I HAD to go to work regardless of snow or ice on the roads. I had four studded snow tires, mounted and balanced on junkyard rims, and I changed them out myself every October and March. Always used anti-seize on the studs. Used the same 4-way lug wrench I carried in the car to put them on and take them off. Never found a loose lug nut, never found one that was so tight it was a problem, which was something that used to happen occasionally before I started using the anti-seize.

Not to hijack too much but just to note that some anti seize contain know carcinogens. Think the LPS mentioned is ok. I'm sure the old stuff I use isn't.

Prob not a biggie but it does have a tendency to get everywhere, kinda like hydraulic fluid...

Duct tape, duct tape, and a roll of duct tape. Tire plug repair kit - it's saved my bacon 3+ times in the backcountry. Cigarette lighter plug-in air pump, to inflate the flat you just had. Flashlight, some common wrenches and screwdrivers, bungee cords, zip ties and DUCT TAPE. I've used duct tape for tons of things...busted radiator hose, torn material, etc. Don't forget the duct tape. :D

radar, you wouldn't happen to be a desciple of Red "Spare the duct tape, spoil the job" Green, now would you ?

(Jump to 3:30 to save yourself some wincing)

My take on tools...

Select tools to perform common repairs of parts that fail due to use and not due to lack of preventive maintenance. If the latter, you'd might as well pack your shop in a trailer and pull it behind you :D .

The airlines rebuild/replace 90% of all parts on an airplane in accordance with a strict, FAA approved, preventive maintenance schedule (PMS, yes, that's the abbreviation). Bad things happen if you wait for a part to fail. While our trucks certainly will not fall out of the sky, getting stranded far off the beaten track due to lack of preventive maintenance can quickly become a life threatening event depending on location and time of year.

First step determining a tool kit IMO, look over the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule published in the owner's manual. Depending on the part/fluid, I will often perform preventive maintenance many, many miles sooner as a normal course of action. The published schedule is often determined by analysis to determine mean time between failure (MTBF). If Murphy is with you way out in the boonies, you will likely end up with a part failing far short of the mean. Why I decrease the recommended service mileage for parts that will stop me in my tracks.

While an expensive option, I'd considering replacing 2yo+ truck crank batteries before heading on a long backcountry trip or one far away from home.

I know guys who pack extra axle bearings, ring/pinion gears, clutch/psi plate, darn near everything to rebuild drivetrain and suspension. While certainly a good idea, I guess, I would advocate replacing those parts based on miles or calibrated wear before heading out on a trip to the boonies.

As others have posted, there a far more likely parts that will fail on your rig. I would build my tool kit around those parts. Flat tires, lose of fluids, etc. I carry Black Cat truck tire repair items, ExtremeAire Magnum air compressor (I have it in the big honking red box, someday, I might attach the compressor to the underside of the truck frame). JB Weld (cold weld) to fix a hole in the radiator causing fluid loss. Gorilla Tape and 3 or 4 different sizes of Thomas & Betts cable ties (a few with the stainless steel locking device). Select tools stowed in a Blue Ridge Overland Tool Bag. The bag holds a lot of tools and they do not rattle around. Further, the bag can be made to conform to a tight space, if enough room in the space.

Finally, the MOST IMPORTANT tool is already carried in the best case imaginable, your brain inside your head. If something bad (mechanical or otherwise) happens to you out in the boonies, KEEP YOUR WITS! Rather then jumping out and immediately performing maintenance, assess the situation. Rather then immediately assuming you know the problem, step away from your rig and ask "OK, what problem(s) do I have? Slow down and take time to assess the overall situation. Other then getting the vehicle safely stopped after suffering a mechanical, very, very few break downs require immediate action on your part The military and airlines are infamous for instilling this concept.

And the second most important tool IMO, water. Not just enough water for the number of days you planned to be out in the boonies, but a good reserve of water and (not or) a filtration system to purify water) for unexpected added days in the boonies. You can go a long time without food, not so for water.

And I always have my InReach with me on outings. You can not rely on cell phone service and coverage.

Sorry in advance if I've rambled on far too long. But, an important topic that goes well beyond actual tools.

Vic Harder said:
Instead of a butane torch, carry the business end of a plumber's torch. It will screw onto one of the 1lb Coleman tanks. I carry a few of those anyway and a "Steak Saver" in case my 20# tank runs empty.
Be honest now, you're making creme brulee out in the wilderness aren't you? Bonus dessert points if you are.

tools.JPG

Here's where I carry most of my tools i.e. flat repair, screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, etc. It works great, but you have to have the Jerry can mount on the back of your camper.

Oh my gosh...duct tape and Red Green...thanks so much for reminding me of that great show I never missed years ago... what ever happened to it? thanks Klahanie for the Utube reference! need to find more shows...

Back
Top Bottom